A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

NCFC - Nintendo Community Fangame Convention

Huepow00

After having looked at NCFC in full, every single facet of this expo can be found in SAGE 07s lineup. Internet radio, chats, contests, events, even an interview with a VOICE ACTOR - Charles Martinet. (even though that fell through). We have nothing to learn from this show, as it is completely identical to ours.

We've actually been in contact with Charles Martinet for a while, so we figured why not. But yeah, that was directly inspired by having the Ryan Drummond chat. It's mostly a coincidence that they're both voice actors.

Hopefully if we have this event again we can expand and do more unique stuff. We're sticking to the blueprint for now though. It's kind of hard to branch out from beyond the things you mentioned though, since events, contests, and chats are basically the staples of internet events.

The only thing I think we're doing maybe "better" SAGE might be that we're trying to be just a bit more professional with the radio (not really visible from the site). I remember when I first tuned into a SAGEcast, you and someone else were singing a capella music when no show was scheduled. I made a comment about how it hurt my ears and somehow that was interpreted as me hating the expo and being a cockmunch (I fled :( ). For RNCFC, I made sure we had a dedicated hour or so for goofing around on the radio, but then it's back to music from there.

Also, the sorting of booths between being finished and unfinished. It kind of annoyed me how SAGE had a few "Coming soon!" booths that never changed.

Beyond that I don't think there's anything that any event like this could really learn from another. No one can grow much from the chat/radio/contest/event/cool celebrity/forum layout. Unless there's a crazy PHP/Web 2.0/AJAX/whatever layout, there's not much else that can be done. That's an idea though...

I remember when I first tuned into a SAGEcast, you and someone else were singing a capella music when no show was scheduled. I made a comment about how it hurt my ears and somehow that was interpreted as me hating the expo and being a cockmunch (I fled :( ).

Oh man, that made me laugh. Thanks.

I don't think an affiliation is needed because SFGHQ is already at its best during SAGE. We need to focus on fixing the problem with the decline in activity afterward.

The "What-on-earth-is-going-on" time I listened to was some after midnight, and I don't think there were any shows scheduled around then. It just was a little off-putting to get publicly declared a cockmunch over the radio.

And with professionalism I don't mean the quality of the shows or broadcast (we're struggling to keep the Shoutcast server up and the audio quality is just okay. Nothing to brag about there), but just the attitude and what's said on it.

It just was a little off-putting to get publicly declared a cockmunch over the radio.

Heh, don't mind Slingerland.

There were a couple of people with really great taste in music and music collections, but I personally preferred random chatcasts for getting into SAGE. Definitely much more directed to SFGHQ-familiars than guests, though. But it was all middle-of-the-night stuff, anyway, where that's pretty much everyone who was on.

Well, I'm sure that the people trying their best to entertain all of their listeners didn't like hearing that their voices were making your ears bleed. I know if I was singing and only one person complained, I would rip their head off, metaphorically. Someone fighting back during a broadcast that was all goofing off is no reason to be put off. Thats actually why I like the SAGEcasts. Its not just hours of Sonic music that I've heard too much anyway.

I can't say that your Expo is good or bad as I can't even get to the site, but I want to play this Metroid Prime 2D very badly.

A great example for us to follow? I believe the director said that he was inspired by our example:

After having looked at NCFC in full, every single facet of this expo can be found in SAGE 07s lineup. Internet radio, chats, contests, events, even an interview with a VOICE ACTOR - Charles Martinet. (even though that fell through). We have nothing to learn from this show, as it is completely identical to ours.

No, I wasn't talking about following the example EXPO wise. I was talking about actually having the demos and high quality stuff ready in time.

BTW, Metroid DimensionWarped XD:

no4.png

It just was a little off-putting to get publicly declared a cockmunch over the radio.

I said that to you? Huh? Or are you just referring to me calling everybody cockmunches? xD

I remember doing it during the a capella show though, which by the way, was an AWESOMELY BAD SAGEcast. If you think we're "unprofessional" because of one show, then you obviously didn't catch the interviews, SAGE Reports, and other "serious" shows that I put on. :P

Holy shit, I'd like this thread not to be a SAGE pissing contest. Who cares if we were first? They're totally entitled to their own event, regardless of content. It just means we set the bar and they're meeting the bar, that's all - there's no need to use words like "ripping off".

I'd like to think MFGGers are welcome at SAGE. We've had Mario games at SAGE before and there used to be, at least in my day, the concept of dropping the "Sonic" part and just opening it up officially to all fangames.

Holy shit, I'd like this thread not to be a SAGE pissing contest. Who cares if we were first? They're totally entitled to their own event, regardless of content.

I didn't want it to be either, but then Mark made a comment, but now my response is null due to what he said after the fact:

No, I wasn't talking about following the example EXPO wise. I was talking about actually having the demos and high quality stuff ready in time.

Lawlz.

Dudes, if you die in the Paper Mario fangame, it plays Chocolate Rain. No srsly it does. Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the quality of games at this show. Just when I completely forget about Nintendo fangames, this expo comes along and blows me away.

I said that to you? Huh? Or are you just referring to me calling everybody cockmunches? xD

I remember doing it during the a capella show though, which by the way, was an AWESOMELY BAD SAGEcast. If you think we're "unprofessional" because of one show, then you obviously didn't catch the interviews, SAGE Reports, and other "serious" shows that I put on. :P

I guess it was just offputting. I never listened to the rest of the SAGecasts because of that one, since I figured they'd all be the same thing.

And you did specifically call me a cockmunch. XD

So I take back what I said about the unprofessional thing if the other shows were better, since I never heard them. Even though that technically wasn't a show, but whatev.