A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Little Sonic 2k6 Project Thing

How's my level design?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How's my level design?

• 10 - Spectacular
    • 9 - Really Great
    • 8 - Great
    • 7 - Pretty good
    • 6 - Alright
    • 5 - Decent
    • 4 - Could be better
    • 3 - Keep learning
    • 2 - Needs work
    • 1 - Horrible

Preface: While working on Shadow of Chaos a bit, E3 typically hit. As you recall, it was last E3 - rather, the period afterwards, sometime in June, was when I originally got the idea for my Shadow Parody fangame. Yeah, it's taken me a year even after I had a contest so it WOULDN'T take me a year. But I digress.

Anyway, same bug bit me again - but I've handled it a different way. Like that old New SMB thing nobody really seemed to care about, I've gone and done what I've been calling a "One Off". A single level, nothing more, nothing less. This time, my chosen target was Sonic 2k6. To save myself time, I borrowed Jackel's defunct Sonic S engine (which was in itself built from Damizean's wonderful Sonic physics engine) and disabled/retrofitted it with moves to resemble Sonic 2k6 stuff.

This took nearly three weeks - namely because, for two weeks, I was chasing all over the state with family get-togethers and stuff (but that's a different topic altogether). In reality, all of this took roughly one entire week to construct, if you ignore the two weeks I had a difficult time working on it. Level design took two days, tops, and the rest was all engine tweaking.

One of the reasons I primarily did this is because I wanted to build a Sonic level, and doing a TFH demo would take far too long and far too much work to crank something out this fast (plus, I've had a few people tell me they're sick of TFH demos). So, I used somebody else's engine and somebody else's graphics and I slapped this out as fast as possible, just to see what I can do. So, I'm asking you: how did I do?

I know the stage is a bit short, especially for 9mb. But Green Hill Zone act 1 and Emerald Hill Zone act 1 were short too - both could be finished in 30 seconds or less, and this level is no different. It also contains stat tracking (check extras menu) if you want to be crazy and do time attacks and whatever (my record's 25-27 seconds). I also included a copy of my Sonic article in some stupid ccoincidence that somebody outside of this community happens to play this.

Um... I guess that's it. You might need a somewhat beefy computer - 1.3ghz here, and the framerate is a bit choppy for me. (Blame Damizean, I guess?) Here's the link:

http://blazemp3.sepwich.com/VERYTEMP/sonic2k6.zip

(Uploaded to Sepwich because 9mb is on the edge of my comfort zone when it comes to filesizes on moogle space)

Screens, if you want'em:

kingdomvalley_tally3.jpgkingdomvalley1.jpg

kingdomvalley2.jpgkingdomvalley4.jpg

(By the way, if you're wondering, the time in the level changes based on when you play the game itself. It's purely cosmetic, but... whatever)

• Like 2

I really like this Blaze, even though it's just one level. The level is well designed. I like they way it looks as well. By the way, it that level excusive? If not, I might want to use that. Anyways, I'd love to see more of this, or even a boss battle.

This rules!

Can I have the title screen music and that Sonic the hedgehog logo that's on the title screen?

I wish I could see more of it...

BTW, I found a glitch: I was on a ledge and pressed the action button because there was some rings near-by. But they were lower then the ledge, and Sonic was stuck in his lightdashing animation on the floor. XP

Blaze, I think i speak for everyone hear when i say "I love you!".:D

Anyway, this is great, and i only have one complaint. When trying to get up slopes, you have to run, because spindashing doesnt have enough power. I think spindash needs more power behind it, but its your game, so your choice.

Amazing though.

Har, I wonder who voted horrible. :P

The music is from... Sonic 2k6 demo videos.

Title Screen = Extended Trailer BGM

Kingdom Valley = Sega.com Video BGM (It's not the music for Kingdom Valley, but it's all I got)

Speed Up Jingle = Sonic Adventure 2

Invincibility Jingle = Sonic Heroes

Act Clear Jingle = Sonic Adventure

Game Over = Shadow the Hedgehog (Sad Ending)

Go ahead and use the music if you want, I don't care. :P You could always just go record your own if I said no.

The level graphics aren't anything special; I dunno why you'd want them. It's largely just Angel Island Zone from Sonic Advance mixed with a few bits from Hot Crater Zone and Neo Green Hill Zone. Except for my tree and a couple other odds and ends.

It's pretty cool :D And the framerate is stable for me (heh, as it wouldn't be with an AMD64...), but I can't see the opening video (indeo codec is evil). I'll have to play a bit more later (I've got to go right now), but so far looks cool!

My results:

s2k64873.jpg

Now, a few notes:

-No slowdown of any sort. Then, I'm running on a rather good machine.

-I seem to crash into enemies often after hitting the rams... could be just me though.

-After finishing the game once, I restarted the level and appeared with a magnet shield for some reason.

-Time doesn't reset when you die and respawn <.<

-Light Dash needs some polishing.

-Widescreen is really nice for games like these.

-Time changing is a nice touch :3

Dunno what's up with the magnet shield. Probably forgot to set it to zero when you restarted the level. Time isn't supposed to reset when you die; it makes it so you can't cheat, die and then start back at the midway point and finish the level in ~15 seconds.

I tried to minimize the "Sonic Advance effect" (putting enemies in the middle of high-speed areas), but I also didn't want to make it too easy - to the point where you could just blast through the level without having to think.

Bugs in the engine aren't my problem. I didn't code'em and I don't intend to ever fix them. :E

Time isn't supposed to reset when you die; it makes it so you can't cheat, die and then start back at the midway point and finish the level in ~15 seconds.

Shouldn't the time you hit the checkpoint at get saved and be used when you restart at one? Just to clarify, I died before the checkpoint, respawned at the beginning and the timer didn't even stop =P

EDIT:

@Tapika - Got Windows Movie Maker? You can use it to export the audio out of a video.

Your level design isn't at all bad, but you should add some kind of level gimmicks. I see this was based off the nex-gen Sonic game, but that doesn't mean you can't add a few things of your own. Especially since you don't eve know everything that's in the level you're basing it off of.

Still, you did a pretty good job with it. But it's the physics that needs work. No problem with the Y physics, but Sonic's deceleration is really low. It's impossible to spindash up a long wall (literally, I tried multiple times), but Sonic can run up it with no problem. Fix the angle deceleration. Also, if you jump when you're on the side of a wall, Sonic goes straight up, instead of to the side. Physics are important, so try to get the engine to feel more comfortable.

I think the rings should scatter more when he gets hurt. They kind of all fall in the same area, and don't bounce very high at all.

I've noticed Sonic doesn't always seem to be facing the right direction, particularly when he's jumping.

Graphics and special effects are really nice overall, but the goal ring seems very 2D. It's my only complaint as far as graphics go.

Keep up the good work.

And yet another reason I need to get better in programming, ive now played this 8 times, the best time i can get right now was 44 seconds with 78 rings... got an A rank, My half completed game fails in comparision to this kind of game lol. It sadenes me but i dont want to rework my whole game to emulate anothers. I read through your article in the extras section on why new age sonic games suck and it has helped me alot in what a sonic game should be, I shall try to impliment that kind of thinking in the sequal to my current game, for now i shall just work on finishing the first heh.

Spectacular game tho, he does move a bit too fast for me at times tho... Im determined to reach the highest point in that level, i keep over shooting some tings heh.

S2K6.png

Ya I know, I suck. =(

The level design is really good, but it could use some special level things like Rael said. And I could never make it up to the rail so I can't comment on the grinding. =/

BTW, it ran a little jumpy, but okay. *shrugs* It must have been the transparencies and Or effects.