A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Sonic Knockout: DEMO 5

Vexus

If the creators of Sonic Fusion can do it, then you can do it, too.
If Jesus can walk on the water, then you can do it too. Go give it a try.

Seriously dude, first of all: Both games use different plataforms, Sonic Fusion is made on Multimedia Fusion 2 and Super Sonic Knockout is made on Game Maker.

Secondly the engines settings are a lot different, you can't compare those games. Sonic Fusion's engine was made thinking on the multiplayer when SSK was made more for a singleplayer type of game.

Last thing: There are no "s" on "creator". Sonic Fusion is made just by one single person.

I do wanna see this game in a multiplayer as bad as anyone else, Junior. But let's not make comments like that anymore, unnecessary and uninformed.

And last thing: Don't ever compare fangames like you did. Of course you can say a thing or two like: "Hey, your game looks a lil' bit like that Sonic the Blue Doritos from that guy over the forum." But comparing Fusion, a race-type (normal Sonic) of game with a battle/adventure type, wasn't a smart choice at all. Get it? Got it? Good. ;-)

Also...

Musical things to look forward too in DEMO 5:

- Previously mentioned new trax

- Revamps of older trax

- Something Extra...

Give us a sneak peek, dude. I can't wait til' SAGE (like... One week).

Okay, this is the last Sunday Special until Beta 5 comes out.

First things first:

Progress25.gif

Sorry guys. Too much is still left out, and I don't want Volcan's first impression to be literally half-baked.

Onto some good news then. The demo is finished 100%, so all my attention is on making sure this game doesn't throw and last-minute bugs at you. I'm also going to be releasing a Launch Trailer on the 17th, just before SAGE begins.

Progress25.png

Click here for the full blog post!

It's finally here. After 2 years, Demo 5 has now been released, and all you have to do is click this button:

thumb_game05.gif

- = SUPER SONIC KNOCKOUT: DEMO 5 = -

Click the button to get it now!

I'm just gonna say now that I'll be taking a short break from SSK, because my summer holiday is now over and I've spent a lot of the past month getting the game to this point. Enjoy the game, and if you have something to say, be sure to tell me about it.

Link to the blog-post

Awesome job mang.

I'm serious. Whilst the shop system adds a very unique income to the game, it can be a bit tedious getting the rings to buy everything. Then again, that may just be me.

Performance of the characters are very fluent, and allows you to string combos together.

I adore the emblem and Music Galleries. I like how it feels more and more like an actual game.

I did, however, see one glitch in the system: if you go to story select, and push up on the first mission, it gives an error. It doesn't, however, stop the game from working. Just pointing that out.

I give this a 10/10. Awesome work!

Thanks for the input EarthmasterT.

I feel that once more stages and missions have been added, the process of collecting rings will become less tedious.

The Story Mode glitch has been noted and fixed in the current build. To prevent the box from showing up, don't select Stages 10-15. I'll most likely be releasing a patch soon to fix this and a couple of other things I've missed.

When i ran the game, it didn't take too long to load.

Yes. A Game Maker game didn't take a long time to startup.

That's badass, Pro ShadowBlaze.

And the game is very, very good. I found it hard, though. Those Egg Pawns were vicious and i've to learn how to block properly.

However, there are problems. When i started Story Mode, i got sent to a tutorial level. After i cleared it, the game skipped the battle between Sonic and Gemerl. After i defeated Knuckles, the game then refused to unlock Mission Mode.

I returned to Story Mode, beat the skipped level and finished the mode again. Mission Mode wasn't unlocked, but this happened when i entered the Story menu again:

sskbug.png

It's there, but i can't select it.

And every time i quit the game, it tells me an unexpected error has happened and then closes itself. I suppose i should start a new file to try to unlock Mission Mode.

Not only a GM game that loads fast, but a GM game that doesn't fuck up in wine! :>

Overall, it's pretty solid and fun. The menus are simple, intuitive and well designed. Kudos on that.

However, I do have a little problem with control: When playing story mode, in the "adventure stage" (02), I instinctively hit "atk1" to jump. But "up" is the jump button here.

Looking at the battle stage design, this is obviously an "arena fighter" (I call them this), like the Smash Bros. games. These kind of games really benefit from having a dedicated jump button. It's hard to control yourself mid-jump when hitting "up" makes you, well, jump.

And speaking of jumping, I couldn't get myself to "jump down" (drop down from a platform, like when pressing down+jump in other games). This got me stuck in the adventure stage at a part with a bridge on top, a gray "?" icon below said bridge, and a pair of Egg Pawns. The red one followed me, so I destroyed it. However, the purple one stayed below, and I couldn't drop down to fight it. Going back was not possible because of the camera lock, forcing me to retry the stage.

Sound wise, I love the remixes. And the "music speeding up when someone's close to death" element is a nice touch. But I couldn't hear any sound effects at all (dunno if it was wine acting up though). No punch/kick/hit sounds at all. Only music.

I'll give stage 02 another shot now.

Oh. damn.

I played through the tutorial, but I didn't read anything about that. I remember it skipping texts directly because I was just mashing buttons. :P

Pro ShadowBlaze, you should tweak the tutorial a bit and make each text skip with a delay, or lock control for a few seconds before the player gets to skip it accidentally.

I swear I tried hitting down twice though. :<

attachment.php?attachmentid=1477&stc=1&d=1316328044

attachment.php?attachmentid=1476&stc=1&d=1316328043

wonderful game.

Sonic the Hedgehog is broken, though. First time i knock someone into a wall? They're probably dead. Not only in my hands though -- Sonic's AI is just annoyingly good.

He's not the only one with an infinite combo, though. Everyone has one with the right conditions. Some people (like Sonic and Emerl) have more than one, although Emerl's is much harder to do

Very solid engine, bro. I had fun testing it out :D

I play way too many fighting games.

post-143-138639764844_thumb.png

post-143-138639764847_thumb.png

thumb_game05.gif

I've released a patch for Demo 5, as a response to all the people who have played the game and found those little things that get on everyone's nerves.

If anyone has already downloaded Demo 5, be sure to download it again. There are a whole load of fixes and changes to make this version a more solid experience!

• Like 2

Dude, after some battles in Battle mode, i went to try Training mode and for some reason i couldn't hit the CPU! It couldn't harm me either. Then i entered Nonstop mode and the problem was also there!

Also, after 9 battles in Nonstop mode i got this:

ERROR in

action number 1

of Create Event

for object objMedal:

Error in code at line 5:

if (global.StoryMode[floor(global.stage_number),7]) image_alpha = 0.5;

^

at position 13: Unknown variable StoryMode or array index out of bounds

It didn't crash the game, but it appeared again after every successful battle.

I thought I had fixed those issues. I'll look into them, so thanks for bringing that up.

EDIT: I've checked the bugs out and I've fixed them both for the next build. The first error was down to stupidity. To reverse this glitch, head into Battle Mode and set the Teams Option to "None". The second error with the medal was something I overlooked.

I had a lot of fun with this. ^_^ It's just so polished and full of content - much more so than even the original Sonic Battle it was based on. I'm sure that its replay value would also vastly increase if you have some extra buddies to play with.

I also like the Emblem system, and I hope you'll add more of them trophies in the full game. xD Some random ideas I got for possible Trophies:

- Only damaged opponents while underwater

- Win a match without jumping

- Win a match without changing direction

- Win a match against a CPU on Hard

- KO an opponent using the same character as you

- KO an opponent by throwing them

- Win matches with every character at least once