A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Random Doodlez Thread 2.0

Serephim

Its should never be just the sheer fact that you DRAW anime that should turn you off about it. Its what comes out of it. Every videogame that uses Cel-shading isnt going to be a Wind Waker, and every band in your school that plays the electric guitar isnt exactly going to turn out to be Hard Rock.

That said, it looks awesome. Can you tell me exactly what type of graphic pad you used to ink it?

I don't want to be associated with every other anime artist on the internet.

And before anyone tells me that I shouldn't care what others think, I'm a graphic designer, so I need to care :P

As for what I use to ink (long detailed explanation):

I just ink my stuff with my Wacom Intuos3 that I've had for the past two years. It's still in good shape, though one of the pad corners started to peel a little, so I threw some invisible tape down the side and it's still functioned the same since. Got a great discount on it, too. Digital Graphics Resources has cheap prices and student discounts. I ordered a 6x8 just because any bigger is too big, and any smaller is too small. Keep in mind the Intuos adds about 4 inches all around for the side buttons, so it's more like 12x16. The side buttons are crazy nice and once I started learning shortcuts I began to work much faster. Pen Buttons give me a boner too, just because I abuse CtrlZ/CtrlAltZ, and having a button right on the pen grip is so handy.

The program is most important, though, because everything uses different brush algorithms, so you never get the same result. I ink in Alias Sketchbook Pro 2, since it's got strong pen tracking and the tools available look nicer than Photoshop's. I port my stuff to PS to do coloring and rendering, but if I'm doing hand-painted colors, sticking with Sketchbook gives it a nice, not shitty look.

I'm gonna play with Painter X this summer and see if I can figure out how it works, since some people swear by it. Manga Studio has some pen tools that are way better than it deserves.

I learned how to ink mostly through videos of other people inking on youtube, though if you want the really good videos, check out:

http://frenden.com/category/video/ <- Uses Manga Studio. Crazy awsum work

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/penny-arcade-tv <- Penny Arcade's daily webshow where Gabe inks comics. Most old shows are saved and can be watched.

http://stephensilver.blogspot.com/ <- Steven Silver's blog (Kim Possible, Clerks). You need to dig around to find the videos, but he's got great work and sound advice.

Once you see how professionals work and their process, you can apply it to your own work. You'll probably see a nice boost in quality if you take good notes. The only problem is that these guys work slow to make their stuff really, really good. I tried using my current techniques to make a cartoon, and while it looked nice, it wasn't up to par since I had to draw, like, 600 pictures.

tl;dr: I use a 6x8 Intuos3 and Sketchbook Pro/Photoshop

Wacom Intuos3 6x8 Drawing Tablet - Free S&H

Part#: wa683

Manufacturer Part#: PTZ630

(Qty: 1 x $286.96)

Not sure if that deal is still going on.

EDIT: I experimented a little with the lineart this morning. I wasn't in the mood to start painting by hand, so I decided to open Photoshop and play around with colors for kicks. Here are all five different phases I went through, so you can see how fucked up my thought process was:

All of these are about 25% actual size

FirstColorSmall.jpg

First thing I did. idunnolol. I kinda liked this before I added the grayish-purple. I might change all the colors completely and make something triadic instead.

SecondColorSmall.jpg

Second little color I did. P3's opening uses a lot of white, gray, and red, so I tried that out.

WeirdSmall.jpg

Wut. I don't know why I did this one, but it looked way cooler up close XP

ThirdColorSmall-1.jpg

Next, I went back and modified the second picture I did. Threw different values around and added the red on the headphones as well as inked in the dots. I stretched the canvas, slapped on the logo, and made a pretty little wallpaper that looks nice will my docket and rainmeter skin. The Red/Black/Gray scheme works really well with the logo, so it's a really effective wallpaper. Plus I love that sort of olde photo look.

EDIT: I got the idea to do a mix of the previous coloring with the one at the bottom of this post for something that I thought worked well:

MixedColorSmall.jpg

I think this is probably the nicest of the color/monotones just because it has more depth than the others.

ColorSmall.jpg

I realized my Art History Final was in an hour so I rushed this one. I noticed that P3 uses a lot gradients, but they're all really subtle. Changed the backdrop so that it fit a little better.

For a rush job, I actually like how the last one came out, and I thought the others were neat too, but I'm gonna start actually hand-painting in Sketchbook tomorrow. Unlike these little experiments, I know exactly what I want the painting to look like.

Actually, the more I look at your drawing, the more I see that the chin is maybe a tad too prominent. But that's all.

And I don't play Persona so I'm allowed to not feel stupid for not catching that.

The following (when its colored in Photoshop) is going to be my entry for a contest on DA. Grand prize is teen titans DVDs 1-3.

Page.1

titansnorthpg1kw6.png

Dialogue

Robin: Don't drop your guard titans! These guys mean business!

Beast Boy: No kidding! GAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Page.2

titansnorthpg2no4.png

Page.3

titansnorthpg3xb8.png

Dialogue

Robin: We can't give up! No matter how bad things look!

Voice: Seems like you need a helping hand

Page.4

titansnorthpg4wj2.png

Dialogue

Superboy: Or 5...

and the final page was my last pictured posted. Wish me luck guys. I know it may not look like much now, but I have it all planned out. Contest deadline June. 1

Maurice.png

more practice....

The legs are off but I'm getting there. The random lines and stuff you see everywhere were me testing out a clothing design on the sketch, since the body was already there n'all.

• Like 1