A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

WTF Sonic Rush 2

shadowgoten

Sonic Advance 2 was my favorite.

Sonic Advance was decent, but it felt really generic and uninspired; a collection of Genesis Sonic stereotypes wrapped around average level design. It never really felt like it's own game, to me; it felt like a cheap imitation of the classic Sonic games.

Sonic Advance 2 really struck out on it's own path with it's own style. Sure, it was rough around the edges in a lot of spots - but the effort was appreciated and it was fun enough to forgive those rough spots.

Sonic Advance 3 felt like it tried to blend Sonic Advance and Sonic Advance 2 while trying to simultaneously incorporate the teamwork theme carried over from Sonic Heroes. The whole game felt like a rushed disaster, with ugly level design, poor visual design (stop and look around, sometimes - you wouldn't believe how many misaligned tiles there are, especially in Sunset Hill)... it was just a mess.

I could not be happier that Sonic Rush (and subsiquently, Rush Adventure) feel like they were broken from the Sonic Advance 2 mold.

I agree with you there. Sadv. 2 was it's own thing. The new style of gameplay kept me occupied for a long time even though sometimes it was difficult to figure out where you were going to grab those SS rings. I swear, those SS's annoyed the hell out of me, but they were oh so rewarding. They did a good job with unlockables and created difficult to reach incentives, I just wish games since then would've taken the same approach.

Sonic Rush for me was awesome because it felt like Sonic Adv. 2 cept with the formula tweaked enough to not only feel more similar to the classic games but actually gave you a need for speed with its trick\boost system. (also for you people bitching about the games being hold right, jump, win, tricks and boost also added some extra variety to the gameplay.)

My only issue with SR though was I had no incentive to keep playing after I beat the game :\. I don't think I even replayed that one through.

The only incentive to play any Sonic game, IMO, is the nostalgia. So pick it back up after about a couple of years...

BTW, I don't know which Sonic Advance game I quite like the most, although I can say that 3 is at the bottom of my list. (I do <3 the music in that game, though) Advance was too slow, and Advance 2 was just too fast.

Really, they should have just transplanted the Advance graphics onto remakes of the original games and called it a day.