A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Let's have an E3 thread

Instead of having a bunch of threads like we do every year, like "zoh mah god Link rides a flying saucer now" or "new XBOX 3million announced", I figured it'd be mighty convenient to focus our collective nerdgasms into one thread instead of all over the place.

Since the festivities start a day early (today) with the usual conferences, I figured we'd start with some good old fashioned predictions. What are you guys expecting from the big three, third party companies, and other showcases?

I'm predicting some sort of announcement from Nintendo with regards to their holiday game. Nintendo really emptied their bowels on the audience last year with Wii Music and Animal Crossing, so I wouldn't be surprised if Star Fox or Donkey Kong got some attention this year, seeing how we just recently had our Mario and Zelda fix.

Sony's PSP Hipster Sidekick Go thing has already been pretty much spoiled in its entirety, so I'm guessing we'll see something from God of War 3 (playable?) and an announcement for whatever we're gonna see from PSN now that UMDs are going the way of the dodo.

Lastly, I think Microsoft's gonna play it safe this year, since they're in a pretty good spot. Some new Live stuff will probably be shown, and everyone's saying that Metal Gear Solid 5's teaser site ends during their conference, so it's rumored that it'll be an exclusive for that system.

Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything from OnLive.

Nice predictions, basically what I was thinking.

I am disappointed with the PSP Go, why not just make a PSP2? The Go is the same as the PSP with only superficial changes like no UMD and being lighter. Also, my biggest gripe is that they made the screen smaller. I am definitely going to stick with my PSP 2000, it's perfect enough.

Microsoft conference is going to start as soon as I am at work so I can't watch it live. Hopefully all the big news will be posted here along with everywhere else for me to see.

I'm expecting the Duke Nukem Forever 'closing' to have been a marketing hoax.

I'm also expecting Hideo Kojima to troll the masses some more.

And I'm hoping for a new Chrono game...

I'm predicting some sort of announcement from Nintendo with regards to their holiday game. Nintendo really emptied their bowels on the audience last year with Wii Music and Animal Crossing, so I wouldn't be surprised if Star Fox or Donkey Kong got some attention this year, seeing how we just recently had our Mario and Zelda fix.

As far as I know, Microsoft owns Rare now, so I think Donkey Kong is dead as far as Nintendo consoles go.

Um...Nintendo owns Donkey Kong. They've been making DK games for quite some time (Mario vs Donkey Kong, Jungle Beat, Donkey Konga, etc).

I predict that Duke Nukem Forever will be playable at this year's E3. This year is the year!!

Technically, it's not cancelled. Someone could still finish it. And since EGM is already announced to be coming back from the dead, I'll totally bet on Duke.

Just not this year.

I am disappointed with the PSP Go, why not just make a PSP2? The Go is the same as the PSP with only superficial changes like no UMD and being lighter. Also, my biggest gripe is that they made the screen smaller. I am definitely going to stick with my PSP 2000, it's perfect enough.

Seriously, there's nothing new about it at all. What a waste.

Also, Retro Studios' twitter just updated saying that "fans will be pleasantly surprised in a few hours". Wonder what they've got planned, beside the Prime Trilogy being Wiimade.

Hey, anyone check this out?

http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-s-real-life-psychic-e3-2009-predictions--133545.phtml

Also, Retro Studios supposedly will "pleasantly surprise" us in a few hours... http://twitter.com/retrostudios

What could it be!?!

Lol PG posted it just as I hit post...

I'm too obsessed with Retro Studios for my own good...

Now I'll be sitting through a graduation ceremony speculating...

At least I won't be bored now...

I hate E3 week... I get nothing done...

Um...Nintendo owns Donkey Kong. They've been making DK games for quite some time (Mario vs Donkey Kong, Jungle Beat, Donkey Konga, etc).

I just checked. For some reason, I though Rare took the rights to DK with them when they stopped developing stuff for Nintendo's home consoles.

Technically, it's not cancelled. Someone could still finish it. And since EGM is already announced to be coming back from the dead, I'll totally bet on Duke.

Just not this year.

HA HA HA

I've heard rumors of a new Mario game for Wii. I wonder what they're thinking. Although, I'd like to see Star Fox Wii or the Wii-optimized Zelda.

Microsoft just finished their conference... Holy shit. Final Fantasy for Xbox, Metal Gear Solid (although with Raiden) for Xbox, motion controlled games... And that Milo thing (if it's true)... Ok... Sony and Nintendo are gonna need one hell of a show to survive this...

