A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

WTF Sonic Rush 2

shadowgoten

I saw a review in EGM that gave it a 7, but only because it had elements other than 2D levels, Such as the waverider minigames and some text between levels, but extras doesn't seem like any reason at all to downvote it to me.

I'm exited. I was a little like "Shit." at first because they said it was pirate themed. Now that they have released a lot of screens, though, there is only one pirate level... So I'm good to go. I'm looking forward to the kickass Rush style bosses and music.

I suppose I'll just copy and paste this from the other topic.

---

EGM reviewed Sonic Rush Adventure and gave it a 7,7 and a 7.5.

- Snap of the review

Official Nintendo Magazine UK reviewed it and gave it 92%, 2% more then Sonic Rush.

A consummate Sonic experience, reminding us exactly why the blue blur was great in the first place - plus, it's got tons of replay value tucked inside.

GamesMaster (another UK mag) reviewed it and gave it 88%, 3% more then Sonic Rush.

A reminder why Sonic has lasted 16 years. Fast, frantic and, most importantly, fun.

Few other tad bits

- The developer for this game is, in fact, Dimps, despite many people thinking otherwise.

- Naganuma is not involved in the soundtrack for Sonic Rush Adventure, but other SEGA composers are, Teruhiko Nakagawa is listed as the Sound Director, Tomoya Ohtani, Seirou Okamoto, and Mariko Nanba (Famous for his work on the Panzer Dragoon Saga soundtrack) are all music composers.

---

I suppose EGM marked the game down for straying too much from the Sonic Rush formular with the whole adventuring aspect. Which is apparently fun but feels tacked-on.

Anyway, I've been waiting for this game for a while now so I'll be getting it as soon as its released.

If you need solid evidence that this game was developed by Dimps and not Sonic Team:

dimpsmadeit.png

Also, the final boss is pretty epic (not the super one. I havent gotten there yet). The music is also a remix of Exception's music from the original Rush. I uploaded it if you want to take a peek at what it is:

http://skylights1.googlepages.com/bigswell.mp3

Its okay so far... okay fine its actually quite nice. Only problems I have are "HEY SONIC I WANT YOU TO GET 1000 RINGS AND A BUNCHA MATERIAL WE ALREADY USED SO I CAN BUILD A RAIDO TOWAR!!!! OH YEAH YOU HAVE TO GO AND DO THE BORING SAILBOAT THING AGAIN AND WASTE TIME IN THE LEVEL AND THE BOSS AGAIN IF YOU WANT TO GET ENOUGH THANKS BYE" followed by "BLIMEY OI OI BLIMEY MATE MATE VEGIMITE" the Racoon.

I'm currently loving this game, I actually enjoy the water skiing sections and I think marine is hillarious compared to all the other cunt rags sega has devised as of late for the Sonic series. Don't get me wrong though, I still hope she never appears in a another sonic title again, but that's asking for too much.

Is the text in between levels important ever? Like does it ever tell you what you need to do? Right now that's my only possible irk... Luckily it's skippable but if it's ever particularly important then I'll need to read what I need to do. And quite honestly I don't want to because I don't care about some crappy storyline. :[

Right now I've only beaten the first 3 levels (as in act 1, 2 and the boss of the first stage) so I'm not really sure if it's that important to read the story.

But yeh it's cool so far.

Well, i just finished this game and those are my impressions.

The game is way good, kinda symilar to sonic rush but improved. Level design is well done and it does fit the "rush" theme.

The level variety is great. There are a few original levels and other ones looks really great. I think last level is just a bit repetitive (graphically talking) since the ruins theme has been already used in Sky Babylon. Levels are filled with objects, most of them prety replaceable by springs, so nothing special at all, but some of them are nice (the vertical corkscrew was an original idea of mine and i have proofs of that xD) and original. The problem is that some of them contrast with the speed, like the vines. Sonic can hang on vines but, it feels like it breaks the game flow since game is too fast to stay waiting for the wine to finish its path. Could be done better, although it is very well done.

