A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New skin enabled! Update Apr 11

GSF

You mean the main text, i.e. this exact section, or the dark blue gradient used in titlebars? The gradient will be changed soon, as I mentioned in the first post, because it's a little short and needs some changes in the color.

Btw, where does that display? I went to his profile and it said he wasn't a member of any public groups.

Here. Shame it isn't more visible.

The only thing that bothers me slightly are that some buttons such as [qimg]http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/sfghqskin/buttons/reply.gif[/qimg] are slightly hard to read (I am short sighted, cant wear glasses as they mess up my eyesight even more) but I can live with it.

I completely agree - the buttons are fine over a post, but the Add Reply and New Topic buttons are hard to read over the checkered background. Think you can fix that, gsoft?

You mean the main text, i.e. this exact section, or the dark blue gradient used in titlebars? The gradient will be changed soon, as I mentioned in the first post, because it's a little short and needs some changes in the color.

Yes, the main section, and the tables where it says "Welcome, X".

Maybe it just needs to be a bit less saturated, it just doesn't seem like there's enough contrast. (The text color of the links, such as the member title are kindof hard to see too)

Besides that I feel like I'm back in 2004. X3

Hm... maybe adding a slight outline would mark the buttons better, just like the outline in the text of the buttons.

I'll see what I can do.

As for the Forum Leaders link, it can be placed in the main bar, next to User CP et al. 'Groups' or something like that. In the templates that can be edited IIRC.

You ought to make the table borders more consistent thickness-wise. You also ought not use tables considering it goes against W3C standards.

There is some clash going on with all the different checker sizes, scanline angles, and gradients. Just by glancing, I've noticed that there are horizontal scanlines overlaying the background pattern, 45-degree scanlines overlaying forum icons, and something like 33-degree scanlines overlaying the table headers. Each different angle is a different pattern, and the same goes for the different sizes of checkers (background and other table headers). Essentially, there are 5 patterns going on all at the same time, and when combined with all the gradients, it's a bit overwhelming. Beauty lies within simplicity. I think if you decided on 2 patterns (One checker size, one scanline angle) or less, it'll take a lot of the clutter out. Also, consider that scanlines were a design trend in 2001 and that they started going out by 2003.

Color wise, everything meshes pretty well. My only qualm is the background color at the top of the gradient in the quick reply box. It's got a little more red in it than the rest of the layout, giving it a slight purple tint. It doesn't work.

I don't mean to be offensive or anything. Consider this constructive criticism. You've done a good job so far, and you've definitely done a lot more than many others would do, which deserves commendation and respect. And because of that respect, I don't believe you deserve for me to sugarcoat my critique.

If I catch anything else, I'll let you know.

@HRook: Thanks for the opinions. Well, the BG is the same as the one in the old skin, but I had many other different ones in mind, though.

And like I mentioned before, these table header gradients will be changed since they're small. I still have a chance to change its pattern now...

I think it'd be the same 33º lines in the gradients and the background. I'll try and see how it looks.

About the tables, I don't know much about 'em, but I only modified images and CSS of the original default vB theme (which is hidden). If you can explain this a little more, I'll try what I can to make it better. Thanks a lot!

@dnlhern: I'll make another skin eventually, I already have some ideas in mind. And two unused vB skins stored too...

EDIT: Here are the updated images. Once Smidge's back, I'll ask him to upload these.

gradient_tcat.gif

gradient_thead.png

New BG: sf_bg.gif (I tested it, and looks way better, I think.)

As for the header, any ideas would be awesome.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...