A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Overload 2!

null1024

This game earns the award for the worst ____ing level design in history.

After i got to Boost Factory i just decided to turn it off after holding down right for 2 miniutes stright and falling into a retardedly placed hole.

PLEASE work on your level design. It sucks. (for lack of a more fitting word.)

No comment.

Oh, and the new engine won't be done before the end of July.

We started the engine only a little while ago.

Call me slow, but I've been working on my engine for two years and I'm just now considering it to be complete. I sure hope that the engine you're currently working on is over 1000 times better...because it needs it.

The Boost Factory act 1's level design is fairly good, but it's still empty, there are not power-ups, more enemies, traps, and some details. Please, fix this and don't make each cutscene's talking in different rooms ok?

Fairly good? Holding right for an entire level isn't good.

Yeah, all the levels are really dull. It's the same thing, you hold right... run into something that could've been done with slopes. Ok, jumped over that. Hold right, bounce around on some springs, hit a wall fall down, turn the other way, go that way a little bit, fall down, hold right more. Repeat that process until the end. It's really really boring. There's also the fact that there are no enemies, no rings, no alternative paths, nothing to make the level interesting in the least. (By no enemies and rings, I mean. There's no point in getting the rings that are there, and they're put out in unimaginative ways. The enemies are stupid, don't move, it doesn't matter if you run into them as you don't die from hitting them with 0 rings anyway)

Oh... and I don't really like how you've changed the camera. If you ever do put enemies in there... giving the user less time to see enemies and the such when running at high speeds... doesn't seem right to me.

Yeah, all the levels are really dull. It's the same thing, you hold right... run into something that could've been done with slopes. Ok, jumped over that. Hold right, bounce around on some springs, hit a wall fall down, turn the other way, go that way a little bit, fall down, hold right more. Repeat that process until the end. It's really really boring. There's also the fact that there are no enemies, no rings, no alternative paths, nothing to make the level interesting in the least. (By no enemies and rings, I mean. There's no point in getting the rings that are there, and they're put out in unimaginative ways. The enemies are stupid, don't move, it doesn't matter if you run into them as you don't die from hitting them with 0 rings anyway)

Oh... and I don't really like how you've changed the camera. If you ever do put enemies in there... giving the user less time to see enemies and the such when running at high speeds... doesn't seem right to me.

Ok, i'll fix that now.

Including slopes is a great step, but I notice in the second screenshot that Sonic is in the air. I take it, then, that the player doesn't stick to the floor too well. :P

As for music, do I hear a couple of microphone recordings in there? Shadow of a Hedgehog has several full soundtracks, including Sonic Rush. Indispensible, it is.

Well... from the looks of those slopes, you're using your boost ramps aren't you? I wouldn't advise that, since your boost ramps seem to be buggy at the best, half the time flinging you off, the other half of the time slowing you down heaps and pushing you up. While you're running really fast, it just seems really unnatural to have to slow down just to go up a slope.

I tried to make sonic run normally on a slope, but it got really glitchy.

Oh, and the slopes were origanally for Boost Factory, that's why they look like that. The sonic sprite is in the air due to me using a diffrent slope run, and Sonic's sprite is only 32x48.

Oh and about SoaH?

Trying to d-load a song that is at full quality and you want to have a half quality (as in lower bitrate) sound to keep file size small, on dialup, PAIN. (I live somewhere where there FIBER OPTIC CABLES RUNNING ARROUND MY HOUSE, AND I CAN'T USE THEM!)

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Null, here are some things I'm presenting to you.

gatheredscreenssol21ml.png

(NOTE: I needed to add the Empty Space thing. Please ignore it though.)

These multiple screenshots show that Sonic are behind numerous objects. People can get annoyed by that sometimes. A way to fix that is to put the Sonic Object last instead of first. If you do this, the obsticals will be behind Sonic instead of in front. Fix that.

sol2screen65gw.png

What the heck are you doing. Those should be alot less. Those should be rings. Null, stop with the riduculous amount of ring cases put together. Don't do that. If you want me to, I'll edit your levels a little bit.

Fix the game. We all want you to.