A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Dr Robotnik Fangame Discussion

Thread says it all. If you decided to make a fangame focusing on the Eggman, how would it work - genre, gameplay, gimmicks, plot, etc? It would be interesting to hear from SFGHQ newcomers as well as veterans, simply for the contrast of perspective and ideas - wild brainstorming sessions are just as helpful as formal feature lists and possible event annotations.

I'd make the game involve mechs and stuff. I'd probably put Robotnik up against GUN or something, since just fighting little animals would be pretty boring, with Sonic and crew as bosses. The mechs would be nothing extravagant, just Eggmobile additions, like a walker, a submarine, a helicopter, and such. When not in a mech, I'd give Eggie one of those snazzy laser guns that the Egg Robos had. I'd maybe make the game more exploration oriented, since it couldn't focus much on speed.

Alot of people are making a Robotnik fangame mostly based on a popular YouTube poop.

Yeah, but I don't think this discussion was meant for retarded people.

I could partly see it working out like a realtime strategy game, in which your units would be the badniks and you'd have to create, handle, and dispatch them in ways that can defeat Sonic & co. and keep you safe. Certain occasions could call for you to whip out a machine and tackle them head on of course.

Btw, I think this should be in the R&D forum.

I'd make it a shmup where Eggman just starts shooting the hell out of everything, and flies around the world bombing things and shootin' stuff, and then like Tails and Sonic would fly up on the tornado and try to kick his ass, but Eggman is prepared, and he collects an upgrade that spontaneously materializes out of thin air, and kicks the shit out of them, and then they explode, but holy shit, GUN comes up and they're in this giant mech, with smaller mechs around it, and there's missiles flying every fucking where and then Eggman beats it but then holy shit (again) it's Knuckles gliding around punching him in the ass, and then Eggman blows up the capitol building with a death beam and wins the world. Holy shit.

Or it could make some sense. Either way.

Have to admit, I laughed at the part near the end. The rest of it just seems like a typical meme collectathon, although I like the idea of the presentation being sort of based on the Game Boy setup.

I'd make the game involve mechs and stuff. I'd probably put Robotnik up against GUN or something, since just fighting little animals would be pretty boring, with Sonic and crew as bosses. [...] I'd maybe make the game more exploration oriented, since it couldn't focus much on speed.

So just to recap - are you suggesting a more Metroidvania (exploration + powerups/robots to access certain areas) or Metal Slug (run/gun/platform and hijacking machines) approach?

I could partly see it working out like a realtime strategy game, in which your units would be the badniks and you'd have to create, handle, and dispatch them in ways that can defeat Sonic & co. and keep you safe.

I'm not a big fan of RTS games, but somehow this idea really appeals to me. Like, you could set up shop on a specific map or zone and the objective could be to either kill Sonic before he gets to you, or just wait out the fight for 10 turns (Time Over). You could even have Robotnik in a zone-specific machine as the strongest unit on the map, but his defeat would mean an automatic failure so you couldn't just go out all guns blazing.

Btw, I think this should be in the R&D forum.

I'll PM a mod.

I'd make it a shmup where [loads of awesome shit happens]

Sounds cool. When you say SHMUP, do you mean horizontal or vertical? And do you have any particular inspiration or any other gimmicks in mind? (I was thinking Progear at first, but then a biplane avatar would probably work better if Tails was the protagonist and maybe Sonic was the hitbox.)

So just to recap - are you suggesting a more Metroidvania (exploration + powerups/robots to access certain areas) or Metal Slug (run/gun/platform and hijacking machines) approach?

Both, actually, without the run and gun.

I have been thinking the same thing. How could a Robotnik fangame work. The way it could work if Dr.Robotnik went around collecting pieces of scrap metal to upgrade his machinery. Maybe a 2D sidescroller of Robotnik using his Egg Walker from SA2.

I could partly see it working out like a realtime strategy game, in which your units would be the badniks and you'd have to create, handle, and dispatch them in ways that can defeat Sonic & co. and keep you safe. Certain occasions could call for you to whip out a machine and tackle them head on of course.

You just put a thought in my head:

Super Robot Taisen: Sonic Edition :D

Y'know, when you think about it, that would be an interesting game. You'd choose one "robot leader": Robotnik, Nega-Robotnik, GUN Commander, Metal Sonic, Tails (Tails and GUN would be good, Robotnik and Nega would be evil, and you could choose a side as Metal), and then you'd play their story commanding either Badniks, droids, or military vehicles.

. . . I realize I was only joking about this at the beginning, but when I seriously think it over, someone really should do this.

I'd make it a sort of Pikmin style puzzle/adventure RTS game where you build and control robots with a variety of functions to kill enemies and clear obstacles. I mean pikmin as in the control style, not in the concept of collecting shit of course. Though collecting shit might work well too... seeing as you could collect robot parts and stuff.

Less isometric, more flat. Just like a vertical shooter but rotated 45 degrees.

Ok, cool. Any other ideas to seperate this SHMUP from the crowd?

I had this idea for a sky pirate-theme SHMUP that could still sort of apply to a Robotnik game. Spoilered for wall of text.

I always thought this would be a cool idea for a SHMUP - you're the captain of a crew of air pirates, commandeering a flying ship and shooting down other scallywags in the sky. The more ships you shoot, you more swag you snag - the more loot you have, the better to upgrade. The more money you have though, the heavier and slower your ship, and if you don't dump it overboard fast (to recover in a bonus stage) you'll risk losing the lot anyway in a volley of cannonfire. At the end of the level you can choose to upgrade your ship, adding more weapons, better durability, and a more powerful engine - though of course if you get shot to blazes, you won't be able to salvage all your fine work.

I wonder if Supachao is still working on his Robotnik fangame... that thing looked awesome.

First I've heard of it. What did he call the project?

Thanks for the redirect by the way!

You just put a thought in my head:

Super Robot Taisen: Sonic Edition :D

Super Robot Wars, the series with dinky deformed models of famous anime robots fighting it out? That's... actually kind of a novel idea. Maybe you could use the bosses from the Genesis Sonic games, and team up against larger enemies later on, like Biohazard, the Death Egg boss, Egg Viper, Perfect Chaos, etc?

For some reason when the strategy idea came up, I was thinking more along the lines of Final Fantasy Tactics or even Advance Wars. Ha... Sonic Advance Wars.

I'd make it a sort of Pikmin style puzzle/adventure RTS game where you build and control robots with a variety of functions to kill enemies and clear obstacles.

This could also possibly work as a Chao-themed game. :(<

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok heres another idea. I know not of Eggmans origin but... I know the "Origin" story lines have gone round in circles many a time, and this may make some sense. Imagin Egman as a young fellow. Slim and trim in some sort of para/military senario. Then the Run & gun, Metal Slug aspect would be in order. Maybe have the plot line run in the direction of completing the neccesary objectives required to become the Eggman we all know.

Or... As again... slim and trim, working as a robotics engineer / doc / scientist in some sort of military research facility. You could go in a puzzle game direction there.

Origins are a very successful take on a character's story line.