A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog // (The Sonic OVA fan game)

P3DR0

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

(Posted on Retro and totally forgot to post in here... Oh well)

HfByr6t.png

We've redone our model, there ain't any textures yet, nor does it have any sort of rig (so we can't pose him) but it's pretty much done, and looking lovely. We've taken criticism in consideration and everything else, and we're very happy with the final output.

Lemme know what do you guys think, hate it, love it, just shoot it away. :3

Sorry man, but I really don't like that model. His mouth looks really strange (possibly too high up for example) as well as the shader is making the muzzle shape look really odd as well. I can't tell if that is just from the shader though or if it is actually modelled all lopsided. His head in general looks a bit strange to me as a whole too... as well as the proportions on the body. I am also not really digging the squareness of the shoes.

Sorry to be a downer about it dude but I kinda liked the one you had in earlier videos better - that you used to make the sprites from (or whatever you did for the 2D videos above).

HfByr6t.png

Not a big fan of that new model. With some more work it could be much better imo. You probably won't care about my opinion but I do just want to help. So I'll try to explain how this could be personally imo better. I do understand modeling is hard work but surely the changes I'm about to suggest are not impossible for you if you agree with any of them.

The shape of the eyes are awkward. they just have a bad flow to them. There are of course different styles for his eyes you can do but the overall-look of these just don't artistically look good atm. This will be a bit hard to explain since I don't know which artistic style you want for this model but if I was going take a guess from a older picture of yours...

crxkQ.jpg

I'd say you modeled his eyes to big & they should have a more sideways oval shape & look sharper shaped overall, they should curve more into his muzzle instead of going down & hitting the outside edge oh his cheeks as much.

His muzzle is to small, It also should come out from his head more. his face looks to sunken in atm.

The mouth needs to be lower.

His nose needs to be bigger.

The belly patch needs to be a bit smaller and higher up on his body.

The arms are a bit to skinny & to long.

His legs need to be more noodly shaped.

The torso needs to be a bit longer or just bigger perhaps. Not quite sure, it atm just looks really awkward to me.

Not a fan of his quills atm, Looking from the art the quills should be shorter with his bottom ones especially so. His top spike should point upwards more. they all also need a more plumper & sharper shape to them at the same time.

his ears should be less round shaped.

---

Well anyways. I hope my opinions can help you in someway dude.

You know Fumetsusozo, you could have come up with at least one positive thing to say for all of your complaints. It's hardly a bad model even if it has some quirks. It at least looks like something different than the classic Sonic model from Generations, and if it didn't then really what would have been the point in modeling it in the first place.

You know Fumetsusozo, you could have come up with at least one positive thing to say for all of your complaints. It's hardly a bad model even if it has some quirks. It at least looks like something different than the classic Sonic model from Generations, and if it didn't then really what would have been the point in modeling it in the first place.

Nonsense. I was trying to help the guy in my own way. But perhaps it was a bit to rude, Sorry about that. But I myself am a artist and he asked for feedback so I felt to give what I could. So I gave him my honest opinion. which all it was. I respect the guy honestly and I just feel he could do much better. I really liked his design ideas in the art. But whining at me won't help him grow. And you liking the model yourself does not change my opinion. Try not act all fanboy on me and try not to attack anybody that does not share your own opinions. Plus I never said he should make it look like Generations Sonic. which was a nice looking model I do have to say. but is besides any point. anyways to keep this from turning into a argument, I won't reply to any more posts such as yours on this topic that are complaining about me giving criticism. If somebody asks for feedback then I am allowed to share my opinion. simple as that. it's not hate or me trying to be rude. It's me simply trying to help. like any good reviewer. Sure it would had been nice of me to say something I liked about the model. except there was not much I could imo. The shoes looked ok to me but are not my type of thing so I just left it alone. which left me with nothing much good to say besides the fact I do like the original concept from the arts.

PS: I am sorry if I come off as a jerk to anyone. I do my best to be as nice & friendly while still staying true to my real feelings as possible.

I like it more than the older versions you made because it does look different from the generations model.

Your current model seems to capture sonic's old "attitude" better. The way the mouth sits up on the muzzle is a bit odd, but overall I like the newer one better.

I also think the shoes are a major improvement to sonic in general. I personally liked sonic's Soap Shoes alot more than anything he's gained over the years. They were just a better fit for his new proportions, not to mention the grinding plate which made sense at the time.

Forgive me if this is going a bit off topic. it's just I'm not sure what some people seem to have against the Generations model anyways?. Is it just that people want to see others try to be as original as possible with their own models? That's fine if so. I almost always believe it's awesome to be original.

But if it's actually that some of you dislike the generations model then I don't understand as it was one of best looking classic 3D Sonic models i've seen yet. True It was not perfect, imo it looked a bit odd in some small ways. but it was still really good.

• 6 months later...

Ey, SFGHQ!

A little piece of trivia for you guys:

What is pink, warm, soft and pretty?

Amy Rose, of course.

jZJuMxP.png

Amy joins the adventure. What is her place in all of this? Only time will tell.

Amy has recieved a big design change, but also we wanted to bring back her original personality from the classic era. Goodbye obnoxious borderline pyschopath trying to get Sonic to marry her. Welcome back Sonic's number 1 fan in the whole world.

Now that should be interesting.

Also, keep an eye open. There is something coming up in the next few weeks or so.