A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Mario Kingdoms (Video! =O)

Nitemare

Thought I might as well post a few shots of what I intend to release a demo of at SAGE, it's all going pretty smoothly at the moment so I'm hoping to have something pretty decent ready by then.

mk1.png

mk2.png

mk3.png

mk4.png

mk5.png

mk6.png

mk7.png

I'm keeping it all very simple, there's no real story other than Peach got kidnapped by Bowser again, thus, Mario has to go save her by playing through all the Kingdoms. (There's gonna be eight, one being the Mushroom Kingdom, all connected together so you can travel between them via pipes and such.)

Crit away, will try to get a few new shots up every so often.

Update:

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/josephwaters/?action=view&current=SMKClip-1.flv

Nice little video teaser before sage, woo.

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually finding it more fun to make than Sonic, since you can do anything a bit mental and it works just 'cause it's Mario. I've pretty much no knowledge of Mario other than playing it once or twice and watching a few videos so its more how I want it to play, rather than an exact clone. Hopefully it'll be taken well!

tiny.png

Tiny Mario!

I am actually finding it more fun to make than Sonic, since you can do anything a bit mental and it works just 'cause it's Mario. I've pretty much no knowledge of Mario other than playing it once or twice and watching a few videos so its more how I want it to play, rather than an exact clone. Hopefully it'll be taken well!

[qimg]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/josephwaters/tiny.png[/qimg]

Tiny Mario!

That is so true, you can make a Mario game without any trouble at all. I think that's why MFGG is so popular now. When I was a lot younger I and a friend made a game called Goomba's Revenge 2 it was great and played just like a Mario game, even though I knew very little about Mario. But my friend released it before I had fixed some of the bugs and I lost the source file. Long story short there's a very buggy version of it running around the internet but its no where near as good at that source I had.

That is so true, you can make a Mario game without any trouble at all.

I'd say that's a bit of a stab in the dark. It's not as though making a Mario game is exactly easy, problems can happen.

That being said, Nite, this is brilliant. I'm looking forward to SAGE so much this year, and this game has a big influence over that. Good luck!

Looks very nice, Nitemare. Good luck on the project. I love Mario's sprite. ;)

Me, I'm kinda thinking about making a Mario game too. After playing New Super Mario Bros. and looking at classic sprites, I got inspired. But don't wait up, it's nothing decided yet. Right now, I'm focusing in Sonic Galaxy. The project for a Mario game will only come after I'm done with this, or when I have any ideas for sprites or gameplay. ;)

I can't wait to play this game. Good job!