A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Let's have an E3 thread

Just saw the Natal stuff on X360. Can't say I'm all that excited really. I mean, it's good technology, it's really interesting. Hell, it's amazing. But unlike the Wii, this won't be system-wide and didn't come with the console. As such I probably won't be shelling out any money for it and not every game will want to employ it. Heck, as I'm watching these videos and writing this, both Milo and the Natal stuff are extremely amazing. I feel like Natal's going to cost an assload- it'll be at least $100, no?

And, no, MS can't cause Nintendo any problems, really. As someone else already pointed out it's an option peripheral that won't be widely supported.

So far nothing too exciting IMO. Best thing for me is a new Metal Gear game that I can actually play...

Announcing more avatar bullshit doesn't even remotely appeal to me. Neither does Natal since as Sef pointed out, they are way too late to the party for it to make a difference. This is year 3 gentlemen, and part way into it at that. We won't be seeing this on shelves for at least another year if it doesn't get shitcanned all together.

with this natal shit being shown, is anyone else getting tired of this push for casual people. I mean yea it's nice that more people are playing games now, but it seems like things are getting dumbed down for everyone else, I like my controller, I want to continue using that shit until I die, I don't need to be doing backflips and looking like an idiot in front of my tv to play a fucking video game. If i wanted to do so i'd do the real thing. It just seems like every developer aside from a very small few (sega actually being included there...) just want to cash in on this casual bullshit. I like the wii, but honestly everythign that involves motion controls boils down to a fucking shallow experience (ie, wii sports, yea I said it).

Super Monkey Ball's totally a harddcore series, as are the Sega All-Star games, yah I agree. :E

Really, though, I'm not sure we can call it "dumbing down" seeing as how the technology involved is pretty intense. And I'm also not sure that the technology used in the Wii or Natal has a damned thing to do with the "casual gamer" outside of not necessarily requiring them to use a controller configuration. When you really look at what a casual game would be, and I admit I hate the term, we're talking puzzles, falling brick games, etc, etc.

There's no denying the technology itself has changed things for the better. I haven't played games on the Wii all too much outside of Smash Bros (which isn't even a "casual game"), but even I can see that it in no way dumbs anything down. Everyone plays Smash Bros a slightly different way now: different configurations across multiple different controllers and everyone has multiple ways to play. There's something to be said about playing a game like that with the Wii-mote and being able to switch off to a GC controller. Your only argument, as well as anyone else I've seen make it, uses Wii Sports or any number of mini-games obviously put together with the main emphasis being solely on the motion functionality and being able to hop in, play, and get out. Congrats.

It's also worth noting that motion controls aren't guaranteed to "boil down to a ... shallow" experience. Go play a light gun game or something. At the very least pick an actual game that isn't a compilation of mini-/party games.

I don't consider light gun games motion control games, first off, yes those games are great on the wii. And yea, you can use several different control types for brawl, but that's not even what i'm talking about. I'm talking about shit like WII MUSIC and animal crossing!, which was the big fucking golden child of last years E3 (what a shut out that press conference was), and their super casual push.

This isn't even about motion control games, it's about the fact that less and less we are getting quality games that you even want to put more than one play through into or even make it to the end of. You notice that everyone is pumping more and more resources into everything from ds/wii fitness extravaganzas to party games.

I'm probably just getting very paranoid but there's a lot of franchises that are just sitting around when good games could be made with them.

On a positive note I'm actually excited for the wiimotionplus and the things it is promising. 1:1 motion + good ideas for games can boost the wii up so much, I actually think red steel 2 might actually be good this time around.

I finished up the Msoft conference am powering through EA's conference. Lots of good stuff so far out of both conferences, and scarily enough I REALLY want to play brutal legend, it reminds me of the type of game conkers' bad fur day was. Heavily story driven action games with some great humor.

So I'm hoping that Nintendo steps it up this year and actually shows me a plethora of kickassery like they used to, they have a lot to make up for over last years show. As for sony, I really can't complain about them, they're trying hard and I never can really find anything negative from their shows except that they tend to be a tad on the boring side, too much numbers.

PS. You all know i'm like the first person to defend things like this on all kinds of levels, I'm just getting tired of defending something like the wii and having nothing to back me up. Nintendo's last 2 big wii games have been mario kart and brawl, which were both great, but I can honestly tell you I haven't bought a single thing for the wii since no more heroes.

PPS Star wars old republic looks fucking awesome, sith vs. jedi pvp!!!!

I suspect Ubisoft's camera may have shot Natal in the foot. I mean, it might turn up sooner and cheaper, not to mention bundled with a fitness game as well as exclusive to a console completely grounded in the mainstream, and I don't see consumers knowing the difference. Combined with Natal coming into the race a tad too late, I can tell that Ubisoft's camera is likely to be more successful, and Natal probably won't get much third-party support.

Shame I probably won't be able to see Nintendo's conference, but I'm fine, considering my Wii collection is more than four times the number of games in my 360 collection...

