A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Time Twisted Information Station (New Video) June 6

OverbounD

Alright so why am I showing off this piece of shit? Well I want Time Twisted's water level to be a little more unique this time around. I don't want to use the same tired tiles from from Tidal Tempest and Labyrinth that I used last time.

Trouble is I'm not much of a background artist and when I do create something good it takes a some hand holding. So here's what I'd like I'd like people first to tell me why my rocks suck I can see they suck but I don't really understand why (if that makes sense).

I did a lot of random shading like I've heard is best, I picked a light source left above, I even used tiles from Tidal Tempest and Marble Gardens as reference. Yet the rocks look like shit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1151&stc=1&d=1248047385

Last just to see what I was kinda going for I based the idea for the rocks off this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1152&stc=1&d=1248048340

I'm planning to use this tread to show off new stuff I've created and get it critiqued sort of like Blue Emerald has done with Sonic 4.

post-252-138639763554_thumb.png

post-252-138639763556_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I guess I was thinking contrast in the top and bottom kinda like what was done in Nexus:

PPZearly.PNG

Though I didn't think of it till just now. I swear I wasn't trying to rip you off Brad and its so shitty I doubt you'll care anyway. Btw I'm glad you like the arc I think I might actually keep that part.

So lets what I've learned so far:

contrast

simple shapes

And maybe blue (I like that red a lot too)

I'll come back when I get something new going.

Is that a shape for me to try Blue Frenzy?

Anyway I made another attempt I think this one turned out slightly better but its less original.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1156&stc=1&d=1248246572

What do you think?

On another note I hate how to forum converts stuff to JPG. I know its probably to save space but we deal with a lot of stuff in this forum where every pixel counts so jpgs are a pain.

post-252-138639763565_thumb.jpg

Is that a shape for me to try Blue Frenzy?

Anyway I made another attempt I think this one turned out slightly better but its less original.

[qimg]http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1156&stc=1&d=1248246572[/qimg]

What do you think?

On another note I hate how to forum converts stuff to JPG. I know its probably to save space but we deal with a lot of stuff in this forum where every pixel counts so jpgs are a pain.

Yes. With that shape there is no problem of what you put behind, it will have lots of chances of fitting.

The trouble is I don't have anyway to make it semitransparent without making it an object instead of a tile I don't want to do that. At anyrate I'm starting to think that the glass isn't Sonic CDish enough. The goal of this level is to try to make a water level that doesn't look exactly like Tidal Tempest or Labyrinth. So how about this one?

PP_Forground_Test2.PNG

Is it too GHZish? Should I change the colors at all?

The trouble is I don't have anyway to make it semitransparent without making it an object instead of a tile I don't want to do that. At anyrate I'm starting to think that the glass isn't Sonic CDish enough. The goal of this level is to try to make a water level that doesn't look exactly like Tidal Tempest or Labyrinth. So how about this one?

[qimg]http://www.timetwisted.sonicstrike.net/PP_Forground_Test2.PNG[/qimg]

That looks very nice, But I probably would tinker witht he colors a bit.

[qimg]http://www.timetwisted.sonicstrike.net/PP_Forground_Test2.PNG[/qimg]

It lacks contrast, making them seem a bit pillow-shaded, but this last part only applies for the rocks. Modifying it to be more brownish could work better.

Also I should say you can ignore the edits I did on your rocks/stones, it's a bad habit of mine I guess :X but I think my point can go across even with them.

post-361-138639763573_thumb.png

It lacks contrast, making them seem a bit pillow-shaded, but this last part only applies for the rocks. Modifying it to be more brownish could work better.

Also I should say you can ignore the edits I did on your rocks/stones, it's a bad habit of mine I guess :X but I think my point can go across even with them.

I think it's good that you edited the stones, It gives it a more relistic feel and I love the way you do that too. It's a nice edit in my opinion.

Edit: While I looking at you're website I noticed how I felt the color was kinda off.

rhinoedit.png

Mah not be a good edit but I just wanted you're opinion OB.

• Like 1

I like the Rino but the shading doesn't look as Sonic CD as the current version does IMO. I do like your wheel and horns though so I mixed the two and put SCD badniks next to it to show you what I mean about the shading.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1166&stc=1&d=1249025233

Zenor your version rocks I think I've got what my problem has been making graphics Contrast Contrast Contrast

post-252-138639763574_thumb.png

Yeah, I didn't have all my tools to properly make the sprite with. I had a bit of a limited timeframe to edit it all too since my computer was currently dead at the moment. It basically is a zombie right now because somehow it came back to life.

That'd explain why most of my shading was pretty off. I told Overbound I'd do them for him, so I wanted to make sure I could get them done in time. Nice edits though, I agree most of it looks much better. I don't like the yellow you chose for it though, and it might have too much shading on it compared to the rest of the style of the level. But the rest as I said looks much better.

I think it's good that you edited the stones, It gives it a more relistic feel and I love the way you do that too. It's a nice edit in my opinion.

Edit: While I looking at you're website I noticed how I felt the color was kinda off.

[qimg]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8417/rhinoedit.png[/qimg]

Mah not be a good edit but I just wanted you're opinion OB.

ovrbndsbadnik.png

Okay, now that wheel is pretty awesome. I don't dig the little yellow plate on the head though. I know the others all seem to have it, but it still looks out of place imo. Then again I'm not fond of that yellow plating on the other two badniks from SCD as well.

But you saved me the trouble of going back and fixing up my shading haha. I was actually gonna redo it sometime next week. Guess I don't need to now :P