A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

So she wants to play this way eh?

Aerosol

Long story short, my mom is trying to fuck me over. She apparently called Time Warner Cable and switched the computer that connects to the internet to her laptop. My computer now says "limited or no connection" when the cable is plugged in. Now, I've never heard of an ISP only allowing one computer to connect to the internet at a time. Infact, when we had cablevision, we switched the cable over and over again.

I guess what I'm asking is, what can I do to connect to the internet again?

Get a router and configure it correctly. If you're far away from her computer, you'll probably want a wireless router and you'll need a wireless card in your computer.

I think Cable internet sometimes has to be set up to receive multiple computers at a time and they have to be set be to the specific outlet. So you won't be able to connect two different cable outlets to computers and probably won't be able to switch outlets without going through them (as evidence from you saying she called them to make the switch). You'll have to connect the cable modem to a router which'll connect to both computers and manage data between them and the modem. If the modem's an intenal modem, you'll probably have to bridge the internet connection, which is a bit of a pain and requires the computer to always be on.

So what's your setup exactly? Does your cable go directly into your computer or through an external modem?

You have cable internet? Do you use a router? If so, is your computer hooked up to the router? What type is it? Is it wireless?

Ive had plenty of instances where my computer says "Limited or no connectivity", and each time it was just my computer looking for the wrong internet connection, or my PC picking up someone elses net connection. You may just have to do a tad of reconfiguring. (trust me, ive done this a jillion times.)

But i dont really know the differences between Cable and DSL, so forgive me.

She probably told whomever to only allow access via her computer's MAC address. So regardless if you get a router, you'd still need to tell the ISP to switch the registered MAC address to the router's, which from the sounds of things, wouldn't happen.

Most router's, however, have MAC spoofing abilities, so you would need to configure the router to have the same address as your mom's computer has. That would work, but wouldn't your mother see a giant fucking box sitting next to the cable modem with antenna sticking out?

Well, she only switched the connecting computer because i refused to set up my computer in her room. She couldn't figure out what a question mark was for, and thus couldn't figure out the one digit password i put on her account to stop it from auto logging on. She missed a test and failed a course because of this, and is now determined that I will "never ruin her life again"

I'm pretty sure if i buy the router myself and she can still connect to the internet on her own damn laptop, she won't care about a box with big antenna sticking out of it :P. Thanks for the advice guys, though I was hoping to have a software solution instead...any clues on that?

I have cable internet, and all I did was plug my router into the modem and the computer into the router and boom, internet for both computers.

"That would work, but wouldn't your mother see a giant fucking box sitting next to the cable modem with antenna sticking out?"'

Indeed.

I'm pretty sure if i buy the router myself and she can still connect to the internet on her own damn laptop, she won't care about a box with big antenna sticking out of it :P. Thanks for the advice guys, though I was hoping to have a software solution instead...any clues on that?

No. There isn't really any kind of software solution.

I know for a fact that Comcast requires you to submit your MAC address to connect, it's ridiculous.

If you want to be real cheap, Aero, you could go out and buy a shitty WiFi card (USB, PCI, etc) and share the internet connection from the ethernet card in your mom's computer and then Ad-Hoc the WiFi card. This isn't going to get you great speeds nor distance and you will also need a wireless card in your computer, but its another solution.

Just go buy a crappy 802.11g router, they're not expensive at all.

They're around $60, i know. But Sears pays like a fucking Scrooge. No wonder it has a high turnover rate, damn. I was hoping to get a quick fix in the interim, cause I'm missing out on PSU here and there are a couple of people that will just up and stop playing if I'm gone long enough! Looks like I'll just have to wait though. Thanks for the advice guys.

This doesn't really make any sense at all. I've never heard of Comcast locking your modem to a certain MAC, even by request. I mean it's the only thing that makes sense here, but I don't get it.

Why would she do that? Lock it to just her MAC? I understand she wants the internet in her room, but why restrict you from it entirely? Is this a punishment? If so, why don't you just apologize for refusing to let her use your computer for her school work (which is much more important than your PSU time) and try to work something out.

If you guys can't afford a router right now, you need to share. Being off the computer for a while so your mom can study isn't the end of the world. Save up for a router, but in the meanwhile, you need to be apologizing and compromising.

Oh, so that's what happened to you, I figured you would post your situation here.

I'm missing out on PSU here and there are a couple of people that will just up and stop playing if I'm gone long enough!

Lol, stupid. I'm not going anywhere, I've joined a group and have much preparation for MAG. I'll see you when you get your stuff straighten out.

*Goes back into seclusion.*

Why would she do that? Lock it to just her MAC? I understand she wants the internet in her room, but why restrict you from it entirely? Is this a punishment? If so, why don't you just apologize for refusing to let her use your computer for her school work (which is much more important than your PSU time) and try to work something out.

It's not that, from what aerosol tells me, she does this shit out of spite.

Yea. It's not that I refused to let her use my computer. It's that I refused to set it up for her because she was being a bitch about it. Furthermore, she hardly uses the computer, so it wouldn't make sense for it to be in her room anyway. It's not punishment, it's her trying to get by without my help and it's her being spiteful. Don't worry, this goes deep. Apologizing lost it's use a loooong time ago, haha.

lol guys, show's over. She didn't switch the computer like i thought. The modem is just annoying.

I plugged the cable into my computer, then plugged the modem out of the outlet and plugged it back in. net works like a charm. I'm still gonna look into that router though, just to make her shut up. she wasn't taught to share as a child! thanks for the help dudes

I knew comcast wouldn't do that shit. Always reset the modem. Always. Whenever you have a problem, the first choice should always be to reset the modem. Before you call anyone or blame it on anything, you reset the modem.

Unplug it for 60 seconds, plug it back in, and wait for all the lights to light up. 2 of the lights will blink, that's normal they are network activity lights.

well, i only figured she called the ISP because she told me she was going to the day before yesterday. And Duckboy and Shadix, I understand where you're coming from, but you guys don't know the full extent of the situation. Ease up, eh?

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions guys. It's been a blast.