A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Shadow The Hedgehog 2 - SAGE'09 Demo!

Cstyler

Why was it cancelled? No time?

EDIT: Well, I played the demo. I have to say, this is what I think Sega should've been trying to achieve, rather than trying to bend to the whims of the younger generation it wasn't aiming for. The pace is what I would expect of a game starring shadow and not Sonic. It was slow, deliberate, and methodical.

The graphics were top notch. You cleverly snatched pieces of sprite work from games matching the style you were going for, and took advantage of the fact that Sonic Advance sprites go with nearly anything. I didn't see a single thing wrong with the graphics in this game.

Because everything else in this demo was so great, I'm gonna be a little harsher on the music. While the music sounded great, the pacing of the song didn't really fit the pacing of the level. At times, the music just felt like it was playing just because.

Finally, certain elements felt out of place, and could have been changed for the sake of distancing this from Sonic games. You could have tried replacing the goal ring at the end with a sign post. While sign posts are a staple of Sonic games, they aren't as blatant and obvious. Goal rings are enlargements of items that are already prominent in Sonic games. It'd be like replacing the flag pole with a giant coin that said goal on it and the end of a super mario level, you know? And on the subject of rings...

In Sonic games, I've always seen rings as assurance for the player that you can go as fast as you want and pay as little attention as you want, as long as you have just one. In this game, i didn't feel like I was in any danger of being punished for not paying attention, because it was impossible to not pay attention. You move too slowly! That said, it might've been a better idea to incorporate a life bar instead of retaining the coin system. I know Shadow the Hedgehog does, but you move very quickly in that game too. I don't know if it was your plan to make faster levels later on though, so you can ignore this bit.

Overall, though, I had a lot of fun with this demo, and I'm kinda sad to see you aren't continuing this project. Best of luck to your future ones.