A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Rawr makes music and the artz

Rawr

Tossin' around some character ideas.

I wrote that underneath my first sketch of it...it wasn't for certain that I wasn't going to improve on them.

But from your post, your reasons sound like you just don't want to try harder, and see nothing wrong with that.

Is what you said, but I never said that I've never wanted to try harder, but first I have to get the idea train going and then:

If I like where things are going, I'll eventually start building upon it.

So for it being too derivative, whatever...I haven't even fleshed out the characters at all other than a very vague idea. Yes, the one I'll give you for sure is the big brawler guy, but the biggest reason I drew him was because I can't draw big buff people very well. So it was a form of practice more than anything. To be honest I've been trying to re-design him since he looks too much like Vash The Stampede for my liking.

Also if you want a good example of something very well liked that was even more derivative than this, look no further than Gurren Lagann. It all falls down to whether or not the writing of the cliche storm was good or not. And yes, I've also gotten rid of many ideas I've thought were shit too. I never even said I was using these characters for anything at all yet.

the idea looks just plain bad.

The -idea- looks bad to you. That doesn't mean if I did anything with it I couldn't make it good if I wrote it, because as that article even stated that it all comes down to how you write it. If I were to actually build with this as a starting point, the final idea would be vastly different/fleshed out in the end anyway. Thats why it was the first sketch, when designing stuff things end up changing as you develop the world/story/characters. Surely you don't just run with an idea and go with it only after the first sketch of it. A friend and I have been working on a comic idea for a long time now and we're still not even out of the designing phases because we want to get it right. Its not that I don't try when I want to.

the idea looks just plain bad.
The -idea- looks bad to you.
but from where I'm standing, the idea looks just plain bad.

Also, don't use Gurren Laggan as an example. It uses cliches because it deconstructs them. Big difference.

If you expand this idea into something great, then even better. I'd rather be proven wrong and something productive coming out of it (doesn't matter whose work it is), than being right and everything ending there.

• 1 month later...

SONICSPRIT.png

WIP. I am probably gonna fix up his face some when running and stuff. I also need to fix his hand when running, but for the most part things are working correctly thus far. I've tested it in Game Maker. Reason why I am doing Sonic first? So I can alter him into Knuckles and Shade after since his body was the easiest to make a sprite for. These are completely custom, though I used the Sonic 3 sprites heavily for reference (as you can see by me having the frames on the page) because I'm aiming for what would be that 'next step' in the sprites. Such as going from Sonic 2's sprite to Sonic 3 etc. So...yeah. Things work pretty alright when I tested them.

As it says though, don't use them please (followed by LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL).

I did this uhh...last weekend after I was really frustrated about life.

• 4 weeks later...

New song, "Sand"

Its really really rough still, I make a lot of mistakes on the guitar (especially the solo area) and the mastering is pretty shittastic on it. I haven't really made a music track in a while. I've recorded down ideas and stuff, but thats about it.

Edit: Oh right, and a videogame track too:

BLARGH

Still working on that too. As with the other 3 tracks in that gallery album, its not like they are actually for anything right now rofl.

• 2 weeks later...

XD I guess my statement wasn't clear enough.

I ment I don't see people like you too often who do art and are really bad at programming. Which makes people like me who are good at programming but bad at art hard to find team mates cause all the spriters work on their own stuff

Oh, gotcha! Unfortunately yeah I generally don't have time to start teaming up with people. I'm in college and while right now I am on a 2 week break, once college starts up again I get real busy. Its hard to find the time to even work on my own projects, let alone stuff for others D:

• 2 weeks later...

First some fangame concepts:

fangameconcepts.png

I'm thinking that the penguin enemy will either barf out snowballs, or shoot them from a cannon on his chest. This is my first badnik I've designed, so bare with me. These were also done a few days ago. Anyway, its for my ice level which I think is the first one I am going to work on to show off since it might even be my first level of my game (just to break the trend). As for the bottom doodles they are really quick boss ideas. I was thinking that the fight could take place in some sort of cavernous room. He would move to one side and shoot these ice-walls at you that have spikes on them except for one area which you can either walk through as Knuckles, teleport through as Shade, or jump through. Since I haven't figured out Shade's abilities 100% if it includes a teleport I'll make it so she can only teleport through safe areas unless there is something specific I will allow, not sure yet. Anyway, after Eggman does his little round of that he will move to the center up out of harms way (or so he believes) and begin to charge up some snow blast or something, which is where you have to climb the wall as Knuckles and glide over to attack him. For Shade, I haven't figured out if she is going to have a reflective ability in which case I'd make it a missile or two that you can reflect back at him.

Obviously that is bound to change, and of course I'd have to learn how to program it first, but its just my concept. I would post this in my fangame thread but I don't want to until I get more things finalized.

