A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New skin enabled! Update Apr 11

GSF

• 2 months later...

Ya got me there... I forgot to give him that file when I sent the Amy skin elements. Well, it'll be next time... Wonder what can I add (oh yeah, pink skin icons of course. I can take advantage of that batch.)

EDIT: Updated few things. Soft SFGHQ no longer uses stuff from photobucket, and Pink uses a little less. Once the other icons for Pink are ready, it will be free from the slow PB thing,

Also, progress icon updated! Try editing a post or making quick replies progress.gif

• 1 month later...

D-post, but this is a quick little update:

Soft has a no-scrolling BG by default. It causes slow scrolling on certain PC-browser-extension configurations, so now you can choose a no scrolling variant from the skin menu. It's simply a child theme with a different CSS.

This way, you don't need any extension to fiddle with it.

Depending on your tastes, you'll might like the scrolling BG, but as the squared motif can cause flickering (it especially did when it had the horizontal line pattern ala old phpBB skin), the no-scroll variant is preferred if speed isn't greatly affected.

• 5 months later...

UPDATES:

SFGHQ Soft now has a few improvements, present in a new child skin named 'Soft Plus'. Panels have a slight "3D look" like the pink skin. Also, text has shadows.

Text shadow is a CSS3 property, so you should try this variant only if you use a browser that supports said property (Firefox 3.1 or above, Safari, Chrome, Arora).

Using shadows doesn't slow down FF to a crawl unlike other CSS3 properties, so you should be fine. If you want the old look, the standard Soft skin is available as always.

Also, I was going to replace the edit, quote, and whatever buttons with CSS based boxes, which would light up when hovered with the cursor. I had no trouble making that work... except for the "Quote" button you see in the posts. For some reason, vBulletin has no option at all to remove this thing. I checked the old SD archives I have, and it's the same. Every vB forum I visit has said button, and the only "customization" that can be done to it is a replacement of the original quote.gif file. I can't even change it's alt text...

Apparently the quote button can be turned off through usergroup options, but that would eliminate the feature. It's quite strange, all the other buttons can be switched without problems.

The header is still the same, but I will work on improvements for it. As for the odd inconsistent borders, I'm still trying to find the way to make them even. Tried removing all borders then adding them again, but some parts always remain without any borders at all, so I'll keep checking on that.

I might work on a more 'CSS3 heavy' skin later, as I'm practicing all the new properties and capabilities.

Edit: Scratch that, this version lacks the static background, I was just stuck on the old one... which I have no idea why it was even more choppy than usual. The new one does away with the static background and generally makes it a lot more usable on Firefox 3.

As for the text shadow.... eh, it'll take some getting used to.

Done. Now the main parent skin is the fastest option, without fixed BG. Plus has the CSS3 stuff. And then, [Fixed BG] is the parent skin + the fixed background (without CSS3).

EDIT: Well, I leave the third alternative. The previous set-up was kinda unconvenient, as the default skin (parent) had the fixed BG, causing most browsers (and guests/new members) to suffer slow scrolling. Now if anyone prefers a fixed BG, the second child should cover it.

To sum up, now the default guest/new member skin should be faster, Plus and the fixed BG modes are presented as alternatives for whoever prefers them (and have no problems with the support in their browsers).

To use the same classic (and more compatible) look from before simply use Soft (the parent skin). For additional effects, Plus. And if the background scrolling is annoying, then the Fixed variant.

Hmm.. I don't know how I feel about the shadowed text. It seems kind of hard to read overwhelming- particularly on the index page...

It varies quite a lot depending on the browser/font rendering. Trying this on Windows without Cleartype on won't be nice.

I'll try adjusting it a little bit more.

EDIT: Now shadows are lighter, making the text way more readable. If font smoothing is not available, or the resolution is low, the original classic variant is highly recommended.

Here's a screenshot comparing text with and without shadows, with the current configuration (shadows were waaaaay too dark before, now it's better, compared to the first configuration implemented).

sfghqsoft_comp.png

(might be different depending on the OS font smoothing and the browser).

@espeed: Yeah, Webkit browsers are the best options. Gecko (FF) does work with some parts, but using transparent boxes and other heavy things makes it horribly slow.

Trident (IE) shouldn't even be able to render the shadows, so there's nothing Plus when you use that. I've read that IE9 will supposedly get its ass moving and support more stuff, though.

Shadowed text - I'm ok with it, but I really want the old soft back.

Uh... Old Soft was never gone, I think the order was changed though.

Well, just select one of the other two variants, they don't have the beveled squares. The parent skin is the best option, as fixed BG will probably slow down scrolling.