A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

RPFG download

GSF

I had trouble with the old topic, I edited the topic, but it didn't go back to the start of the list, so I tried deleting the old post and posting again (to avoid double post) but then the attachment didn't appear! Oh well, I had to create a new topic then (sorry Slinger, Rael, and the rest!)

Instructions in the old topic "RPFG Project"

To unzip use the pass:

sfgts19746

Check the old topic for help and known issues.

Once again, sorry!

Spike: Use Ctrl+Y to change controls.

I protected the zip because I don't want the file to spread around too much. Now that I think about it, it's just useless.

Here are some basic instructions:

Change your controls with Ctrl+Y. The game refers to 8 buttons: The 4 directional keys (default W,A,S,D) and the 4 fire buttons, called A, B, C and D.

In the 'Default Controls' screen press A (the Fire 1, not the letter) to advance. Then a small cutscene appears. Use Fire 1 to advance the dialog. After that, you can move Sonic with the Dir keys. Then collide with the 'Engine Test Zone' sign to start another conversation. After that, go and step on the green panel to start the battle.

-BATTLE HELP-

There is no ATB (forget that slow-paced style of battles), but there's a gauge in the upper-left corner. On the gauge there are 3 arrows (one for each character/enemy) that go to the right. When the arrow reaches the COM point, you can choose the command for the character.

The character that you are going to give a command to is underlined in the HP-MP window. If more than one character is in the COM point, you can switch with C (fire 3). The command window has the following commands:

Attack: A standard physical attack

Ability: Use abilities that use MP

Move: Moves the character (right now it's not very useful because there are no multi-target attacks)

Item: Use an item to heal or recover MP

To move your character, choose the Move command, then use the Dir keys to move the character. When the character's arrow reaches ACT, the command ends. (You can't give commands to other allies when you are moving one).

Once you choose the command, the little arrow starts going towards ACT. The speed of the arrow here depends on the chosen command. Attack is the fastest, but Water Shot for example is slower.

After a character ends the command, the arrow goes back to the start.

Once you beat the badnik, another sequence starts and the game ends. There is a secret though. Press Aafter the credits and read the instructions.

This is only the basic stuff, I'll make a readme later.

Gave it a try. Didn't get far as I died at the first badnik battle, but this was kinda interesting. I think that the enemy shouldn't just walk to you and stay there though. Perhaps after attack he can back away to a random spot away from Sonic and Tails.

Nice tip LarkSS, I'll put it in the full game to-do list.

The monkey has only 1 attack as for now, but in the final game each enemy will have at least 3 different attacks and some defensive strategies too.

Try using Somersault and Magic Hook, since these moves are powerful and fast.

There are many missing things, like the Defend command (you can use it pressing Left when issuing commands, but it does not reduce damage yet) and the Special attack. These features will be present in future releases.

People: Should I make the arrows a bit slower? As the battles are in real time, maybe they're too fast already.

Slingerland: Blazefire stole Nexus sources? Suppose that he didn't ask you permission first like I did... By the way, don't worry about the file, it's embedded in the exe, so it's not external.

-Direct download removed-

As I said in the old topic, the file will be available temporarily, 1 day in other words. So if anyone wants to try and didn't came in time, you can PM me.

-Direct download removed-

As I said in the old topic, the file will be available temporarily, 1 day in other words. So if anyone wants to try and didn't came in time, you can PM me.

There's still about 25 minutes left before a day is over since your first post. =P

About the arrow speed, I think it should be a *little* bit slower, but it mostly felt fast to me as I didn't have time to learn the actions. Once the player learns what does what though, the speed would make the battle more interesting as you have to think and react faster, so I don't think you should slow it down too much.

I think it's retarded ridiculous that you're only making it available for a "limited time" like it's some highly demanded video game masterpiece. If you're still willing to distribute it via private messaging, why the hell wouldn't you keep the link up? It would save us the trouble of private messaging you, and it would save you the trouble of responding to them. I won't be assed to ask you for it directly. Put it up, or I'm not going to play it.

I think it's retarded ridiculous that you're only making it available for a "limited time" like it's some highly demanded video game masterpiece. If you're still willing to distribute it via private messaging, why the hell wouldn't you keep the link up? It would save us the trouble of private messaging you, and it would save you the trouble of responding to them. I won't be assed to ask you for it directly. Put it up, or I'm not going to play it.

Word.

Making it limited makes you look like an ass who is way to full of himself.

OK, here it is again. I used the little time to add some other stuff (and remove the password):

>Now the arrows are a bit slower (thanks LarkSS)

>The target selection is better, now the highlighted target blinks, and the name appears in the Information corner in all commands now

>The enemy backs off after attacking now, even though this function is not 100% completed. (Thanks LarkSS again)

>Added a readme.txt

Well, I forgot to say that I was going to put a newer version...

Anyway, it won't happen again. This file will be removed when a newer version comes out. Is that okay?

Sorry once again, Rael.

Shadowgoten:

I found a weird bug after implementing the thing that makes the monkey back off after attacking, so it must be related to that.

After a good amount of turns (more than the necessary to beat the monkey, luckily) the monkey's arrow gets stuck between COM and ACT, I tried changing some internal values with the debugger but nothing, it must be because of the monkey's position or something.

Is this the bug you got? Meanwhile, I'm trying to sort it out. I'll have it ready soon.

As for now, to avoid this bug, finish the monkey ASAP, before the bug occurs. Even though, sometimes it doesn't occur at all! Take some time to practice and memorize the commands, then reset and do the real thing.

If you found other bugs beside this one and the ones mentioned in the readme, please write about it. In the readme, it says that you can pause and unpause to 'unlock' the arrows. It doesn't work with the monkey's bug, neither with Sonic or Tails! I remember it worked before, I'll check that out again.

whao ownt by a monkey
that monkey kicked my ass.

The monkey packs quite a punch, no? In the final game it won't be as powerful. I just grabbed the first thing I found in my libs folder, and gave it 500 HP!

So, before I start with the demo, please help me with suggestions and opinions to save time.

TO DO LIST

>Correct the target arrow, make it follow the target always

>Solve the bug mentioned above and other bugs too

>Add the missing commands