A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Nintendo 3DS

To be announced at E3 apparently

http://kotaku.com/5499697/nintendo-announces-new-hardware-the-nintendo-3ds

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323.pdf

(In Japanese)

Powerful as a Gamecube I'm hearing, and in 3D without the use of glasses? Can't wait till E3 to see if this is going to be awesome or a stupid gimmick.

Anyway, discuss

Read it, seems too good to be true- i'll only believe this exists after the first week of April.

EDIT: Also it says it will go on sale between April 2010 (Which is right around the corner and makes no sense with no news at all until now) and March 2011. If they were to announce it next month- that's still 2 months before E3.

Let's not forget Nintendo has the new strategy of not telling us anything beyond 12 months at every E3. Which would make sense why 3DS hasn't been announced now but would be this year. The vitality censor being a sole exception which was likely put their as a small sneak peak into the next peripheral.

What also backs this up is they gave out dev kits around February this year to certain companies, one anonymously spoke about it very vaguely, however it did come from a credible source. This gives devs just over 12 months to try out the system so they can make announcements at E3 2011 for a bunch of games. They'll probably roll out more dev kits at the end of the year.

Also the article is from Kotaku which would give it a bit more credibility then the average source, however with all the quotes and misquoting, it's hard to take this article seriously.

To those who think 3DS sounds crazy, look at the leaked information before DSi was announced. It looked just as silly. No one believed Nintendo would put a camera and media player in their handhelds.

So we have phat DS, lite DS, DSi, DSiXL, and now the supposed successor which reads like "DSi but with Gamecube power and 3D gimmickery". Nintendo has a history of exceeding expectations with their hardware, but they also have a penchant for more frivolous "what-if" products like the Super Game Boy, Game Boy Advance Micro, Game Boy Camera/Printer and Game Boy/Gamecube connectivity - things that may have been good in theory but crippled or pointless in practice. You can argue that it's way too early to start judging the system when it's barely been announced, and you'd be right - but it's not so much baseless speculation as keeping the facts (and prior hardware) in mind.

That aside, it's interesting to see Nintendo approaching handheld 3D once again. If I'm not mistaken, it's been about 15 years since they last tried.

I was about to just post "ANOTHER ONE OMFG" until i saw "new hardware series".

If its as strong as the gamecube, that would be a huge jump for the DS. It'd be like the Wii being as strong as an Xbox 360. I'd jump all over it.

Unfortunately i doubt that's the truth. That would mean it'd be only .5 times as strong as the Wii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWAg1s7xfz0

I think it'll be similar to this game already on the DSi, only more advanced.

This isn't to say all games will have 3D, but a more advanced version of that video would be damn awesome

Thats so rad.

It's head-tracking which I was well aware is the one of the few "Non Glasses 3D" methods, but can't be what the 3DS is all about (Considering that game is on the DSi), if it's just more advanced head-tracking then I'm not ready to bite.

I'd get a DSi just to play that game, but now that they announced the 3DS, I have no reason to believe it won't have the camera on it as well (Unless they want to sell the DS, DSi, and 3DS at the same time which will be a pain in the ass.)

I'd be really happy if they just made the 3DS where you'd have to wear glasses for the 3D effect, since doing it this way so far is the best way to show 3D (Trust me, I have a 3D set up for my computer and it's balls to the wall).

I'm not saying that they don't make good games anymore, but all Nintendo talks about now is new-fangled ways to play games. I liked thumbs on buttons.

Well said sir. Glad to see I'm not the only one begging for some classic, handheld action. The PSP certainly delivers on this front but the loading times cripple the pick-up-and-play nature of handheld gaming which is why I prefer DS. I say give us a Gameboy Advance 2.

Well said sir. Glad to see I'm not the only one begging for some classic, handheld action. The PSP certainly delivers on this front but the loading times cripple the pick-up-and-play nature of handheld gaming which is why I prefer DS.

Yea, but the sleep mode on the psp is muuuuch better than the ds, you can keep it in sleep mode for weeks and it won't drain much of the battery, which is why psp is slept on whatever game I'm playing, flip the switch and it's instant gaming time. I think the ds needs to step a little more into the graphical world of the psp.

Not that they have to compare to it, but c'mon nintendo we can do a LITTLE better with our graphics nowadays.

There was the N64, and the GameCube was released after Sega got out of consoles- as is the case with the Wii and DS. Arguably the only releases that really fall into that trap are the Game Boys- although that's a bit different as you could take all your games with you to the next system because it was backwards compatible- which wasn't a widespread feature of the time (and, arguably, still isn't despite the PlayStation and Xbox lines using those kinds of naming conventions).