A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

So Does Anyone Believe Sonic in SMG2?

OverbounD

It really saddens me that people hate on Sunshine so much. I really liked it, and thought the water idea was fun. The only problem I have is that they took out most of the jumps that Mario 64 introduced. And Galaxy was amazing. Seriously.

I don't really see how Sonic in Galaxy 2 would improve it any, but it'd be pretty cool.

Are you serious? Galaxy is your least favorite Mario game? I mean, I'd expect it to at least occupy the space above Lost Levels.

No I was exaggerating. A more accurate placing would be 64 and Sunshine as my #1 and 2, with the originals and the main snes games in-between them and galaxy. Then the mario karts, with all the sports crap and spinoffs far below. I actually don't even count them as real mario games. Sort of like how I don't count ASR, Sega tennis, etc as sonic games. But galaxy just wasn't as innovative or challenging to me as sunshine. I mean i BLAZED through mario galaxy in like 3 days, while sunshine took me weeks. And even now I still fail now and then on the later missions.

Yeah I also agree with your list. The one thing I did like about galaxy even if i didn't enjoy it so much were the superior graphics. I came downstairs and saw him playing the introduction where the meteors are coming down, and I was like wtf they have mario for xbox 360 now? And I saw he was playing the wii, I was amazed.

Mario Galaxy is probably my favorite 3D Mario game. The only complaint I have about that game is the over world wasn't as good as the castle in SM64. Everything else though was better the camera, the controls, and the levels in my opinion.

Also as much as I loved SM64, am I the only one who liked Banjo-Kazooie better?

I thought Super Mario Sunshine had every jump from 64 except the backflip where you hold crouch. And that was redundant anyway because it was just a slightly more controlled, slightly toned down version of the backflip where you just move forward and then backward.

They took out long jump too, iirc. And I loved Sunshine so much. Just hearing you guys talk about it again makes me want to go play it.

Galaxy is one of my favorite Mario games ever. The only thing I didn't like about it was the difficulty level - I breezed through the game pretty much without breaking a sweat. It seems like Nintendo is trying to appeal to casual or new gamers more than their old fanbase. I hear Galaxy 2 is supposed to be more challenging, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Mario Galaxy is probably my favorite 3D Mario game. The only complaint I have about that game is the over world wasn't as good as the castle in SM64.

I see what you're saying, Overbound. I liked that there were sections of the castle that were closed off until you got the key or a certain number of stars in the beginning. In Galaxy, you pretty much knew everything there was, it was just a matter of lighting the place up.

That's exactly what I'm talking about with Galaxy Rael.

On to Sunshine, my biggest problem wasn't with the water pack, rather it was with the levels themselves. Sunshine may have had bigger levels but they felt like a step backward in almost every other aspect compared to SM64. It almost seemed like the designers Sunshine's levels were more interested in making the levels feel "real world" rather than making them fun. One big example is all those useless rooms in that hotel level. Just look at that whole level, there's an outside with chairs, a fountain, and a beach front. Inside the hotel there's a few levels full of small rooms and a ventilation system. Sounds like a nice place to stay but doesn't actually make for a great level in my opinion. Other levels suffer similar problems especially the first level but you get the idea.

Also as much as I loved SM64, am I the only one who liked Banjo-Kazooie better?

Nope! I am a big fan of Banjo-Kazooie as well, and the sequel is great too. I haven't had an N64 in quite some time, but I do have both games on the XBLA. I consider these great games as well :D. I would place them a tiny sliver above Mario 64...I think. Haha.

Mario 64 and Mario galaxy would always compete for the best 3D mario because by design they are vastly different.

When you think about it Mario 64 was insane. To get one star you need 3 skills at the sametimes:

1. Figure out where is hidden the stars, you are grant one hint

2. Once you find the star you must figure out one path to it.

3. Once you figure out the path you must have the skills to perform it.

But that's not all, it's not one puzzle at the times it seven interwoven at the same time! and there not trivial puzzle, they were spatial skill base puzzle. Not counting dynamic element (water level, size change, etc...).

Banjo series, sunshine and DK64 just took that formula and went totally crazy with it while streamlining the design. Heck i remember having explored a whole level in TOOIE without having a clue to where to start, not counting level had influence on each other.

On contrary Galaxy is much more streamline. You don't thought that much and it's closer to smb than any other mario... you cannot "scroll" back. Galaxy kept things focus on plateforming and using planet or area as discrete unit of challenge. Each unit have a very clear goal to clear to proceed to the next. Puzzle if any where trivial and base on repeated element (find piece of star, etc...). It seldom have interwoven challenge. Actually Bowser level in mario 64 are closer to that.

I prefer Mario 64 more, it blew my mind with solid control and clever challenge. I like the spatial puzzle that had put down many of my friends (they don't like running in circle).

However how would sonic play in SMG2, yoshi plays an important role, that mean sonic would ride yoshi? kind of weird isn't it? Would sonic use fire flower? ice flower? drill? it detract from the character too much, but i would like to see sonic in smg if they avoid this, it would be like revisiting level and finding new way to play them with sonic ability (replace yoshi with tails following it, and inflate could be tails flying). A little cameo would be also nice! :ssmile:

Um...why would Sonic be in SMG2? What purpose could he possibly serve (besides being a playable character, which is so ridiculous that I'm not even considering it a viable response)? The face of time attack mode? There's the giant Koopa for that.

I dunno. I call bluff and say TSSZ is biting on the bait of NGamer. UK games journalists love fucking with people.