About the scrapped things. The horrible rooms filled with robots that you have to destroy to continue has dissapeared, good point. Also, there is no more "eggman like" robots, the ones used since sonic heroes. Now, there are a big variety of enemies, from dinosaurs to skulls and ghost. Another good point.

About the added things. The main thing is the sea map. You have multiple machines to explore the sea and find multiple things. This becomes slightly repetitive, even though the map seems to be ramdomly loaded. You spent a lot of time searching for islands, and even the emeralds must be searched here. It is a good point since it adds some hours of game but, it feels like the game is more an aquatic games game than a platform game.

The level design is way better than spected from a rush series, but all the bad things are concentrated on secret levels. There are 16 secret levels, small levels usually not multipathed not larger than one or two minutes. Those levels are evil and the design is quite horrible, filled with pits and enemies wrong placed. You need to finish some to find the sol emeralds, so it becomes frustrating. Hopefully the normal levels are well designed with some epic parts, not as epic as in the genesis games, but kinda nice.

In the first sonic rush, bosses were repetitive, some were only a pallete swap with a new added movement. Here everything changes. First boss has a movement very like the first boss in the first game, but after that, everything is original. Even last boss, looking kinda symilar to the last boss of the first game, is very epic. I did enjoy even after loosing 3 tries of 4 minutes each one.

About story, Marine is a character so much cooler than cream is. Good job making this "hated since the beginning" character. She, at least have a personality. You cannot play as her (at least for now), she is only story related, so, i think she gains points. The other characters are weird. Whiskers' personality is like the eggman one, no originality. Even though on the first part you keep interested on the story, everything finishes in a bad way. Last story just crashes all the game. Although, the last level background is way original, the fight is as bad as the story is.

Those things could scare you, but that is not true. I could say this game is way better than sonic rush: better levels, better bosses and a better gameplay. Maybe i was surprised about this because i didn't spect so much about this game. But after all, i did enjoy it. The game is cool and it goes in a good direction. This is how good the current sonic formula can go. The best of the worst xD. And it'd be a good direction if the game didn't crash because of the insane speed and the lack of a fluid movement. Sega did a great job with this game, a step foward, but they already need to finish the current sonic concept.

If you are specting a sonic the hedgehog 4 game, this is not your game. But it is still enjoyable, pretty much than other 2D games. If you liked the sonic rush game, this is a worth buy. Else, if you stick to the old school games, it is better to not to buy.

Is the text in between levels important ever? Like does it ever tell you what you need to do? Right now that's my only possible irk... Luckily it's skippable but if it's ever particularly important then I'll need to read what I need to do. And quite honestly I don't want to because I don't care about some crappy storyline. :[

Right now I've only beaten the first 3 levels (as in act 1, 2 and the boss of the first stage) so I'm not really sure if it's that important to read the story.

But yeh it's cool so far.

Story is skippable. The story just says where to go or what do you need to continue, not story as you can see.

The girl saying stuff in the boss music sounds like she's saying cockblock lol. Anyways, I'm having so much fun with this game. The levels are original and have many gimmicks.

As much as everyone else is complaining I'm actually enjoying going back and clearing levels again to get more materials. Once you get the hang of tricking off of everything and completing that trick with A before landing you can pretty much truck through levels so fast it's pretty awesome. So far this game gives off a veeeeerrry donkey kong countryish feel, with the collection, world hub, and vehicles.

lol :(

I never have understood how to time-attack that level correctly with Sonic, even after watching the videos that stanski made. Recently however I find myself getting really good at Sonic & Knuckles. 0:38 Lava Reef 2 Knuckles. 8) Still have tons left to do for the game though in terms of TSC.

Also, TSC should come back up early this week. It's down because of something to do with images if I recall; Cult-net's administrator doesn't like something about them. As a result, I am in the boat that thinks TSC should just get its own dedicated server :(

Also, more videos~

Plant Kingdom 2 Sonic:

Hidden Island 1 Blaze: