A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Adventure 3

Snooky

This fangame I have been working on for quite a while. Any demos/betas can be found here: http://bsgames.net/sa3

Since the latest (Tails/Knux) demo on that site, I have added the spindash, tailspin (or whatever it's called), and some pretty basic combat with Knux (you can punch XD).

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Trailers:

http://bsgames.net/sa3/media.html

Lava Reef trailer

Super Sonic trailer

SAGE trailer

Angel Island/revamped engine trailer

Screenshots:

http://bsgames.net/sa3/gallery.html

• Like 1

And...I can't figure out how to put these Youtube vids here, there's usually a tag for that :\

You could just... you know... link to the video instead of trying to embed it in our forum. I don't think we can even do that anymore.

I haven't taken a look at the demo yet, maybe I will when I see the video.

[cyborgar@hpz Escritorio]$ cat demo.exe|strings |grep -i cyborg
No matches
[cyborgar@hpz Escritorio]$ cat demo.exe|strings |grep -i blender
No matches
[cyborgar@hpz Escritorio]$ cat demo.exe|strings |grep -i gamemaker
gamemaker_registered
gamemaker_pro

WOOT, i'm clean, *hides*

edit: well from what i could see in the STILLS (wtf?) that are in the video, it loos pretty decent too bad gamemaker games always crash when i try to run them on wine

You could just... you know... link to the video instead of trying to embed it in our forum. I don't think we can even do that anymore.

I haven't taken a look at the demo yet, maybe I will when I see the video.

Meh, you're right XD I'll do that later.

Calling it Sonic Adventure 3 is like a one way ticket to an inescapable development hell. And cursing. But thats aside from the point, this thing is fugly.
This is a Game Maker game. My main concern is gameplay anyway, not graphics.
[cyborgar@hpz Escritorio]$ cat demo.exe|strings |grep -i cyborg

No matches

[cyborgar@hpz Escritorio]$ cat demo.exe|strings |grep -i blender

No matches

[cyborgar@hpz Escritorio]$ cat demo.exe|strings |grep -i gamemaker

gamemaker_registered

gamemaker_pro

WOOT, i'm clean, *hides*

edit: well from what i could see in the STILLS (wtf?) that are in the video, it loos pretty decent too bad gamemaker games always crash when i try to run them on wine

Hmm? Stills? Video? There's no video up XD Your post is confusing me D:

Meh, you're right XD I'll do that later.

This is a Game Maker game. My main concern is gameplay anyway, not graphics.

Hmm? Stills? Video? There's no video up XD Your post is confusing me D:

lol, so, that one is yet another "sonic adventure 3"

If gameplay is what you are going for, you are going to at the bare minimum need to fix the framerate issue. It claims thats 30 frames per second, but it feels more like 4.

It claims nothing of the sort, the desired speed is 30 FPS, if it runs slower that's your computer :P But I'll work on that.

you'd think developers could get a little creative and original with their titles? title aside, this looks like an intersting project. But if you aren't concerned with graphics, you make sure the engine goes as smooth as possible, and that it doesnt start looking like you rushed it together. That could be the worst thing to do, in combination with the title you gave the game.

you'd think developers could get a little creative and original with their titles? title aside, this looks like an intersting project. But if you aren't concerned with graphics, you make sure the engine goes as smooth as possible, and that it doesnt start looking like you rushed it together. That could be the worst thing to do, in combination with the title you gave the game.

People, it's called Sonic Adventure 3 because it comes directly after Sonic Adventure 2 plot-wise. XP

Angel Island, Ice Cap, Aquatic City. . .

So, is this going to be Sonic 3 in 3D, then?

Game looks promising overall. We don't get too many 3D Sonic fangames around here, so here's hoping that this game shows a lot of improvements over the following months.

Well there are other levels too...there's the Death Egg, oh wait...uhh, there's Lava Reef...shit. (I just wanted to make some nice references :P)

It claims nothing of the sort, the desired speed is 30 FPS, if it runs slower that's your computer :P But I'll work on that.

My computer?

Intel q6600 (4 cores at 2.4 ghz overclocked to 2.8 ghz)

Geforce 8800GT 512 MB

4 GB of DDR2-800 RAM

And I'll just leave it as that. The FPS counter is showing a constant 30.0. IE - the game is lying.

My computer?

Intel q6600 (4 cores at 2.4 ghz overclocked to 2.8 ghz)

Geforce 8800GT 512 MB

4 GB of DDR2-800 RAM

And I'll just leave it as that. The FPS counter is showing a constant 30.0. IE - the game is lying.

