A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

One Tree Rapture

Zal

Like I said on MSN, it's f'in sweet. Seriously. I love that tree to death. )_);

I noticed a few things you may want to take into account:

- The largest rock looks like it's pasted onto the grass. Like you did for the other rocks, you should place a few tufts of grass over the rock.

- There's an absence of shadowing. It's like...the tree has all these magnificent shades of green...and the grass has like three. Actually four. It's strange though - while I notice this lack of shading, it doesn't look bad at all.

- Going to what Dami said, some colors indeed need more contrast. I didn't notice the darkest shade of grass near where the rocks start until I zoomed in to see. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the shades of green on the grass are completely separate from the shades of green on the tree. It's best to reuse colors when dealing with pixelart, especially when the shades are so close.

So ironic that I should be critiquing this piece because I love it that much. Great work.

That's ok Blyde, because I value your opinion. Also I know this needs a fair bit of work, but I just threw something together, and you do have valid points and like Dami said the contrast may need some sprucing up.

However in my defence, this monitor I was using is crap. It's about twice as dark as a normal one so I tried my best with this situation.

What the ither guys suggested are good critques. However, I don't think that all those things affect the picture that much. I love the way it looks, regardless of contrast and shadows. If you added shadows and a few tufts of grass around that rock, it'd be more secks than it is now...if that's even possible =P. Zal skill +1