A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Apple chugs dicks.

Epon

Apple recently released Snow Leopard, tauted as being "smarter, faster, less gay, smaller, etc"... all of which are arguable either way. Personally, I don't give a shit about the OS changes. I actually purchased it for $25 on Amazon JUST TO HAVE! It's so cheap that I couldn't not buy it. Plus, I have a Hackentosh running Leopard and it's fun, but that's about it. At least it feels somewhat legal now :)

Anyway, off topic. My beef today is with Apple's RTM containing the outdated, vulnerable version of Flash or Shockwave (don't remember, not important). People on both sides screamed at each other about this "mess", me being one of them. But my probably isn't with Apple's ignorance (apparently the Gold Master was printed before the update was released), but instead, it's hypocrisy.

Every fucking ad I see about Windows being "bug laden" or "susceptible to crashes" or "virus buttsex" makes me cringe. 95% of the time, it's shitty software or bad programming due to the third parties. But yet, Apple fanboys love to point out these problems. But when the _SAME FUCKING PROBLEM_ occurs, all of a sudden it's "hush hush" and excuses are handed out. That pisses me off. A lot.

Everyone writes crappy code. Everyone writes code that has mistakes. It's nature. That's why patches are pushed out. But until people realize Apple's hypocrisy for an entire marketing campaign to be based around targeting these mistakes, I'm going to say this nice and loud:

Fuck you Steve. Go back to your mole cave and snuggle up with a few more black mock-turtle necks. ___.

TLDR:

Apple's marketing campaign saying Windows is prone to bugs, viruses, and crashes is stupid and hypocritical.

So I gather you haven't actually used Snow Leopard yet? Seems like they changed a bit less that'll actually end up being noticed by the user than Windows 7 does, but at least the whole thing is kinda-sorta 64 bit. And at least there's only one version of it. I'd be much happier if Windows 7 did the same.

It's not hypocrisy when Apple compares its vulnerabilities next to Windows, because in the long run, Windows is a hell of a lot more open to attack.

Yes, maybe YOUR system might be secure, but you've studied computer science at a college; you know what you're doing. But if you give one person a Mac and one person a PC, that PC is going to get fucked up WAAAAY before the Mac is.

Regardless, this is just a marketing campaign. With competition, Apple must do what it can to gain customers. The seed of "viruses" has been planted in the minds of customers.

While Windows has become more secure, it'll be a few years before they live down the stigma of viruses, if ever.

BUT YOU'RE WRONG! That's exactly what I'm getting at!

Ignoring the fact that Apple has a smaller market share, so malcoders won't go after those users, it isn't a matter of the OS security anymore. The infection vectors are thru shitty software. That's my point!

Everybody uses Flash, regardless of the OS. Everybody reads PDFs, regardless of the OS. Everybody uses Java, regardless of the OS!

If the software that renders those things is shit, then it's not Microsoft or Apple's fault -- It's Adobe! It's Sun! It's Mozilla!

That's my point and I'm getting tired of shit from 1998 getting brought up as a 30-second spot.

Scatta: Yeah I know that Apple ditched 32-bit support. That's not really an improvement if you ask me. Apparently the cost to upgrade for a lot of users has topped the initial $30 because of broken applications that don't like 64-bit. As a matter of fact, that's fucking awful. It's just another reason for Apple to justify getting 4+GB of RAM and dumping another $600 into a computer.

Yeah I know that Apple ditched 32-bit support. That's not really an improvement if you ask me. Apparently the cost to upgrade for a lot of users has topped the initial $30 because of broken applications that don't like 64-bit. As a matter of fact, that's fucking awful. It's just another reason for Apple to justify getting 4+GB of RAM and dumping another $600 into a computer.

I could've sworn I read something about it still having a 32-bit kernel or something like that. Maybe I'm mistaken, in which case that kind of sucks. Although my initial thoughts on a single disc/version still stands. Three versions of Windows 7 is 2 versions two many. A single disk with 32-bit/64-bit install option would suffice.

No actually you're right. It's a 32/64-bit hybrid thing. My bad. But here's the catch: if you install and run the 64-bit kernel, 32-bit apps maybe will work, because it's a complete rewrite. It's not emulated or anything like that, but I bet some system calls aren't implemented the same way:

Here's a list of broken shit. Some of it looks important (SPSS, Parallels, etc):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

BUT YOU'RE WRONG! That's exactly what I'm getting at!

