A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New Site: Progress update (Done?)

Smidge204

It's "Done" - I forced it out a bit premature but it's out. Much cleanup to ensue.

Progress update on the main site.

The new site uses AJAX for the bulk data display. This decreases the total data that must be handled by the server and improves responsiveness a great deal. It is not fancy but it is pretty slick and very solid from a technical standpoint.

Filtering is done by server on SQL query, initiated by the static HTML/Javascript. The result is sent as XML data which is cached by the client. Sorting and pagination are done by the browser via Javascript so no new data is sent between client and server, except for loading uncached thumbnail images.

News entries are stored in XML files with the n (currently set to 10) most recent posts cached separately to avoid processing overhead.

In some special cases (view.php), to avoid multiple exchanges, a PHP file will serve up an HTML file directly, inserting the relevant data as Javascript variables which are then rendered by the browser. (This way all the processing is done by a .js file that can be cached by the client - less transfer and less server processing)

Individual pages:

"News" (main) page: Front end scripting is complete. News back end nonexistent but low priority since it's easy enough to update the XML files by hand.

"Games" page: Front and back end scripting complete. (I should probably make "Sonic fan games" the default...)

"Sprites" page: Front and back end scripting complete.

"Backgrounds" page: Front and back end scripting complete.

"Sounds" page: Front and back end scripting complete. (There are currently no filters applicable to the sounds, since this section is quite small.)

"Tutorials" page: Done. Needs to be done still. Should be fairly straightforward.

"Tools" page: Needs to be done still. Will rename to "Templates" and focus on that. Should be fairly straightforward. This section will effectively combine the "Engines & Templates" and "Software" sections, as well as including support files (MINIMAL - I do not want SFGHQ to become a warehouse for Clickteam extensions!) and other misc.

"Community" page: Mostly done. Combines "Contribute", "Author Index" and Forum links along with brief histories on SFGHQ/SAGE, legal disclaimer, affiliates list, staff list, and site statistics.

"Contribute" page: Complete. Static text on this page condenses the current contribution requirements and redirects visitors to the forum's submission zones.

"Recent Additions" box to the right on each page: Done. Needs to be done. Will likely use an XML system similar to the news to cache updates.

Maintenance pages: The maintainer scripts will be rewritten and put on the main site, allowing new material to be uploaded directly. This will include PHP based file uploads and a tie-in to the news back end for making semi-automatic news posts. Somewhat low priority compared to the bulk of the site.

Ancillary pages:

"view.php" - Done except voting part. Needs severe modification/rewrite. This script is responsible for displaying information about a particular file in a consistent manner, as well as providing the vote/rate function to the visitor.

"vote.php" - Needs severe modification/rewrite. I'd like to move from a 1-10 rating to a 0-5 "star" system with half-stars. This is functionally identical to the 1-10 system but just looks better IMHO. Old system is completely incompatible with the new site.

"review.php" - Removed completely. Needs severe modification/rewrite. Reviews have been disabled for two years at this point, and honestly I'm thinking it's not worth it judging by the "quality" of submissions we got when it was working. Will likely remove completely.

"view_auth.php" - Done, along with author index. Needs severe modification/rewrite. This script is the same as "view.php" except for contributors, and includes a list of submitted material under that name.

Overall progress: About 95%. (Should be done in time for Christmas.)

Fun facts:

Total image data for new site (excludes thumbnails for content): 37kb

Total static HTML data: 42kb (estimate 60-70kb when complete)

Total Javascript data: 40KB (About 900 lines)

SFGHQ will easily fit onto a 5 1/2" floppy disk!

=Smidge=

Nice to hear there's some really significant progress on it.

The concept images and implementations were looking awesome with the original buzz and I can't wait to see the website in action. It sounds like you're making it extremely efficient. I like the idea of the filters giving an xml file which is processed by the browser to explore the entries. Especially considering my ISP can be really slow to start loading new stuff. Sounds like some great work and ideas so far.

See first post for more updates.

I've decided to nix the "Software" section, since it sucks. I'm going to change "Tools" to "Templates" and be done with it.

Really the only things that need to be fixed at this point are the statistics page and the author's pages/listing. Everything else isn't important enough to keep the new site from going live.

Here's a sneak preview:

new_sfghq.png

=Smidge=

I was actually going to contact you a little while ago to see how things were going, but finals kept me occupied...I'm glad to see that things are going pretty smoothly. I'm very impressed with how you have everything so stream-lined...it's pretty incredible. Great work Smidge!