A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: Emerald Twist

P3DR0

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I will make you an advice, do not make global objects. Those water bumps and shooting machines should be local objects.

If you have global objects, you will finally decide to use them when you are out of ideas, and it will become repetitive. Instead, if you make local objects for each level, you will be forced to play with what you have, increasing the chances of finding a nice and challenging convination, and also forcing you to create new interactive objects, giving the game more variety.

Just a suggestion. Else, it looks like a stable engine, although I didn't watch it in full action.

This looks alright but I have to say I'm never a fan of making two fan games. The chances of a fan game getting finished around here are slim enough without game creators taking on two projects. Plus why not just incorporate the new ideas you have into your existing fan game. They may not always work with your other fan game however since you are just making two Sonic games it should be easy enough to transfer your ideas from one to another.

Well, I will make you an advice, do not make global objects. Those water bumps and shooting machines should be local objects.

If you have global objects, you will finally decide to use them when you are out of ideas, and it will become repetitive. Instead, if you make local objects for each level, you will be forced to play with what you have, increasing the chances of finding a nice and challenging convination, and also forcing you to create new interactive objects, giving the game more variety.

Just a suggestion. Else, it looks like a stable engine, although I didn't watch it in full action.

You're mixing programming lingo into design theory, and it hurts my eyes.

Replace "global" with "general", "local" with "level-specific", and "object with "gimmick".

You should've used the Sonic Worlds base engine I released not so long ago :3

So, now, if you don't use sonic worlds, then, it sucks? Let him use whatever he wants. Even if he wants to make a game with the built in plaftmor movement. While it is a fun game, engine doesnt matter, you are not paying for this.

So, now, if you don't use sonic worlds, then, it sucks? Let him use whatever he wants. Even if he wants to make a game with the built in plaftmor movement. While it is a fun game, engine doesnt matter, you are not paying for this.

Yeah, so does SFA xD. And no, I didn't mean him to use the whole Sonic Worlds engine, I meant just the base engine, wich works way better and uses way less resources than that ancient engine release. And I know how much you guys like the lagging...

I don't like Sonic Worlds because 99% of 2d fangames use that.
By that standard, you shouldn't have liked the engine you're using because 99% of the 2d fangames used to use it :P

Yeah, that's a pretty silly reason to dislike it, P3DRO. Think of it this way...if you finish it, you'd be the first complete Sonic Worlds fangame. :D

I wholeheartedly disagree. Dami's newer engines cut down on lag and that's why he is suggesting it. Having worked in both v0.2 and Worlds, I can say that the Worlds has a better performance. Yes, he can use whatever he wants, but don't resort to the "lol ur not payin" bit.

I clicked this and thought "oh look, it's sonic unleashed in 2D form." Then I looked in the tags, and saw Sonic Unleashed was in there. Is this game intended to emulate its gameplay in 2D form or something?

Grind rails are the worst idea ever. They were only used properly in Sonic Adventure 2, particularly city escape. You could choose to hop on a rail when going down the stairs to pick up speed, or in other areas you could jump on a rail to let it lead you to a different area - but you could almost always take an alternative route right by the rail if you chose to. Rails are only good when they intertwine with the rest of the level design really well. Long grinding segments, especially those that are right above a bottomless pit, are annoying.

Not to mention that grind rails simply don't work in 2D, because everything that I just said becomes near impossible. Only Sonic Advanced used grind rails well - and that is, only two or three times in the entire game. Grind rails should be used very, very sparingly, if at all. You'll want to gear your level's gameplay towards specific gimmicks/interactive objects, which so far in this engine you don't have.

Yeah, that's a pretty silly reason to dislike it, P3DRO. Think of it this way...if you finish it, you'd be the first complete Sonic Worlds fangame. :D

True, but there probably are not any fan games finished with the engine he's using now lol.

That was a joke but seriously I don't really care what he uses, I'm not saying there are not more advantages to Worlds cause it is a better engine but who cares, if it runs slow on my pc then I won't play it.

I didn't mean to come across as angry, sorry if I did. Just be careful when designing the level, a bunch of loops next to each other and a series of grind rails won't make a good level. Take my advice on the level-specific gimmicks, the genesis games were full of those.

• 1 month later...