A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My sonic Model

null1024

Don't be discouraged by all the jerks here who can't do much better (though some can). Most people are proud of their first models when they make them, and it's okay to be. To an extent.

You quickly want to get as far away as you can from the concept of modelling using stuck together primitives. It doesn't work. Like DW said, you want to dive down into the vertices, move them around, extrude, so it all looks like one piece, and not like a bunch of stuck together primitives.

Just remember, practice makes perfect. Push yourself.

• Like 1

Not being able to control laughter makes you a jerk?

You know, i remember i got into an arguement with someone around here while defending someone's art work that everyone was having a field day tearing apart. That person made a valid point.

Even if it's your first one, and your proud of it, it doesnt change the fact that the art is ugly.

Now, im not going to lie, that model is ugly. Its cool that your trying, but maybe he should come up with something a bit less simple than a sphere, an oval, and 5 cylinders.

If i was to draw 5 squares on a piece of white paper with lines on it, trying my hardest to make a human face and gave it squigglies for a body, im damn sure you'll laugh at it when i say i tried my best.

Not being able to control laughter makes you a jerk?

No, but you didn't need to be so blunt about it. I mean, it's not like you included anything helpful in your post.

And Kaze is now known as Aerosol, unless he switched back.

Oh yeah, about the model. Keep at it. I'd recommend starting with something easier, like Sage said.

You quickly want to get as far away as you can from the concept of modelling using stuck together primitives. It doesn't work. Like DW said, you want to dive down into the vertices, move them around, extrude, so it all looks like one piece, and not like a bunch of stuck together primitives.

I'd do that, but i'm using an old beta of Anim8or which sucks at doing that.

uhuh, bad idea. I had to fix up a model exported from Anim8or. the thing adds WAY to many extra polygons to a mesh. it took two days to fix it all, and in the end it went from 3468 polys to 459 polys. trust me, it's not a good program for modeling.

Or you could just upgrade your anim8or. It's a bloody free program afterall. Or you could get Blender or any other bloody 3D program. Hell, get 3ds max or something.

Where can I get 3ds max?

I honestly can't seem to get used to wings interface...

"that model is not good. start with like, a coffee cup."

Not necessarily. I started with a simple "person" using a tutorial. It was basically ended up being a gingerbread man, and I've yet to model a human, but I have modeled random other things since then. It's not what you model, it's how you do it. You can learn to ride any type of bike, all that matters is that you learn how to do so by shifting gears, pedaling, and learning to steer. ... That was a truly cheesy analogy, wasn't it? xD

As for the program, it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as you're comfortable with it. I made a truly cruddy model in Milkshape, before opening up a bunch of other modeling programs and being scared of the interface. It was no different when I downloaded Blender 3D, but it has some sort of game capabilities, so I decided to read tutorials and stick it out. I'm going to *try* and make the jump to Maya to take advantage of things such as cloth simulation. Just keep in mind that pro programs are going to be confusing.. and Blender is just.. confusing because it wants to be. xD

I've modeled a decent human (with 100% of it being primitives even though the hat the guy was wearing was made up of a sphere sliced in half)

Anim8or's windows 3.1-esque interface wasn't horibly set up (My first model was a very cruddy boat)