A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SEGA comes back to hardware... with a portable media device

Neo Hazard

There's some dream that lives with certain people that SEGA will one day make another console. I doubt it will ever happen, but that doesn't mean they won't make crap like this:

20081003segavis03.jpg

It's basically a combination of every media player that tries something "new." I can't imagine this thing having very good battery life, and according to this YouTube video, it's as big as a credit card. Yeah, that's really usable.

The biggest problem I have with the portable TV thing is that all TV stations are going digital next year, and if it can't pick those up, that function will pretty much be useless in the U.S. (I have no idea about other countries.)

Here are some sources and whatnot:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/03/sega_vision/

http://www.seganerds.com/2008/10/04/the-sega-vision-is-real-apparently/

Is it any bit worth it? Do you care? Probably not...

Yeah, Sega has fucked up so many franchises and "good ideas" in the past 5 years that i don't give a shit what they announce anymore. They might as well just merge with EA so people can stop getting their hopes up, because they half-ass everything they do.

Unleashed looks to be a nice exception. Regardless the people who dislike it, theres no denying the effort put into what they've shown. Kind of like Sonic Heroes.

Phantasy Star Universe however? They fucked that ALL the way up.

that looks like a modern cellphone without phone functions

edit:

Further investigation on our part finds the Sega Vision isn’t actually a Sega-developed device at all, and in fact a cheap Chinese iPod-style alternative, rebranded with the name of the fallen hardware company.

LMAO, sega branded chinese shit

The biggest problem I have with the portable TV thing is that all TV stations are going digital next year, and if it can't pick those up, that function will pretty much be useless in the U.S. (I have no idea about other countries.)

That means they would HAVE to make it pick up the broadcasted HD signal (yes they already broadcast HD TV over the air.), I wonder if they're smart enough to think about something like that.

That means they would HAVE to make it pick up the broadcasted HD signal (yes they already broadcast HD TV over the air.), I wonder if they're smart enough to think about something like that.

emphasize how SG needed a pronoun for "sega," because it would be grammatically incorrect putting sega and smart in the same sentence

I stuck with the AC adaptor after my recharables got fried. From that point on, I just played Triple Trouble huddled against the wall in my living room.

I still have the Game Gear. It's actually in my desk as I type this. Maybe I'll boot it up and try beating Sonic 2. It took me years to get all of the emeralds and shit in TT.

Yeah, the battery life is pretty much what killed the Game Gear.
game gear sucked

The game gear killed Sega, and since batteries killed the Game Gear, batteries killed Sega... Wait, what?

OT: Sega is not going back to the hardware business. Sega is not going to make great games again. Sega is too busy being Japan's EA alternative. EA sucks. Logical deduction: Sega sucks too. Littlefoot's mom is dead, Bambi's mom is dead, Earthworm Jim is dead, Sega is dead, life sucks like that. End of story. Go run an emulator and remember how good life was before, because it won't get any better.

OT: Sega is not going back to the hardware business. Sega is not going to make great games again. Sega is too busy being Japan's EA alternative. EA sucks. Logical deduction: Sega sucks too. Littlefoot's mom is dead, Bambi's mom is dead, Earthworm Jim is dead, Sega is dead, life sucks like that. End of story. Go run an emulator and remember how good life was before, because it won't get any better.

i cant agree more, branding cheap chinese crap is not a "return to the hardware business"

i cant agree more, branding cheap chinese crap is not a "return to the hardware business"

You seem to be thinking of it as more of gaming hardware, which it's clearly not. Yes, it's "chinese crap," but it's a form of hardware, none the less.

I could say how wrong you are and everything, but it's too bad I agree 100%.

SEGA is Michael Jackson, they have better kill themselves

really, expecting sega to be great like it was in the past is like expecting MJ to be black and awesome again.

If you're saying I think there's any hope for SEGA to make a comeback, then that Michael Jackson thing sums my thoughts up pretty well.