A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Game Maker's New Logo

OverbounD

Game Maker the program some of us use here to make game just released a new logo. Check it out:

(massive Logo)

GM8_cl_Text.png

I for one cannot believe they think this is "modern" I laughed so hard I can't help but wonder if this is a joke and if you look at the announcement it looks like everyone else is laughing at it as much as I am. What do you guys think?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed people are flipping out over a logo. Does it really affect the performance of the application?

It doesn't. It's just that that new logo will make it look like it's done for kids and that making games is easy, even though it's not for kids and that it isn't easy.

Plus, who would put a smiley on a logo? It looks incredibly unprofessional.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people never really liked the yoyogames takeover of Game Maker. I think this logo just kind of embodies that frustration.

No kidding about one of us being able to do it better. Take my Time Twisted Logo Brad made it looks great and professional.

I'm amazed people are flipping out over a logo. Does it really affect the performance of the application?

It affects the image of the product, as well as the community surrounding it. People unfamiliar with the program will see that dumb face, imagine a community of a bunch of grinning idiots, and look somewhere else for their game making needs.

But now that I think about it, if this was the WINNER, that means the other entries must have been god awful. I mean, this thing doesn't even adhere to the laws of logo design.

1. Simple

2. Readable when shrunk down

3. Reproducible in Black and White

4. No gradients or silly effects

5. Effectively conveys what the product/company is/does.

6. No fucking smileys

But on the bright side, maybe the next version will let people code entirely in emoticons.

I mean, this thing doesn't even adhere to the laws of logo design.
And how many of those laws did the old Game Maker logo break?
4. No gradients or silly effects

5. Effectively conveys what the product/company is/does.

The old logo was a gradient ball with a hammer. And that represents a tool that makes video games?

I know that a gear + smiley isn't the most savory of designs, but they could have done worse.

Also, there are resource editors available that will let you replace images and icons in programs. You can just, you know, use one of those to swap out the new logo with the old one.

I don't think there is a single logo out there for any game creation tool that meets all of those rules.

And people need to stop hating on gradients. Yes, sloppy gradients suck (and 99% of amateur uses of the gradient are absolutely awful), but the gradient itself is still a good tool if used appropriately. The key is subtlety.

I don't think there is a single logo out there for any game creation tool that meets all of those rules.

And people need to stop hating on gradients. Yes, sloppy gradients suck (and 99% of amateur uses of the gradient are absolutely awful), but the gradient itself is still a good tool if used appropriately. The key is subtlety.

The gradient rule is debatable. I've used them, but not on a logo. I can't think of a memorable logo off the top of my head that uses gradients. It'd cause some issues when used on different brochures, websites, prints, one-color print, etc. I suppose if it's not necessary to the design (like fading the borders or something), then it might not be too bad (see: Apple logo, which exists both with and without gradations while still retaining its identity).

And just because no game creation tool has a decent logo doesn't mean they all have to be assy. I know these things are geared towards nerds like us and not Joe Plumber, but if you never heard of game maker, and I pointed you towards a site with that logo, would you honestly download, install, and learn to use it?

The old logo was a gradient ball with a hammer. And that represents a tool that makes video games?

I hated the old logo.

But if you want to grasp for straws, "hammer"..."building"..."build games"? It's still a ball with a hammer on it, but at least it's not a hilariously cheesy smiley fuckface.

I'm sure it'll pop up in one of those silly ads for game colleges.