A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SAGE 2008 Announcement and Discussion - "Press" Site Launched

Guest Shadix

Agreed. And how about the demos/games actually being hosted on the SAGE site? The issue with people using crappy mediafire-ish stuff and hosts in other lagnuages got really annoying.

SAGE has enough bandwidth issues every year as it is. not to mention I think the whole point of being featured in SAGE centers around something called effort. Sure its effort to make your game/demo, but what happens when that its? You expect the SAGE staff to take care of everything else for you? Promotion is the creators responsibility as well.

Not to mention anyone with half a brain can find a decent file hosting site and free webspace.

Guest Shadix

I understand your concerns, but honestly, hosting the booths is going to be hard on bandwidth.

Think about it, the average MMF game is at least 10mb, and that is if it's a small tech demo. I've gamemaker games cross the 50mb mark, and then some games are even larger because they use MP3 soundtracks. Imagine 100 people downloading a 50mb game because someone on IRC said it was a good idea one day on SAGE. That is 5GB of bandwidth for just that one game.

I know it makes some sense with required booth registration, but it's sortof pushing me into a corner with no backup plan.

Designing your booth is one of the most important steps of "selling" your game, and as such I do believe it to be your responsibility to make a booth that clearly represents what your game is about.

I'll agree... There is a reason why game publishers spend money and effort on making attractive packaging and (debatable) websites...

I may be able to provide some sort of hosting this time around, even for those with larger games (50Mb+) as I do have 2 servers available with "infinite" bandwidth and storage space isn't of any concern... I'll know if it will be a viable option once SAGE nears...

Best case: I can host everything.

Worst case: I can host a good amount of stuff... Heck, I still have my relatively inactive site on there, I could still host mostly everything anyway...

Guest Shadix

Well that works just dandy then, if you want I'll endorse your hosting service during registration, but I'm still not going to physically collect demos, only require that a booth with a working demo link be completed by August 8th.

Actually I probably should add that your booth needs to be in presentable position by the 8th too. You can embellish it between then and SAGE, I just want to make sure all the booths work on day 1. If you don't want people treading to your booth early, I would suggest putting it in some secret subdirectory on your webspace.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shadix

http://sagexpo.org/

I've started working on a press site for the attaining of guests and whatnot. It's not too terribly fancy, however I didn't find it necessary. (also got wait for this clunky FTP server sage runs on to quit being such a pain in the rear to fix the site.)

Listen. Very simple solution. Windows SkyDrive is free and gives you like 10gb or something of file hosting. Sign up an account for SAGE, have all participants send you their product for review, and if it meets your criteria, upload it to the SkyDrive public folder.

Everyone wins, no bandwidth issues, the day ends in glory!

Oh, but this definitely needs more Mr. T.

I'd like to do a Sagecast, but I'd almost rather not be the spokesman (or main person, screw it.) I wonder if it'd be possible to round up people and just give some news and reviews during the week? I'd have to do it at nights, but it could be fun. Any of that acceptable?

Yeah, it is. But you should probably try to keep it entertaining if you want anyone to watch.

I suppose I half learned that last year. Sort of one of those things you think it's easy... until Slingerland drops it on you in the middle of not knowing what the hell does what. >_> Fun times though, fun times.

Guest Shadix

Neohazard, you should consider planning out your show then. I can't stress that enough, as it will let you know where you need to go in those moments you get lost, and will help the overall content from dragging on.

Write some key points of discussion for each review down, hell, record yourself rehearsing your show so you can get an idea of what you should do. Sounds like work huh? Nothing worthwhile comes without a little sacrifice.

Contact me if you need anything.

So is anyone here a bad enough dude to take on the complete game challenge? I'm tempted, and it might give me the motivation to start working on that project again. Having said that, it's been over six years since I started it so I'm not sure I could do the whole lot in four months.

I'll be able to provide hosting for pretty much anything for the week of SAGE including games and SAGE booths if you need a good spot for them...

If you need, you can get individual ftp accounts, or just simply use an uploader I'll set up...

And if you have good reason (I really doubt it for a SAGE booth), databases, or any other features needed...

Any hosted booths and files will remain there for the month, and once the month's up (or you want it taken down), (when I get around to it), they'll be removed unless we make arrangements and such...

Don't worry about the size, or expected bandwidth... I've got more than SAGE could ever dream of sucking up... And don't worry, the server it would be going on is fast... No freecrap speeds here...

Just let me know if you guys want to take up this offer...