A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Is there any good alternatives to GM or MMF for the Machintosh?

ZFG

Well, MMF2 works well on Wine, so maybe Mac's Darwine could work with it too.

Or you could make a virtual machine with XP and install the programs there.

I personally wouldn't recommend using a virtual machine. I tried it once and it was painfully slow. If you want to use windows, I'd personally recommend setting a 10gb or 20gb partition and dual booting windows. Thats what I've been doing, and it works perfectly.

Well, MMF2 works well on Wine, so maybe Mac's Darwine could work with it too.

Or you could make a virtual machine with XP and install the programs there.

I don't think that is what he's asking for. He wants a native Mac program that will produce Mac games. If he did that, it would still produce exe. So yes, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until a Mac release for one of these programs. We'll update when it does.

Currently existing? None that I know of. Currently being worked on? There's Stencyl which is supposed to be somewhat of an alternative to GM/MMF, but there's no release date in sight and hasn't been one for the last year or two or three that it's been announced.

For now I think you're probably out of luck unless you know enough programming to use SDL.

Game Maker is coming to the Mac with Game Maker 8 I'm almost positive. It will be out by the end of the year so just hang tight.

Considering how heavily designed around DirectX and Windows Messages Game Maker is and how tight-lipped they are about the hyper-delayed port, I'll believe it when I see it.

I think ProSonic is supposed to be based off of MMF's scripting system, although when I checked it out, it was working in a C-like script. If you want to try that out, I know the creator just released the engine for Mac at this year's SAGE.

Blue emerald, youre a saviour! I totally forgot ProSonic. Thanks!

While not particularly designed for 2D games, you might want to take a look at Blender.

Blender has a 3D game engine that runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. While it's designed to make 3D games, you could make 2D games if you want. Blender also has a huge forum and lots of support. You might want to take a look at the Blender artist forums when you find the time.

Ive been taking a look at power game factory, and Im impressed. The user interface is actually really good. Might give it a little bit more. To bad its only Platform.

I personally never used it, it was shown to me by someone looking around for open source game creation IDEs in hopes of finding a good one that is/can be ported to Linux

• 2 weeks later...