A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ashura: Dark Reign (3D)

Xaklse

Ashura: Dark Reign is an adventure modification of Unreal Tournament 2004 based on the adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. The player will assume the role of Sonic (and friends) to save planet Mobius from his nemesis Dr. Ivo 'Eggman' Robotnik and the nefarious Ashura.

MasterEmerald.jpg NowLoading1.jpg NowLoading2.jpg NowLoading3.jpg

Download the Tech Demo HERE.

(Unreal Tournament 2004 full game is required to play)

ModDB profile // YouTube channel

========== ( 1st old post: ) ==========

Hi everyone,

Ashura: Dark Reign is a Total Conversion mod for Unreal Tournament 2004 game. In short it's a 3D Sonic game.

There is a playable tech demo available for download, for those of you who have a copy of UT2004. It offers a SinglePlayer mode, a long level with five different environments, Sonic as the playable character, badniks and a boss to smash.

A new update is currently in the works for the Tech Demo adding new locations and many bug fixes from the previous version of the map, adding more sonic physics stuff as it was pretty much lacking in the original demo map. Lead mapper Digimaks improved the terrain geometry and lighting and added new things. I fixed performance issues, hundreds of object locations, skyboxes, sea textures and the boss arena.

02.jpg 06.jpg 12.jpg 16.jpg

The lack of active members has slowed down progress of all departments except programming. See spoiler for new features.

01. Fixed problem with steep slopes; you never get stuck now.

02. Fixed character talking sound volume.

03. Added light to boss.

04. Improved levers behaviour.

05. Improved character movement; less inertia and higher jumps.

06. Added a new animation shown when using springs.

07. Coded running on water.

08. Added flicker visual effect when you get hurt.

09. Overhauled translucent skin textures.

10. Fixed footstep sounds with all surfaces.

11. Fixed camera to stand still if you fall in a bottomless pit.

12. Improved spinball physics.

13. Created two new monitors; no details for now.

14. Coded secrets system; includes Secret Bonus points.

15. Added animations to bouncer objects.

16. Overhauled welcome and end of level HUD graphics and animations.

17. Improved Fire Shield move; it can perform homing attacks.

18. Improved Homing Dash move without targets; direction can be changed.

19. Created saving system similar to Sonic 3's.

20. Created new giant rings with their visual stuff.

21. Added shadows to some custom objects.

22. Increased damage delay time to 2 seconds (for now).

23. Improved water so that it can hurt you (contaminated water).

24. Improved performance of some objects.

25. Added light to invincibility stars.

26. Coded map transitions and maplists for each character.

27. Fixed Light Dash move bug (when you get stuck).

... and many more bug fixes.

A new video has been produced, showcasing the last version of Sonic Physics which is the final stage of Sonic's basic movement and abilities. This version lets you pass through all kinds of weird stuff and/or run on water.

now.

Your feedback is welcome.

• Like 1

that's pretty cool that you use shitty grammar to insult him for no reason

not like hes lying though. This game has been in "tech demo" stage for like 5 years now. They've been adding new gimmicks and changing the game concept like seven trillion times over.

Stop being dicks, guys.

Visually appealing, and the engine looks solid. The camera bugs me though, you should include options for different kinds of cameras. I don't like how it follows Sonic's back during loops, it would get too confusing during gameplay.

Oh, didn't know a neightbour was making this game.

Saludos desde Madrid :P

Actually, i really think 3D sonic games are just a no-no, but this looks incredible good. I'd say it plays even better than adventure ones for what i've seen.

This game has been in "tech demo" stage for like 5 years now. They've been adding new gimmicks and changing the game concept like seven trillion times over.
False, you're thinking in another mod. This project is less than 3 years old and the game concept has never changed.
Oh, didn't know a neightbour was making this game.

Saludos desde Madrid :P

Saludos igualmente, es difícil encontrar españoles por aquí (y menos madrileños).
Those animations need some serious work. Like complete overhaul. Get someone who can animate that model.
We know, but nobody wants to help us; they are better than a T-stance though.
The camera bugs me though, you should include options for different kinds of cameras. I don't like how it follows Sonic's back during loops, it would get too confusing during gameplay.
This map has no static cameras, which are optional.

I want to know which types of camera would you all like to use (position, exact behaviour...), as there are many possibilities and I can't program all of them.

• 3 months later...

The bad news: there are almost no active members; the mod leader Dekrayzis who has his PC half-broken and doing what he can, mapper Itc who is involved in 3 mods, and me (Xaklse), a coder who tries to dedicate some time to this project. We need help.

The official website and forums are down, no money. So feel free to use the forums at the ModDB profile.

I got some time to take four 1024x768 screenshots with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filters and bloom effect. Check them:

ADRAncientFullRes.jpg

- NEW THINGS:

AllADRMonitors.jpg

1. Added a new monitor completing the final roster: 10-rings box, speed shoes, invincibility, standard shield, extra life, shrink, grow, lightning shield, fire shield, bubble shield, Eggman, magnetic shoes, invisibility, time freeze and random/hidden object.

2. Created a whole new camera system, allowing mappers to use any custom cam.

3. Coded old-skool side-scrolling gameplay style ala Sonic Unleashed game.

4. Added visual effect to Homing Dash special move.

5. All noticed bugs are fixed (about 40).

- TECH DEMO V2:

This upcoming version has 2 acts, featuring a 6th environment and possibly a new badnik. A small section uses the old-skool gameplay style and Special Stages will be fully working.

No release date (2008).

I played this long ago. The tech demo was cool and all but what got me was glitches. The type of glitches where if it happens you don't die, you have to restart the whole program and end p restarting the entire level. I was constantly getting stuck in corners and could not move. The engine was solid though just glitches need to be fixed.

It does look really nice... Now I haven't played the tech demo yet, but I'd hate to see this project just die...

I can't offer much assistance but I think it would be helpful to release another demo with fixed bugs sooner than later in order to 1, prove you're not dead, and 2. have something more impressive to show off (I'm basing on the previous comments)... And not just here either...

However, if you guys do prove that you have the will to continue, I can at the very least provide you whatever little help I can...

The tech demo was cool and all but what got me was glitches.
All glitches have been removed as you'll notice if you ever test the V2 of Tech Demo. General movement is different too.
I can't offer much assistance but I think it would be helpful to release another demo with fixed bugs sooner than later in order to 1, prove you're not dead, and 2. have something more impressive to show off (I'm basing on the previous comments)... And not just here either...

However, if you guys do prove that you have the will to continue, I can at the very least provide you whatever little help I can...

That's why the Tech Demo is still being reworked :)

We didn't give up after 3 years of development, and we plan to continue. The single player mode code is almost done...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new version of the Tech Demo has been released, featuring Sonic as the playable character, 2 acts with 6 different environments, multiple paths, special stages, secrets, original music, enemies and a boss to smash, all monitors, an Easter egg, and many code improvements like Sonic Physics v3, 2D classic gameplay, action cameras, level transitions... In short it's "only" a map, music and code update of the old Tech Demo.

The loading screens for each map are posted here which show you the improved beach, jungle and sky sanctuary zones.

NowLoading1.jpg NowLoading2.jpg NowLoading3.jpg

A large video has been recorded in case you can't play the mod and want to see our progress. Go to our moddb profile and watch there short or long versions:

This is my last news post as the lead coder of this mod which means that there are no coders for the project but I'll still help the team in various minor tasks. As always we need help in all areas of development: texture artists, modellers, animators, mappers, coders, sound effect creators...

Until next time... and have fun!