You tell me that you regard the iPhone as a console, and I shall disregard all future arguments you have just because of this one comment. Seriously, it's a fucking phone that can play games, not a console that you can use as a phone.

I think we'll have to see about the Natal thing. It may be too late, maybe not, this is the business industries and stranger things have happened. I just think this and the Milo thing, if they actually work, are something gaming as a whole can benefit of. Sure, they ripped off the eyetoy and wiimote, but they could use it much better. At least it looks more fun than the Eyetoy, we'll see whether it can do anything against the Wiimote.

Natal might help draw in the home entertainment crowd. It might not boost game sales (now), but it will draw in the elusive family audience. Oh wait, what is the Wii's target audience? The family? Uh oh...

Also, I'd like to see Nintendo bring out Crisis: Day of Disaster and Project H.A.M.M.E.R. but I'm just living in a dream world.

• Like 1

You tell me that you regard the iPhone as a console, and I shall disregard all future arguments you have just because of this one comment. Seriously, it's a fucking phone that can play games, not a console that you can use as a phone.

Regardless, it still applies- exclusivity is exclusivity it doesn't matter where it ends up. If, by some miracle of God, GoW2 was playable on iPhone and had been released alongside the Xbox 360 version, it would not have been a title exclusive to the Xbox 360, hence exclusivity. Doesn't matter what device it is. The N-Gage is considered a handheld game console and yet that doesn't have nearly as much marketshare as the iPhone. And when a title comes out on PC, which by your definition is only a computer that plays games, and not a console that you can use a computer, and the PS3/Xbox360 it isn't considered exclusive to anything.

Natal might help draw in the home entertainment crowd. It might not boost game sales (now), but it will draw in the elusive family audience. Oh wait, what is the Wii's target audience? The family? Uh oh...

Finally, someone who get's the point. And none other than Al himself.

Regardless, it still applies- exclusivity is exclusivity it doesn't matter where it ends up. If, by some miracle of God, GoW2 was playable on iPhone and had been released alongside the Xbox 360 version, it would not have been a title exclusive to the Xbox 360, hence exclusivity. Doesn't matter what device it is. The N-Gage is considered a handheld game console and yet that doesn't have nearly as much marketshare as the iPhone. And when a title comes out on PC, which by your definition is only a computer that plays games, and not a console that you can use a computer, and the PS3/Xbox360 it isn't considered exclusive to anything.

I honestly doubt that in the console wars, the iPhone or other handhelds are relevant. That's a market on its own. Bottom line is, MGS was supposed to be Sony only in this generation, Kojima just proved otherwise, and now you have both Final Fantasy and MGS available on the Xbox, meaning less and less reason to buy a PS3. I have a friend that bought a PS3 because of Soul Calibur 4 and MGS4 + any future MGS games. Now the Darth Vader exclusive for SC4 is DLC, and he's stuck with the crappy PSN online play, while the MGS series turned out to be multiplatform for this generation. The MS conference hurt Sony bad, and it's not like the PS3 had good sales so far.

troll%20treasure%20troll%20doll%20patent%20troll%20Above%20the%20Law%20blog.jpg

Mission accomplished

Also, I'd like to see Nintendo bring out Crisis: Day of Disaster and Project H.A.M.M.E.R. but I'm just living in a dream world.

I was watching someone play that the other night. Probably the most retardedly awesome thing I've ever seen. The dude swims against a tsunami and uses CPR to save people who already died. Awesome.

Oh for fucks sake PG, if you want to derail threads with trolls or something like that, then go to /v/. SFGHQ is I think the last place on the Internet where I can talk about something with minimum use of memes and random stupidity.

Oh hush. I posted actual discussions after each post anyways. Like you haven't ever run jokes into the ground, Mr. Awesome Face Avatar.

Anywho, it seems Kingdom Hearts 1/2 is coming to the Wii, which hints at a possible console leap, should a third game ever be announced. Also, possible Final Mix stuff being released in English.

Nintendo's conference is starting up right now, so we'll have to see what happens. Sony could the the last bastion of the hardcore if Nintendo repeats last year's performance. The idle video thing playing now is talking about "Every Generation". Not looking good.

EDIT: Cammy's the opening act...

Aw shit new super mario game, right off the bat, lets see what we got going on!

Edit: ugh, i wasn't too big of a fan of NSMB, but i guess this could be nea

:D Propellor suit destroys bee suit

The only thing i'm not fond of with that game is the competition aspect of it, that's just going to bring out all kinds of dickery in people.

Yay...wii fit plus...i hope this is the only balance board crap game we see all show, at least not spotlighted.

Reggie is the abusive husband to my black-eyed wife. I'm sure he'll change, you guys :(

Still, WiiMotion Plus should allow us to play the games that we were supposed to be playing 3 years ago. So here's hoping.

EDIT: the opening to WiiResort Plus is pretty neat...Oh man, that basketball game was so clos-NO I WON'T LET YOU HURT ME AGAIN MUST STAY ANGRY.