A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: The Fated Hour - July 2009 Update

I like how your game is going.

Just an idea: if you ever get a demo done by Christmas, it would be a nice touch if it was Christmas themed.

I think you've done an awesome job with the SAGE 2008 demo. I still like to play it. The level doesn't seem short to me. :ssmile:

Nice to read your updates. We all encourage you to keep making them. After all, they help you on your work.

When I do the next demo, it's not going to be some random detached level like it has been in the past.

So no, no christmas level.

When I do the next demo, it's not going to be some random detached level like it has been in the past.

So no, no christmas level.

It's OK. I'd like to see one as I think you did a great job visually in the Christmas demo.

So you mean you'll do only levels related to the game itself from now on? Kind of like in the first demos?

Hey Blaze, I got a question. What engine did you use and can I use it?
He uses an early version of Sonic Worlds. The newest version is right here on this forums and its freely available for download in the Sonic Worlds section of the forum as long as you give credit.

The version of Sonic Worlds I started out with was so basic that it didn't have anything in it besides just the Sonic physics. Everything from the spindash to the springs to the rail grinding, underwater physics, shields and more were all hand-written by me.

Sorry to say, there is no magic engine you can use to make a good game. Even the versions of Sonic Worlds that were linked on this page of the thread will take work to use effectively. Making a cool game requires a lot of work. :P

What about the version blaze uses, I'd like to try to use that since SonicWorlds is a half done game in itself. I'd rather make my own things.
I see where you're coming from. You want the precise movement and feel that fated hour has right? Basically, Blaze used the very first version of Sonic Worlds, before it was released with a revision number. So he calls it Sonic Worlds Alpha. Here is a stripped sonic worlds, with only the basic of the basics, movement only. http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=625&d=1200856352

This is almost exactly what blaze started out with. There would be no way to get the exact engine that blaze is on now, because essentially, it is ALL his own work, and the results you see were added after he started out with the basic engine. He would have to strip everything from the game in order for you to use it, and I doubt he will do that because he added all of those gimmicks and physics specifically for The Fated Hour only. Am I right so far blaze?

• Like 1

The version of Sonic Worlds I started out with was so basic that it didn't have anything in it besides just the Sonic physics. Everything from the spindash to the springs to the rail grinding, underwater physics, shields and more were all hand-written by me.

Sorry to say, there is no magic engine you can use to make a good game. Even the versions of Sonic Worlds that were linked on this page of the thread will take work to use effectively. Making a cool game requires a lot of work. :P

But thats what i'm trying to say, I'm willing to try to build my own engine from scratch. Blaze, do you think you could upload it if you still have it please?

I know what you mean. Reminds me of when I first started playing online games. It was Metroid Prime Hunters and Mario Kart DS. Simple enough, search for games, and it matches me up with a random party. Then I tried to matchmake on Xbox games like a year later, and I'm like.....-_0?!

Simplified menus are all around better and more appealing. Good call.

Guys it's not the fact that Wall kicking is in the game. Wall kicking was even in the SAGE demo a year ago, so acting like it's new actually makes me a little bit sad.

It's the menu! Sonic's status menu thingy is, at this point, basically done. The thing that's been holding me up since August of last year, more or less. The last big thing related to Sonic's status menu was a sub-window to display what skills the player has acquired.

That's... that's a pretty sad thing to update about.

SAKURAAAAIIIIII

Seriously though, last August?

More or less.

I mean, I haven't exactly sat around with my thumb totally up my ass or anything like that, but on the list of "really big things I still need to finish coding in TFH", I basically stopped at Sonic's equip menu and went through doing a bunch of other little polish stuff based on the feedback I got from the SAGE demo and such. Basically, everything but Sonic's equip menu. I was working around it, intentionally avoiding thinking about it.

Then, around March or so, after lengthy discussions with it with a few people, I was like "This equip system nonsense is retarded and is holding me back."

So, slowly, but surely, I've been tweaking the game away from the whole stupid gems/shoes equip system.

I played so many Sonic fangames last SAGE that I really doubt I could remember which game had/didn't have wall kicking...

As for the menu itself, maybe you could add a screenshot showing how that move looks/is used? Of course, a simple menu like this serves its purpose just fine.