A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My sonic Model

null1024

Lol, looks like you made it with balloons. Well at least you're trying, practice makes perfect however it seems as if you are biting off more than you can chew, I recommend starting with something like http://www.wings3d.com/, where you can make effective but basic looking models quite easily.

I use the program profusely, because it's one of the most intuitive programs I have ever used. despite the UV map system being a little awkward, it's pretty amazing. sure, I use 3DS Max for finishing touches, extra UV map work, and rendering, but it's just not intuitive for modelling work that requires subdivision and extrusion.

No no no no no...

Start easy: pick the primitive that resembles most the target (say you're doing the head: use a [geo]sphere).

Then, enter polygon editing mode and cut the model in half. Bilateral symmetry ftw.

Now, preferably with a nice sample to compare, start cutting the primitive... subdivide, extrude, etc. etc. to match your target. It is much simpler if you create the parts of the model individually, then merge them all.

But most importantly, don't try to do a full-fledged model right off the bat. Take something simpler, gather practice. Follow some tutorials.

I don't see how it's not. I never had any trouble figuring out either of those concepts in Max.

When a program likes adding vertices in odd places, and when you try to get rid of them they leave holes in the face, I consider that not very intuitive.

Sef: he's using Anim8or. that program can't do much of anything like that, to be perfectly honest. it uses a text based mesh edit system for advanced features, something that is rediculously hard to work with. he'd be better off switching programs, because anim8or is not worthwhile for anything serious.