A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic and the Black Knight. Yeah.

So, wait, they've given up on Sonic Unleashed already?

OT: And here I was thinking one day could pass without my faith in humanity declining. Thanks Sega. How about giving that sword to somebody who should actually use it, like WONDERBOY, who you left in the oblivion of the Mega Drive era...

But why Sonic? I played through the whole Wonderboy series last month and the game was awesome, they could have made a sword game with him. They've given Shadow a gun, they've given Sonic a hoverboard, they've given Sonic lycanthropy, and now a sword. And it easily have been any other member of their franchise: the hoverboard to Alex Kidd (anyone remember the BMX game for the Master System?), the werewolf thing could have been put in a better Altered Beast game, the sword to Wonderboy, and anyone can wield a damn gun... It's like all their trademarks died, and Sonic has to fill in for the characters. I expect a Sonic in Shinobi world very soon...

(lolbandwagon)

I'm still waiting for Sonic to don purple tights and go flying around enemies, blowing them up in the process.

MANDATORY NIGHTS REFERENCE!

On a more serious note, I still say that we're focused too much on Sonic games being Sonic, and forgetting about whether or not they're fun. This could turn out well if done properly.

Of course, that's what I ALWAYS say when Sonic Team does something weird.

After that, It'll be Sonic and the Dark Knight. Made in association with Midway to go along with the DC vs MK thing.

I was making a national joke. Gambit and BioWare are both French.

Funny how the blurb mentions "fit for a king" and "its got a lot of heart". Normally you could put two and two together and... but apparently not.

Funny how the blurb mentions "fit for a king" and "its got a lot of heart". Normally you could put two and two together and... but apparently not.

They also said it was MOTHER(FUCKING) 3. Followed by two "just kidding"s. Oh Nintendo Power! You are masters of wit. Next issue will be 54 pages of Rick Astley.

Thats actually kind of clever. Too clever. Way too clever if you expect anyone to get it!

Ok, everybody, the bets are on: "What will Sonic be in his next game?"

a)Vampire

b)Demonslayer

c)Rule34'd

So far we've had gunslinger (if you count Shadow the Hedgehog as a part of the Sonic games), werewolf, and now swordwielder. What does SEGA have in store for us next year?

Duckboy: Stfu, why do you think he's wearing a that metal glove thing over his other glove? Support.

ShootingStar: Umm.. no. I think the problem is that what we've been getting is often bug-ridden. Go watch the latest video of Sonic Unleashed and watch the interviewer's face as he plays. Doesn't look like he's having fun and he's also witnessed a death due to bugginess and bottomless pits.

In a way, I could see this making cool animation in my head: Sonic charging toward a group of enemies, skidding through a group of enemies with his sword out, slashing them down, and home-stabbing something in the face. For gameplay.. it could be cool, but most likely not. I'd rather Knuckles get a sweet sword, if anyone has to. I definitely feel like they're taking the series in a Zelda-like direction where each new game isn't going to be the sequel to another game, but a very different "reimagining." Cool and all if it's done right but umm..

..I don't really mind the image of him holding the sword. What bothers me more is the inconsistency with their look lately (always?). They've got gritty bits for the metal plates on his gauntlet and dirty textures for the sword. Why not bring back the worn feel of his shoes that Shadow the Hedgehog had. There's one thing I loved about that game: the look. Like, just having a little more fun with him would do wonders. Sonic's superfast, so his shoes could do with a few splatters, scuff marks, and scrapes. Actual fabric-looking texture for his gloves/the cuffs/straps of his shoes. It'd go a long way.

Nuh-uh. Shoes in Next were squeaky clean, Shadow the Hedgehog grittied it up to go with the "dark" atmosphere. Overall, though, I think the Sonic Riders series comes closest to looking "next gen" or whatever you want to call it. Granted, it's pretty out-there with the mad phat kicks, looking like they put a younger fan in charge, but at the same time, I kind of like it. It doesn't really seem to try and be something it's not. Granted, in-game they completely remove every texture and it look blah. :P

In other news, while randomly going on that graphic hunt, I came across this and couldn't figure out what game it had been for, so I was about to bookmark it and saw StH. I haven't beaten the game yet, but did any of that stuff from the first trailer (with the running through the grass, turning super over a crapload of robots) ever come into play in the actual game? =/