A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

One of the most controversial games of our time

Perry_

Today I was doing research into violence in the media and for an assignment I choose to research into the Columbine Massacre as oppose to something like Grand Theft Auto. Those who know, know that the Columbine massacre sparked a flame war towards violent movies, violent music (Marilyn Manson was depicted as violent) and violent video games. And debates rose about how these forms of media effected the children responsible for the massacre. The mainstream American media bombarded anything to do with a slightly possible violent sub culture.

On the sixth anniversary, something even more controversial popped up. A game was made called: "Super Columbine Massacre RPG". Know most of you are either in shock or are laughing at such a ridiculous idea. However there is much more to this game then you may think.

Super Columbine Massacre RPG has the player playing as the two gunman on the day of the massacres where you wake up before school and actually prepare for the attack. You do many tasks which for this discussion I shall not name because all this may be confronting enough for those who haven't heard of this game but you can find a list of the various tasks elsewhere on the web. The second half of the game has the two gunman in an imaginary world of video games mostly made of Doom but has appearances by famous icons like Mario, Pikachu and Megaman.

Now alot of you may now be disgusted by even the idea of this game, it does exist but it is not a game that trivializes the deaths of the innocent people. The game's narrative is carefully laid out and is designed to get you in the mindset of the killers. It provides a very clear suggestion of why they did what they did; they were enacting an ideological demonstration through a terrorist act, and the game shines light on this as an indictment of the American dream and way of life painfully close to the main nerve. It provides great social commentary on American society. It is a game that makes you understand how people become like that because of bullying. The game's creator was also bullied and he made this game so other people can learn their side and show that they were not evil people (evil in the sense on 100% bad). It really shows how a bullied kid's reality is totally distorted. In short, its the story no one truely cared about, everyone else just wanted to pin blame.

So my question is what do you think of this game? You can find out more info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_columbine_massacre_rpg . Do you think that it is just insensitive to the victims or do you think it was one of those true rare games that tells an important story that everyone should know? If you think a book would do better I would disagree, an RPG is the perfect platform to voice a story like this and it really shows the distorted reality and mindset of these two young boys.

The only way for something to become controversial is if people who would make controversy happen were to actually know about said game. Frankly, very few people have heard about this pile of crap, and only a couple even made any kind of fuss over it. Since it never really got on the news in any significant way, it can hardly be called the most controversial game of all time, one of said most controversial games, or even that controversial.

I think the moral of the story here is that the difference between "shitty ass RPG maker game" and "bold and controversial statement on bullying and American culture" is how bloated the creator's sense of self-importance is.

Doesn't a controversy have to revolve around something to make it controversial? This game wasn't even commercial. It was just an RPGMaker game by some kid. I could make a two minute RM2K game right now called "Attack the Towers 2000" and show it to three people, does that mean that I've made the most controversial game ever?

Doesn't a controversy have to revolve around something to make it controversial? This game wasn't even commercial. It was just an RPGMaker game by some kid. I could make a two minute RM2K game right now called "Attack the Towers 2000" and show it to three people, does that mean that I've made the most controversial game ever?

Shirley it should be "Attack the Towers 2001"?

I think it's highly controversial that Link is right-handed in the Wii version of Twilight Princess. That's pretty fuckin' controversial right there.

The Super Columbine Massacre RPG is more in bad taste than it is controversial.

WHY DID THEY FLIP THE ENTIRE GAME?

WIISPORTS LETS ME PICK WHICH HAND I USE THEREFORE IT IS MORE ADVANCED THAT ZELDA GRRRR NINTENDO YOU MAKE ME SO MADDDDDDDD >:(

Also, this game is shit. Bad gameplay, bad presentation, bad taste. I don't mind a game about Colombine (I'd like one), I just wish the pretentious shithead wasn't the first to do it.

It's a RPG Maker game. How can something like that be controversial? I could see if was 3D, but it's using 2D sprites for crying out loud.

It's not really that. There have been controversial games long before the 3D age.

EDIT: Stupid typo.