A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

do you need lots of fancy programs to create a good sonic game?

giglamesh

i've seen a lot of fan-games, and a lot of them look and play very well.

but i was just wondering, since there are a lot of aspects to game creation (backgrounds, enemies programming sonic's actions etc.), do you need a whole load of fancy and expensive prgrams to make this happen?

sorry if this seems like a noob question, just a bit new to all of this

thanks

Yeah, If you're running on Windows, you'd get one of those programs. Not sure about Mac. Expensive? You can do your own extensive research to find out which program is right for you, but here are some price ranges for the most popular programs that people use to make games.

-The Games Factory 2.0 (TGF2) - This is probably the easiest to learn, but at the same time one of the best programs. Information $59.00 + Shipping

-Multimedia Fusion 2.0 (MMF2) - This is an upgrade of The Games Factory 2.0, which has alot more features and more capabilities. Since you're a beginner, I suggest using the Games Factory 2 to save a little money. Information $119.00 + Shipping

-Multimedia Fusion 2.0 Developer (MMF2DEV) - This an upgrade of MMF2, which has the most features and capabilities and such. I use this program personally. It is well worth the price. But it'd be a waste of money for you unless you know how to use it, which is why i suggest you start out with The Games Factory if you were to choose either of these programs. Information $369.00 plus shipping.

-Game Maker 7.0, I don't use this. I haven't seen many good looking games made with it either. However, there are a few people that have made game maker games that have really surpassed some MMF games. So based on that, needless to say it is a good program. Information - FREE But if you want the PRO version it is $25.00 Sadly, the free price is why more people use Game Maker than the above clickteam products. Don't let price cloud your judgement.

Those are the easiest to learn for kids and adults, and also the most fair price for the amazing capabilities of those programs. But if you have some programming knowledge, you might be able to use

-Adobe Flash Professional, $699 Information - Create Flash movies and games. Thousands use this..., it's a bit hard to learn for beginners though. As you can see, it's a hefty price. It is worth it though, if you have the skills.

And there are dozens of programs that you can use to make computer games, these are just some of the things that I use. I don't really use other programs besides these. So, use this as an overview (for quality and price). And search for yourself.

Also, none of these are really expensive if you have a job. Save up 2 paychecks and I can get MMF2 Developer. If you're a kid or young teen though, I can see where you're coming from.

I'd say choose MMF 2 or GameMaker

If you decide to use GameMaker you can find all the Sonic engines to start you off here. I can also help you a bit if you have any questions or anything. Either way you go I'm sure you'll have questions.

As far as which one of those two is better I couldn't say. Game Maker is a bit resource heavy but has a built in script language and pretty much any extension you can think of and there are ways to optimize it. Personally I'd be interested in hearing was Damizean has to say since he's pretty much mastered both programs.

Paint.NET has all but replaced every image editor I've ever used. Massive amounts of plugins, too. I whip open PSP7 only when I need to do some gay effect that is just built in. PS CS4 is used when I need to edit something already made in it.

Paint.NET ftw trust me