A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Chrome

OverbounD

I can definitely see that. It's mighty arrogant the way they rearrange the entire user interface, adding and subtracting functionality without options to modify them and act like it's some amazingly intuitive design. I personally hate tabs being at the very top with tiny text above a bar with huge text and huge buttons which I never use. Nor do I like how they completely get rid of the options bar in favor of a single button which only houses about 1/10 of the features.

Guh. And I loathe occluding rectangles which pop out of the woodwork when you hover over a link and use the search.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Google's plan to get us better web browsers does work...

Firefox 3's been bugging me lately, such that I can't wait till Konqueror fully switches to webkit...

I do hope that this should spur more innovation in the underlying browser technology....

I wouldn't call the change in interface arrogant. They did after all say that this was a browser that they like. Heck, it's open source and if it becomes anything like firefox you'll see many, many browsers and programs (sunbird for one) modify it and make it better.

The best part though is the use of Webkit over the Gecko rendering engine. Gecko is a bloated mess, like this post...

In fact, those changes that people dislike should hopefully spurr people to either modify, or use the good internal design concepts to improve their favorite browsers...

I'll take a look at the source code later. I can't wait to see what modifications to the entire thing can be done, and how cleanly (or not) the code is written...

I just hope the linux version will be QT4 based... Heck, all the versions should be QT4 based...

Pardon my word choice, I'm still reeling from the sheer ridiculousness of the whole 40-page self-promoting webcomic thing. Particularly the fact that it's the only way to get information on the browser from the download page and there was no way to navigate it besides "next and previous." Also some short video snippits, but they hardly give much information. I don't fault the actual browser for it, though I do feel like more intuitive documentation is needed for such a change. It's still a whole "bludgeoning you over the head with design" thing which has bugged me from the install procedure. I am, on the other hand, rather impressed with its interior workings, in so far as they surface in my everyday browsing.

So I'm sick of Firefox 3. I downloaded Chrome, and I would use it if it didn't freeze for three minutes at a time. It only takes up about 2-5% of my computer's memory, even when frozen, but it just locks itself up all the time. Time to uninstall. Maybe I'll take a look at it again when it's not in its beta form anymore.

Now to look at Opera...

So I'm sick of Firefox 3. I downloaded Chrome, and I would use it if it didn't freeze for three minutes at a time. It only takes up about 2-5% of my computer's memory, even when frozen, but it just locks itself up all the time. Time to uninstall. Maybe I'll take a look at it again when it's not in its beta form anymore.

Now to look at Opera...

You always have Internet Explorer...

God. don't get me started on IE. Anyway, I think Chrome is pretty fucking cool. It just wish it let me set the character encoding for Japanese or other language based pages. I haven't had any crashes. Then again, I only used it for like 10 minutes. Opera is all right. Its interface really bugs me. Seems bulky.

• 2 weeks later...

@Azu: I turned off most of the interface on Opera so I only have the essentials visible. It makes it very uncluttered even compared to Firefox as well as give me a large area for websites to be viewed in.

@Topic: Chrome is actually pretty cool; I love the minimalist appearance since I'm never a fan of lots of features at the expense of an easy-to-use interface. It works pretty fast too, though it uses way more run time memory than it probably should. ( Each tab takes around 20,000 and the program itself around 10,000. Not cool. ) I'll probably be using it as soon as they release a more complete version.

• 2 weeks later...