A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Steam for Mac

DJ espeed

Windows users won't be the only ones using Steam after April, I found out earlier into today. According to Valve, Steam's coming to Mac officially. This has to be win, since in the past, you'd have to use CrossOver or Wine to use Steam on a Mac. Yay, easier game buying on Macs!

• 2 weeks later...
Must be shocking that this Windows-favoring statement is coming from a Mac guy, isn't it, wesker? :OMGWTF:

Actually yeah. Most people think their Mac's are made from some sort of exclusive space-aged futuristic hardware that can only be superior to any PC ever made.

Actually yeah. Most people think their Mac's are made from some sort of exclusive space-aged futuristic hardware that can only be superior to any PC ever made.

Meh, I don't waste my time with the Mac v PC deal. I use what I use and am happy using it. I'm sure you'd say the same about what you use.

So yeah, I was thinking about Steam yesterday and I realized something that annoys me to no end...

If I want to play two different Steam games that I own on two different computers, I have to game the system. I mean, both computers belong to me... and both games belong to me... so I should be able to log onto my Steam account from both of them at the same time rather than having to log on with one, go into offline mode with it and then log on to the other.

So yeah, I was thinking about Steam yesterday and I realized something that annoys me to no end...

If I want to play two different Steam games that I own on two different computers, I have to game the system. I mean, both computers belong to me... and both games belong to me... so I should be able to log onto my Steam account from both of them at the same time rather than having to log on with one, go into offline mode with it and then log on to the other.

It stops people from deliberately pirating and getting away with it. by doing this they stop someone from sharing the game with someone and just playing with the other person who has the pirated copy in an online game. makes perfect sense to me.

if you mean SP games then yeah what gives.

Yes. Sure. For the sake of the argument thats exactly what I'm doing.

Actually, it's pretty typical that I'll play two games at once. I've mixed Warcraft with Puyo on DS during the slow times before.

It stops people from deliberately pirating and getting away with it. by doing this they stop someone from sharing the game with someone and just playing with the other person who has the pirated copy in an online game. makes perfect sense to me.

if you mean SP games then yeah what gives.

I don't just mean single player games. If I want to let my brother play Team Fortress on my second computer while I play something else, I should be allowed to do that. I can understand them limiting me to playing my game only once at a given time, but not preventing me from having both played at a time.

• 1 month later...

Personally I think I've had enough of digital downloads for big games. I'm way too attached to the idea that I should be able to let my friends and family members play games I own without having myself be unable to play another game I own. I'm too attached to colorful boxes and manuals. I just like the physical feeling of buying a new game.

I got Borderlands through Steam and I basically never play it. My brother loves the game. I got Orange Box through Steam and I play it all the freakin' time. Technically, it's against TOS just for me to let him use my Steam account at all, and even when I do, I can't be logged in at the same time, so it isn't something I can really do without really gaming the system. It is absolutely stupid that I can't just give him the game off of my Steam Account. The game has to be loaded through Steam anyway, they could always just require that the game not be installed when you send it so that you can't apply some cheesy workaround (and if I wanted to pirate it anyway, I'd just pirate it anyway) I like that with tangible games, you can pass them around. I don't give a damn about selling them, I can count the number of games I've sold in my life on one hand. But when I can't let people borrow what's mine, that annoys me. I don't feel like I own a game then, I feel no different from how I would if I pirated it. And games that I don't actually own just never please me as much as games I do own. I have no idea why that is, it just is.