I'm also working on a webcomic, not anything I've announced in here (sadly I do have a 2 chapter script written for one comic that I am not ready to tackle at my current art ability I don't think). This webcomic is going to just be something I don't really plan ahead with haha.

Anyway. That wraps this up!

Rawr be gone this is MFZB's thread!

How about a cat the barfs hair balls that bounce away like that pig badnik in Sonic 1.

In all seriousness now, these are some neat ideas. I like that boss idea I have some ideas of my own that were just inspired by your boss.

Picture this Eggman flying left to right at the top creating frozen ice pieces that drop on you. They would line up in a row so as the cover the whole platform knuckles stood on except for one spot. This ice wall made up of smaller ice pieces would all drop at once down to the floor and knuckles would have to dodge these.

Now as far as making the boss venerable that can go in one of 2 ways.

First I'll explain the Sonic CD way shown in the picture below. Eggman is hanging on the ceiling by a poll. When the ice falls it doesn't break or disappear it just stays there as a platform eventually you will build yourself up high enough were you can reach eggman hit him once and he dies.

Second is the Sonic 1 through ...sigh... 4 way. -_- Anyway stead of being attached to the ceiling eggman is flying around to create these ice pieces. After maybe 2 times once of this attack once left to right once right to left, eggman gets mad and dashes down at you with his machine. This is your chance to hit him, hit him 8 times he dies.

You could probably combined these two methods of in some way too. What do you think of this take on your idea?

icebossconcept.png

Another idea would be to take off the spikes and make Knuckles have to climb up the wall to escape. The danger being a second still wall on the other side. If knuckles doesn't get through dead. Sounds pretty hard to me actually.

I'll make a proper mockup of my idea after and comment more on your ideas, I actually have to go do something right now but I have read them :). I'll try and whip up a mockup of somesort later today.

Thanks! And yeah, thats something more present in my digital work than any traditional stuff, but I do most of my stuff on the computer haha. Usually when I sketch on the computer it gets really messy, but not when I sketch traditionally (or at least not near as much, not every sketch is uber clean).

I'm trying to work on it however! Slowly its gotten better, but I've got a ways to go before I'll have clean digital sketches too I think.

So I was bored last night, and yeah, I still need to do that mockup thing for my boss fight, but I've been lazy. Anyway, I was bored last night and decided to revisit a concept from last year, its getting close to a full year now since I drew the initial concept of those fish people characters.

characters-1.png

I think I've improved a lot lol. The originals are somewhere back in the topic, at least the bad guy doesn't look so Golduckish anymore (he kept drawing that comparison haha). I even drew him in pretty much the same pose. I pretty much redesigned the girl though.

Just some quick sketch/colour work.

The black thing looks like some Legendary Pokemon/Digimon coated in Zone of Enders. I honestly hope the Cthulhu head is his helmet because it looks awesome.

The chick looks pretty cool too. Do the goggles do anything?

Everything looks pretty awesome, all in all.

• 2 weeks later...

The goggles are temporary, I just didn't think of anything when doing that drawing to put there instead since I wanted that part not to be so bare. Thanks!

Anyway, here is a comic page that is about a month old now almost. I meant to finish it, but the idea burnt out. I was going to do this as a temporary webcomic until I got my major idea off the ground, but I don't really like where this one was going so far and while I was enthusiastic about it the day I did it, I don't like it much now. But here is a glimpse into what it might have been like (I have a version partially lined back at my house, but I'm at school right now)

page1sketch.png

I love her expression in the lower left corner.

I was going to do this as a temporary webcomic until I got my major idea off the ground, but I don't really like where this one was going so far and while I was enthusiastic about it the day I did it, I don't like it much now.

Then the idea is not worth going for, or really is bad. I usually leave something I write for a few days before I decide whether I want to show it to anybody. A few days is enough for you to gain some objectivity.

The reason I didn't like it was because after this page it would be like...then what haha. I had some funny ideas and such, but I never wrote any of it down since I wanted something I could do for fun, but it ended up not turning out the way I wanted. I think the problem was that there was no real idea...just two characters and that was it haha.

But yeah, that panel was fun to draw. I actually was hoping I'd continue with this because the boss that 'fired' her was a really goofy character, but yeah, I really don't want to.

A couple quick sketches of the main characters from my comic I'm still writing (the characters are Red and Badwolf). Mainly Red I drew in these sketches. Its obvious to see what the names represent though I'm putting my own twist on everything entirely (Red's a dude for example haha...a badass dude), but I won't go too in depth since I'm still writing and still chipping away slowly at it. But it has swords, and action, and swords being used in this action. The fun stuff to draw. Oh, and a motorcycle, Red has a motorbike and its pretty cool. There is (hopefully) going to be a motorbike samurai sword fight.

redwol.png

Redisawesome.png

Oh, it was also done in paintchats too, so that heart there I didn't draw lawl.

and then these are a bit older from like a month ago:

sketches2-1.png