It runs near full speed on mine...and are you sure that 30 isn't the 2nd number? As in... (actual FPS)/30?

And I'm saying it's lying. I think I know the difference between 30 frames per second and 5 frames per second...

Well that's a problem with Game Maker, not me :\ Or Vista, you should try running it on XP :P (font tells all)

So uh, why are your "videos" just slideshows instead of, you know, actual video footage of the game? It's horribly misleading O_o

So I tried out your game, here are my gripes about it:

-Bad controls. I'm sorry, but there are people in this world that hate WASD controls. Please add the option for user configurable control setups, or better yet joypad suport!

-Also, there are people that don't like mouselook. You know, like people that try to play your game on a laptop which has a trackpad instead of a mouse, leading to awkward camera controls... maybe WASD should be for the camera and the arrow keys for player control?

-Sonic instantly dies upon touching water... I think I speak for many people here when I say this is one thing people hate about modern 3D Sonic games. Oh and it also doesn't help that i had to use the jump dash to get across a pit, only to instead homing attack the last badnik in a chain on another path, leading me to inevitable death.

-I right-clicked:

ERROR in

action number 1

of Mouse Event for Glob Right Pressed

for object sonic:

Error in code at line 1:

if room = jungle_coast

at position 11: Unknown variable jungle_coast

Well that's a problem with Game Maker, not me :\ Or Vista, you should try running it on XP :P (font tells all)

I run other game maker games fine. The problem more likely comes from whatever non-standard library you are using for your 3D stuff. Regardless, I'm not installing XP just so that I can play with a game that has a 99% chance of being scrapped within the next few months. Not anything against you personally. That's just whats typical.

So uh, why are your "videos" just slideshows instead of, you know, actual video footage of the game? It's horribly misleading O_o
I tried recording with Camtasia, terrible lag. Screenshots seem to impress people just as well XD
So I tried out your game, here are my gripes about it:

-Bad controls. I'm sorry, but there are people in this world that hate WASD controls. Please add the option for user configurable control setups, or better yet joypad suport!

Will do.
-Also, there are people that don't like mouselook. You know, like people that try to play your game on a laptop which has a trackpad instead of a mouse, leading to awkward camera controls... maybe WASD should be for the camera and the arrow keys for player control?
I tried playing this on a laptop once, no easy feat XD I'm already planning on trying some different camera movement methods...
-Sonic instantly dies upon touching water... I think I speak for many people here when I say this is one thing people hate about modern 3D Sonic games. Oh and it also doesn't help that i had to use the jump dash to get across a pit, only to instead homing attack the last badnik in a chain on another path, leading me to inevitable death.

-I right-clicked: (error message)

Dammit >_< Which demo is that? I thought I fixed all those DX

I run other game maker games fine. The problem more likely comes from whatever non-standard library you are using for your 3D stuff. Regardless, I'm not installing XP just so that I can play with a game that has a 99% chance of being scrapped within the next few months. Not anything against you personally. That's just whats typical.
Hell no, this isn't getting scrapped XD And I'm using regular d3d for this, I have no clue what the problem could be.

And I just meant if you have a computer in your house already running XP, you could use that :P

Videos?

I don't see any videos in this thread.

Videos imply motion, not a montage of screenshots. If you have screenshots, get a Photobucket account and post them here. Don't just link to Youtube. Because as much as you might like a song you are using, I can load and look at the screenshots in a much higher resolution without having to scan around a video.

Videos?

I don't see any videos in this thread.

Videos imply motion, not a montage of screenshots. If you have screenshots, get a Photobucket account and post them here. Don't just link to Youtube. Because as much as you might like a song you are using, I can load and look at the screenshots in a much higher resolution without having to scan around a video.

The videos weren't made for the sole purpose of being on this site, and as I've already explained, the people on Youtube seem satisfied with screens XD

I'll post some later, when I'm not about to pass out.

I would if I wasn't already so far on it XD

If it's for the sake of improvement(and the players' eyes), I'd atleast give the effort of trying to move it to one of those. That number of polygons should not drop my computer's frame rates down to 28, knowing KCCh keeps it steady at 60 for me(that's DarkBasic Pro, but yeah).

As for the camera, I suggest you have keys for turning the camera left/right, and not use the mouse at all. Also have it so it always gradually turns toward the direction Sonic's facing. I think the rate at which the camera turns should be related to Sonic's speed, though perhaps that may make things dizzy. As far as I've played SA/SADX, I'm pretty sure that's the way it worked, except for the few fixed camera sections.