Also, Left 4 Dead 2 BETTER BE DLC, because I see no point in supporting TF2 after these years, and making a NEW L4D after 1 year.

Eh, as cool as the new tech was (beefed up Eyetoy and a beefed up Wiimote), the game reveals were pretty lackluster. I knew they'd be announcing more online partnerships (Facebook?!) but overall I'm a little underwhelmed.

Also, METAL GEAR SOLID RISING: LIGHTNING BOLT ACTION is the best premise ever. I'm not even going to follow it anymore; when I start that game up, and I'm controlling a lightning bolt, shit's gonna be bangin'.

For the most part, all the games gave me a meh or 'ripoff'. Especially Alan Wake, a Silent Hill 2/LOST/Forbidden Siren ripoff. They also added the narration like in Max Payne, which should exist in noir games, but not in horror games. It ruins immersion.

Now, the beefed up Eyetoy and Wiimote is exactly that, something to undermine both Sony and Nintendo. Sure, it's a beefed up Eyetoy, but how much did Sony actually take advantage of the Eyetoy other than some stupid minigames? This one looks more usable. They will basically steal the whole casual lot from Nintendo if they do this right, and that is not a good thing for Nintendo.

The Milo thing I consider fake, given the same person who promised the Heavens to descend when Fable/Fable II would come out, but if it's true, you have a new era of gaming. Imagine your standard Space Marine FPS? Now imagine it again, only YOU are actually talking to your comrades, and actually giving them ammo or saving their asses.

This all has potential, I just hope they use it better than Nintendo decided to use the Wiimote.

Also, still raging over L4D2.

Also, Left 4 Dead 2 BETTER BE DLC, because I see no point in supporting TF2 after these years, and making a NEW L4D after 1 year.

It's not DLC. Actual sequel, full game priced. Gotta love Valve.

You may start building up anger now.

Also stop posting before me you salubrious reject.

I'm super-pleased about media announcements for the Xbox 360, because this fall is going to be amazing on that front: Zune Marketplace comes to Xbox Live, Zune software updates, and Last.fm streaming. Audio's gonna be flying all over my dorm.

I am disappointed with the PSP Go, why not just make a PSP2?

The DS has had 3 versions, I guess they figure they can ride it as well. Also, they very well can't force people to buy a new handheld, when Nintendo hasn't yet. At least this is something that looks different, I still don't have any idea what the deal was with the last one.

I'm super-pleased about media announcements for the Xbox 360, because this fall is going to be amazing on that front: Zune Marketplace comes to Xbox Live, Zune software updates, and Last.fm streaming. Audio's gonna be flying all over my dorm.

The Facebook, Twitter and Last.fm things are pretty huge. Way to steal the casual community. MS is hurting Nintendo bad IMO, and MGS screwed Sony up. I wonder what kind of Voodoo magic we'll see on tomorrow's conferences...

Also, just watched the EA conference:

Brutal Legends looks awesome.

Mass Effect 2 didn't show as much as it should've.

Dragon Age had only cutscenes, so I can't say anything. The choice of music for the trailer was godawful.

The APB MMO looks really interesting if done right.

Sony's got a shitload of exclusives of thier own already. And they do a much better job of holding onto them than Microsoft (especially since most are first party).

They ain't touching Nintendo either with the motion thingy, it's too late into the game, an optional peripheral, expensive and unproven - why should a third party developer even bother?

Its only purpose so far seems to be one upping Nintendo from a tech standpoint, something PS3 and 360 had been doing from day one anyways.

That's okay. It was just TEN MINUTES OF JAMES TALKING ABOUT THE BACKSTORY, FOLLOWED BY "the game isn't going to be bad, even if it's based on a movie".

At least Red Steel 2 looks badass. Seamlessly switching between guns and swords is pretty neat. EDIT: Okay, this first level has a fanfuckingtastic opening. Almost makes up for the fact that the first 40 minutes had nothing at all.

Its only purpose so far seems to be one upping Nintendo from a tech standpoint, something PS3 and 360 had been doing from day one anyways.

They've been one upping Nintendo as far as graphics go, while the main selling point for Nintendo was the motion control. And MS now doing even that better than Nintendo is not a good thing. It really depends on how MS uses this feature (an EyeToy minigame, or something beyond that), but they could cause Nintendo problems if done right.

@PG: I don't see the current generation consoles there (regarding MGS).