Ignoring the fact that Apple has a smaller market share, so malcoders won't go after those users, it isn't a matter of the OS security anymore. The infection vectors are thru shitty software. That's my point!

Everybody uses Flash, regardless of the OS. Everybody reads PDFs, regardless of the OS. Everybody uses Java, regardless of the OS!

If the software that renders those things is shit, then it's not Microsoft or Apple's fault -- It's Adobe! It's Sun! It's Mozilla!

If that's the case, why do these exploits only seem to affect Windows users?

Suppose Adobe Flash was a gun. Windows and Mac are two gun owners. In this situation, Windows is the irresponsible one that uses his gun to clean his ear or to stack donuts, and Mac is the responsible one. Maybe Windows never took gun safety, or maybe he's just retarded, but eventually he's going to shoot himself. Maybe in the foot, the arm, or the head. But chances are, since Mac knows how to handle his weapon, he will not shoot himself.

that's a really bad metaphor

No actually you're right. It's a 32/64-bit hybrid thing. My bad. But here's the catch: if you install and run the 64-bit kernel, 32-bit apps maybe will work, because it's a complete rewrite. It's not emulated or anything like that, but I bet some system calls aren't implemented the same way:

Here's a list of broken shit. Some of it looks important (SPSS, Parallels, etc):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

If it's anything like how linux implements hybrid 32/64 bits, you just need to install the 32 bit libraries to use the apps, well unless the app in question needs to comunicate in a low level with the kernel.

If that's the case, why do these exploits only seem to affect Windows users?

Suppose Adobe Flash was a gun. Windows and Mac are two gun owners. In this situation, Windows is the irresponsible one that uses his gun to clean his ear or to stack donuts, and Mac is the responsible one. Maybe Windows never took gun safety, or maybe he's just retarded, but eventually he's going to shoot himself. Maybe in the foot, the arm, or the head. But chances are, since Mac knows how to handle his weapon, he will not shoot himself.

...what? That's completely off base. Let me explain again.

An exploit in an interpreted language such as JavaScript or Flash's ActionScript is an exploit, regardless of the underlying Operating System. If the infection vector as so much gives access to the file system in someway, then that's bad enough.

Here's a real world example:

A bad dude finds an exploit in PHP. It allows code that lists the server's file system's contents to be run and echo'd back to his console. Guess what? PHP runs on *nix, Mac, Windows, etc... and the exec() function is the same on everyone of those platforms. So he writes a conditional statement for all three OS's and bam, he's in no matter what.

That's not Apple or Microsoft's fault... that's PHP's.

Worm, it's not even that you're wrong, you're not getting my argument. I don't give a fuck about the people who click on the OMG WHO IS THIS CELEBRITY WIN IPOD ads and get infected. I'm talking about the main infection vectors that plague computers today -- portable, scriptable, interpreted languages and runtimes.....

...and it's unfair that Mac continues to lambaste Microsoft for things that it honestly has no control over. That's my point.

I like Macs because they're cool and hip like me. That's why I shaved my head, quit my job, and joined a local band.

The whole Apple thing these days feels more like a statement or a way of (i)Life than anything else. All the ads do is rally this hivemind that so many Mac users have. And when you've got that kind of a cult of personality going, you get all the bullshit we're stuck with now. That's marketing for ya.

And really, no amount of arguing is going to convince the Applecore (I'm trademarking that) otherwise. It's best to let them smell their own farts in their own little world.

• Like 1

The only reason Mac isn't virus-buttsex as you so eloquently put it is because it is generally less in every way. Less users means less software is developed for it. Less software being developed for it means less holes are likely to be uncovered. Coupling that with the fact that only posers and teachers really give that much of a shit about mac OS in the first place and you can see why the people who make viruses just don't give a shit.

Oh I know I'm perfectly aware of that...

I want to reiterate the fact that this isn't a Mac-bashing topic. It's an Apple-bashing topic.

Mac OSX is a perfectly good operating system. Fuck, I'm using it right now on my netbook. It's just that I'm a software developer who wants to make money so why the hell would I code for Macs? I want to make money and programs that work, not smiles and LifeHacker posts :P

People who use Macs for legit reasons (iPhone dev, graphic and movie editing [albeit this is arguable nowadays], or a *nix environment with a non-crappy windowing system) I will never ever make fun of. Hell, even general users who can just work their way around it faster than a PC have a legit reason. I just hate blowjobs who think they're cool because they paid an Apple-tax for allllllll the wrong reasons.