A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New oldschool Sonic project screenies

Cstyler

Hi.

When my 'Shadow TH2' fangame will be finished, I'll create oldschool Sonic-game, based on Damizean's Sonic-Worlds engine.

There's no name yet.

Here is few screenshots, check it:

http://smages.com/i/4e/5b/4e5bea9b159822236e3792444f666d33.png

http://smages.com/i/1c/ff/1cffc085c8d7290bfca86be04759bd63.png

http://smages.com/i/97/dc/97dc210bd725e575b2f5e95d96dc40f7.png

Your comments?..

I actually don't mind the dark style of the graphics since it's complimented by high contrast. Heh, I'm sure I recognize some of the photoshop effects you're using. =P

If you use whatever effect/s you're using on Sonic so that not is he just cellshaded, but has the same scratchy/sketchy style, then it'll look great.

I'd kinda keep this project on the down low for now though so you can get your first project over and done with. =]

So its come down to this. Anyone can make an "old school fangame" by taking the worlds engine and throwing in some fancy new graphics.

Seriously, someone wow me already. Do more than just make a game old school with new levels. This is starting to make rom hacks look enticing.

Sorry to take it out on your project cstyler, I'm sure you're working hard, but one of these topics was going to get hit eventually.

That said, the screenshots have substance, but that tree really bugs me for some reason. Almost looks like it was ripped from Klik n play's default library. Maybe its just THAT treeful.

Must say, as the only one who apparently thinks it, I don't like the photoshopped Sonic 2 and 3 graphics. Those pre-made paint effects that come with photoshop are quite frankly, terrible. They don't work for retro.

Also ila, fair enough, a lot of people are just slapping new graphics on worlds, but it's better than nothing being made at all. What if this has badass bosses, awesome levels and killer special stages? It may not, but it may be original. I think the thing to be thankful for is that he's adding new graphics to worlds. I'm personally sick of people putting Sega's backgrounds, un-edited at all into worlds and just tweaking the engine a bit. That's nothing special.

So its come down to this. Anyone can make an "old school fangame" by taking the worlds engine and throwing in some fancy new graphics.

Seriously, someone wow me already. Do more than just make a game old school with new levels. This is starting to make rom hacks look enticing.

I think I can count the number of atypical Sonic fangames on one hand. And most of them would probably be pre-static, let alone before and after the Worlds source was released. What do you suppose the incentive is for people to just slap ripped tiles onto an engine and call it a day - minimum effort, maximum brownnosing?

Come to think of it, what's the incentive for people to break from the norm? Are they scared that people will shit on them because their idea wouldn't make for a 'proper' fangame?

Come to think of it, what's the incentive for people to break from the norm? Are they scared that people will shit on them because their idea wouldn't make for a 'proper' fangame?

Or- It could just be that people want to create a game of their own, and god forbid not everyone is an awesome programmer, so they use resources which were supplied for them under that exact premise.

Jesus who'd dare do that.

Oh, this kid.

I'd say there are plenty of unorthodox Sonic fangames in development right now... two of which I an site as using some form of the Worlds engine.

And let's not forget Ironrind's weirdass game. When you break it down, you could probably say the number of games using an existing Sonic model for their design that actually go somewhere is about equal to the number of games that don't use an existing model.

To be honest, I do say the overuse of the Worlds engine as a bit of a problem. On one hand, many people will take it and do creative and great things with it. On another, many people will see it as doing all the work for them so all they need to do is add some new graphics and they can get away with anything.

From what I've seen, Worlds is expandable enough for people to write their own gimmicks and additional game features fairly easily, but you probably need to have a deep understanding of how Worlds works. Many people will download it, look at the source, go "WTF!?" and then decide to just rearrange the test level a little and paste in some new art. It won't be terrible, but it won't be that original.

Guess it just comes with the Engine. Back when Static was hot, a lot of people would request engines. Now one's freely available, it's kinda inevitable.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying you can't really say you weren't preprared for this sort of thing to happen :P

In any case, I'm not using Worlds for either of my Prototypes the now. I'd love to work some test Boss Battles into it at some point (Since I'm downright balls at Sonic Level Design and not afraid to admit it), but I'll admit the idea of making "Another Retro Sonic Style Game" doesn't appeal right now since TFH, RSXG and Nexus are powering on and doing a fine enough job as it stands :D

On another, many people will see it as doing all the work for them so all they need to do is add some new graphics and they can get away with anything.

Those same people never finish what they start anyway, so it isn't really a problem.

In any case, I'm not using Worlds for either of my Prototypes the now. I'd love to work some test Boss Battles into it at some point (Since I'm downright balls at Sonic Level Design and not afraid to admit it), but I'll admit the idea of making "Another Retro Sonic Game" doesn't appeal right now since TFH, RSXG and Nexus are powering on and doing a fine enough job as it stands

Fated Hour isn't retro in the slightest.

Fated Hour isn't retro in the slightest.

I figured someone'd catch me on that, but from what I've seen of the videos and demos, it very much is.

It does have a *lot* of new features, concepts and gameplay elements, but the underlying core framework is decidingly retro

I guess by Retro I mean "Traditional" ie. 2D Platforming, Slopes, Rings, Loops, Badnicks, Springs, TVs, etc. Stop me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen of it so far there's definetly retro elements in there.