A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Why am I on this forum?

hRook

I'd say I'm here just cuz I rather enjoy hearing everyone's opinions here, especially on my own stuff, everyone here has a different view, and isn't afraid to voice their opinion. On other forums it seems people are afraid to criticize or even embarrassed to voice their own options.

But you guys are awesome. Even though I fought back against you guys once or twice about certain opinions I have learn to appreciate all of the criticism I've received, and I mean ALL of it.

Other then that I just like to see what you guys are talking about,...its just kind of fun for whatever fucking reason.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say I'm here just cuz I rather enjoy hearing everyone's opinions here, especially on my own stuff, everyone here has a different view, and isn't afraid to voice their opinion. On other forums it seems people are afraid to criticize or even embarrassed to voice their own options.

But you guys are awesome. Even though I fought back against you guys once or twice about certain opinions I have learn to appreciate all of the criticism I've received, and I mean ALL of it.

Other then that I just like to see what you guys are talking about,...its just kind of fun for whatever fucking reason.

Another QFT

I rarely post here nowadays (too lazy to sign in), but I love reading your guys' topics. I enjoy the community here, I guess.

Let me help you with that. Next time you log in, tell it to remember who you are and stop deleting your cookies all the time.

In all seriousness though...

I've got to admit I've been pretty depressed about this community lately... or more accurately my role in it. In the course of the last month... or maybe the last couple months depending on how hard I look at it, I've managed to strain my relationship with the vast majority of the people I was closest to here and every time I say something it seems I put myself a little deeper in the hole. Everything significant I've worked on for here for the past seven years has ended up being some kind of wash and right now the only thing keeping me into it is the hope that the next big thing will work out better.

DW you were the main reason I decided to redo Sonic Time Twisted and make it about 10 times better than it was. Plus you explained to me how to make a decent boss. That really had an impact on the development of my game. So I guess what I'm saying is you make a difference in ways you may not even know about. I know if you left or anything I'd really miss you.

Plus I think things will get better for you. I know in the past I've acted like a total asshole (not saying you are of course) and I've been accepted back. I've had some pretty nasty arguments and have managed to get past those and I think/hope I'm cool with almost everyone here. If I can get past that stuff I'm sure you can too I don't have half the respect you do.

Thanks, but I've got more weighing me down right now than just arguments and people not respecting me. It seems like the sum of my accomplishments are some minor contributions to some engines, a couple of demos all of which have been more than exceeded without my involvement, and a long series of rants lacking any kind of real use due to how fractured and apart they are.

The only way I'm going to get over it is if I manage to turn all of that around somehow.

Don't worry though, wild horses couldn't pull me away from this joint.

DW, I actually used to be somewhat afraid of you for whatever reason when I first joined here in 2008 or whatever it was. I don't even think there was a reason for it either haha. But you're a real cool dude, so don't try and beat yourself up over stuff, I personally think you've done a lot for people here. Besides, shit happens.

Anyway, I come here for the free food. I also work on a fangame at the pace of a snail, so it'll probably never ever happen (college and original projects take priority) but I like just hanging around and seeing what people make. I've got a few fangames here that I keep an eye on because I really like them, and I love seeing new ones pop up that are doing something different.

Oh, right, and I remember when I thought I'd barely post around here too when I first joined. New communities really used to intimidate me, especially Sonic ones since they can be so crazy-messed up. But this place is different from the norm and I like that, as everyone else said it is really chill here.

Because SFGHQ taught me how to spell.

EDIT: I'd like to expand on this post. It's probably gonna sound stupid, but what the hell.

When I came here, around 7 years ago, I pretty much sucked at writing in English. I could speak it pretty good, but other than that, nothing. I spent one year on this forum and became the best speller in my English class. It might sound like a small thing, but in retrospective it helped me a lot.

1) Better spelling helped me get 2nd place in the national English contest in Serbia;

2) That gave me extra points without which I wouldn't have made it into the Philology High School of Serbia;

3) Without getting into that School, my life would be completely different now, and I don't think for the better.

So, thank you, everyone. I doubt it was the intention of the community, but you guys helped me a lot.

Because SFGHQ taught me how to spell.

EDIT: I'd like to expand on this post. It's probably gonna sound stupid, but what the hell.

When I came here, around 7 years ago, I pretty much sucked at writing in English. I could speak it pretty good, but other than that, nothing. I spent one year on this forum and became the best speller in my English class. It might sound like a small thing, but in retrospective it helped me a lot.

1) Better spelling helped me get 2nd place in the national English contest in Serbia;

2) That gave me extra points without which I wouldn't have made it into the Philology High School of Serbia;

3) Without getting into that School, my life would be completely different now, and I don't think for the better.

So, thank you, everyone. I doubt it was the intention of the community, but you guys helped me a lot.

I could speak it pretty good -> I could speak it pretty well

but in retrospective -> but in retrospect

It's really no surprise that you are among the best in Serbia. Near as I can tell, you are pretty fluent and the only things I ever find that I can correct you on these days are missed commonly by around 99.9% of people who speak English as their first language, myself included. Add to that the fact that you are speaking casually on a message board and that's just amazing.

It's the first site I click on the bookmarks sidebar. Always.

Discussions are usually interesting, especially when something particular comes in the debate subforum.

I found the URL in magicgrafx's site, back on the "What the hell is MMF" moments. And this was the first forum I've ever joined, heh.

Also I'm still working (and breaking) test themes and whatnot.

I still have many things to try out and improve. New things soon yeah, right

The reason I first signed up was just the fact that I was a Sonic fan as a kid, and I was new to the idea of creating your own fangames. So I registered and saw all these terrible games and good games, and I think the big question on my mind was, "How long will it take until these games properly resemble the old Mega Drive games"? Bear in mind, this was years back when we were still developing the concept of a static engine - the 360 engine was unheard of.

Jamie Bailey was one of the big names for The Fast Revelation, and there was a lot of hubub around Time Attacked. There was also some fuss over Sonic Epoch (long before it turned into a GBA ROM), but by and large the majority of the games involved jumping and getting caught in the walls - games with no real 'flow', few games with slopes, games with path movement for corkscrews and loops. Stumbling blocks.

Relatively recently, we've had the 360 engine and people jumped on making games with proper loops and springs and powerups and the like, and I guess that answered the first question for me. And yet I stay because instead of the plague of half-finished platform/static engines, we have a plague of half-finished 360 games. I think what I stay for is for games like Robo Blast 1, Double Trouble, One Girl Army, One Shot - games that dare to do something creative, different, and fun with the Sonic brand. Sure, I'm sort of looking forward to games like Emerald Ties and Retro Sonic XG, but in the end they're just the products of genre maturity, rather than pursuing genre innovation. They encourage people to do better with their games, but those games are just going to be more of the same.

Or maybe that's just the weird mumblings of a guy who actually named a game "Sonic Puzzle Attack".

Think I'm with Wesker on this. Had some fun times, though. And I guess if not for finding this place in middle school I wouldn't be pursuing the career I currently am.

You know this is an honest to God true statement. This place was the first place I got any real introduction to programming to, at least in theory. Think about it... dicking around in source code, configuration files, resource hacking, hex editing, Genesis ASM dumps, scripting in MMF, etc. My CS education all draws its routes from this place...

FUCK.