A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SSBB Discussion Thread

ila

Its IS the exact same engine. Brawl just has drastically changed the variables and far better graphics.

Pretty much... They just made it all slower, floatier (seriously, going from brawl back to meele was like who turned on the gravity?), improved the graphics greatly, used actual music (no midis anymore), and actually spent some time on the animations...

Oh, and added the ever popular crawling system and annoying tripping system (annoying when your opponent is diddy...)...

Someone tell me more about Diddy please, he seems like he could be a potentially sick character if played right, but I've seen like 0 coverage on him.

This wait can't be anymore excruciating this week. I get it tomorrow during noon, and then what my room mate calls the ultimate test of will, will be not playing it until midnight when he gets home. CAN I DO IT?

Wow.

Anyway, who is going to their local Brawl tournament?

I'm thinking about it, but if it's what I think it will be, I'll be swarmed by a bunch of little kids who will spam the crap out of certain attacks and stuff. Of course, it you're playing for $5000 and a bunch of other crap, I would/will too. >_>

I learned something AMAZING about Weegee. If he side Bs into a wall, his head gets stuck and he stays there temporarily as he attemps to yank it out (comically). This is hilarious for when the side of the stage is a solid wall and you Side B to recover.

As funny as that is, can you recover afterwards, or do you fall to your death? The later would probably be really hilarious.

Well, going down the line:

Load times are usually pretty long. You'll be sitting there staring at the screen for awhile. When this happens on stages from Melee, it's pretty absurd.

The English voice acting, as we saw, is pretty annoying. Not horrible, though Ike's taunts are now banned from my dorm. Pit too.

Stage builder is a wee bit limiting. Gamesradar attempted to copy the first stage of Donkey Kong, and almost did, though it looks off because of the angles and shit. It's disappointing when you can't copy a 20 year old game's stage layout perfectly.

The roster is nice and big, but 3 Foxes is a bit unnecessary, and there's some untapped potential. It feels incomplete sometimes. On the plus side, everyone is good, so at least you won't have to limit yourself to just 3 characters (hi Melee).

If I may nit pick, I don't care for the stage select screen. Hay let's clump a bunch of icons together in no particular order.

Lastly, it's not a huge leap for the franchise. It's a more polished, balanced game now, but it won't surprise you. It's as good as you expect, but not better than you'd expect. It's up to par, and that's about as much as you can ask for.

Thus, not perfect, and all worth going into detail at least a little bit.

Ah, gotcha.

I have a question. In multiplayer, is there the option to make one character normal and one character giant? I've always wanted to challenge myself by fighting a giant metal character or something.

Also, do you get to pick what character you get to play through all of SSE as? Or does it switch from level to level?

for the former, I don't think you can change the option. Either all giant or all small. Again, I can't read moonspeak so I just look at the icons and take a guess from there. I'm guessing that option isn't included just because the small person would probably get raped anyways.

SSE changes throughout the game. For instance, the first match you can either be Kirby or Mario, and you need to kill the other person. Then Kirby, Mario, Peach, and Zelda are playable, and the game lets you chose the order you play them for that stage, so when you die, you change to another character. Then in other stages you'll have other choices too. It all depends on the stage and what options they give.

Also, do you get to pick what character you get to play through all of SSE as? Or does it switch from level to level?

Switches from level to level, there's a huge over arching plot involving just about everyone, so the story jumps from point of view to point of view. There are some hillarious team ups though, like Pikachu/Samus and Olimar/Cap Falcon.

Switches from level to level, there's a huge over arching plot involving just about everyone, so the story jumps from point of view to point of view. There are some hillarious team ups though, like Pikachu/Samus and Olimar/Cap Falcon.

In Pikmin, Olimar wouldn't be any bigger than Captain Falcons toenail. That is why that pair-up is so funny.

I'm hoping Sonic and Mario get at least one level together. Which reminds me, all of the cheat sites I see say that you need to beat SSE to unlock Sonic. Are they wrong and you just unlock him by meeting him in SSE like nearly everyone else?

In Pikmin, Olimar wouldn't be any bigger than Captain Falcons toenail. That is why that pair-up is so funny.

I'm hoping Sonic and Mario get at least one level together. Which reminds me, all of the cheat sites I see say that you need to beat SSE to unlock Sonic. Are they wrong and you just unlock him by meeting him in SSE like nearly everyone else?

There's 3 ways to unlock every secret character it seems, one of the ways for everyone is to meet them in SSE.

I believe another one for sonic is to play classic mode with 10 characters, and I think the other one is fight 300 vs. matches.

There's also rumor floating around that you can unlock him by covering a certain amount of distance with all characters (makes sense to me)