A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Your opinion (Anime)

Ligar

Okay. It seemed my Sh** bomb of an anime flopped over like a dead fish.

But thats not gonna stop me, since I plan on making career out of this.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere, even if the bottom of the barrel is pure suck.

So to help this go along, I'd like to get others opinion on what type of anime people like. There might not be alot of anime fans here but I'll at least try.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dramatic ones bore the hell out of me, unless the dramatic anime in question isn't like DBZ or Naruto where they talk out of their ass nonstop for 4 hours.

I prefer funnier/more random series that don't take themselves seriously ( which are mostly considered taboo in the avid anime watcher world ), like FLCL or other series like that

"anime"

Er...first, I'd reccommend making a manga instead. It's a lot easier, and with webcomics being somewhat popular, it'd be easy to pass it around. Sure, it's not anime, but you have all of college to learn animation professionally. At least starting a webmanga would get your feet wet with storyboard experience.

Also, I'd reccommend watching all sorts of anime, manga, vidyagamez, etc. to broaden your horizons. Try something more contemportary or dark, then bounce to something more light hearted. Hell, read some books if you can muster up the manpower.

Don't stick with shonens or stories about FIGHTAN, try dramas, comedies, etc. Sticking to the mainstream Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc. just rots your brain.

Ultimately, what you do, though, should be something you'd enjoy doing, and as an artist, you're obliged not to give a rats ass if people don't like it so long as you express yourself.

Well, I'm neutral about anime. I used to be a huge anime fanatic around 2004, where Adult Swim showed anime like Inuyasha and Wolf's Rain. I used to love those shows, especially Inuyasha; I used to sneak into my family room and tune into the show every night lol. In fact, my old style was HEAVILY influenced by anime, and it stuck until around 2005. I just lost interest in Inuyasha and other anime, and eventually my style consequently departed from all anime. I still watch some anime that comes on AS from time to time, but not as obsessively as before.

Alright, here is an example.

Goku uses a Spirit Bomb. Krillin asks What it is and then Piccolo explains it to him for like 3 minutes. Now we go to Vageta. He is the target of the massive ball of energy and explains to us just how big and energy-full it is. This takes 2 minutes. Goku then has a flashback to when he was taught it. He takes about 5 minutes doing this.

After he uses it, he explains it to everyone that was watching. Episode ever.

I like good anime.

(I also like some bland animes, but those don't tend to be genre-related so much as frivolous interest)

Edit: I could tell you some stereotypical anime aspects I don't like (not saying I don't like animes that might be mentioned here for other reasons):

-Pace that seems stretched out, probably involving taking the plot of an 20-page manga and stretching it over a 22 minute anime. Most notably, the like half a season of DBZ that took place in the space of "5 minutes as the planet's exploding!"

-"We're twenty-thousand times more powerful than we were last episode despite this entire galaxy/world/afterlife of people who have been training their entire lifes seemingly waiting to advance alongside with us as the situation calls" mentality.

just the top two that come off the top of my head

I love anime, possibly a bit too much, so here's my advice:

Like PG said, manga would be a better place to start, but meh, it's your choice.

Personally, I prefer Sci-fi over fantasy, but you can't please everyone at once, so I'd reccomend making it the setting that you want to start with.

Remember it's a hobby, not a chore. If you start one anime/manga and you dont like it, stop! Start again or do a different story. But, don't completely give up if you

In my experience, good anime have a perfect balance of action, characters and good ol' "Uuuhh...what?" factor. Take Neon Genesis Evangelion for example. You got the bigz Robawt pwning noobs, then you have Shinji's troubles with the other pilots and his father, then you have wierd stuff happening.(Like the Eva activating itself, or the whole Rei character, for example).

Remember, whatever you do, keep making stuff happen! What put me off Naruto was that it seemed that whenever there was a fight, they just sorta stood there and gave eachother dirty looks and chatted for like, 2 episodes, and It just stood completely still for ages without anything significant happening! On the same note, make the setting interesting aswell! In Tengo Tenje; They went to a bowling alley, and even though there were cool fights and all, they were there for like, 5 or 6 episodes and it just got boring! I wanted to see somewhere else!

All in all, I would say keep it balanced between action and socials, make it unpredictable, so the people want to read the next episode, and finally, make it UNIQUE. Nobody want's another DBZ copy, nobody want's another Naruto copy.

And that's me done. Good luck, and I look forward to watching/reading it!

Watched the first video, which contained a 10 minute sequence involving a transformation and a hammer.

If attacking takes that long, the series must go on for thousands of episodes!

Er...first, I'd reccommend making a manga instead. It's a lot easier, and with webcomics being somewhat popular, it'd be easy to pass it around. Sure, it's not anime, but you have all of college to learn animation professionally. At least starting a webmanga would get your feet wet with storyboard experience.

Spelling issues aside, this is the best advice in this thread so far. Not only is the media more accessible, but it gives you a way to establish artistic style, storyline and character design. Much like storyboarding but more 'finished.'

Beyond that: Make sure you establish a defined genre for your work. I'm not suggesting you conform to existing "Recipes" that most anime uses, but it should be consistent throughout. For example, don't start it as something that's all slapstick comedy and bad puns and end up all dark and depressing at the end. Are you going to "keep it real" or go with total fantasy kung-fu/magic and shit?

Whatever it is, just be consistent. That makes it far more enjoyable.

Also, don't do any of that introspective pretentious bullshit either. You are not Masamune Shirou. (Just sayin')

=Smidge=

Dramatic ones bore the hell out of me, unless the dramatic anime in question isn't like DBZ or Naruto where they talk out of their ass nonstop for 4 hours.

I prefer funnier/more random series that don't take themselves seriously ( which are mostly considered taboo in the avid anime watcher world ), like FLCL or other series like that

What he said, except without the "we dont take anything seriously" factor.

My idea of an animated show (this aint japan) would be something inbetween funny and serious without being too extreme on either side. Mixing it up seriously makes it better.

Oh, and if i ever post any of my comics you will see that i usually avoid more than 5/6th of all the exaggerated anime facial expressions, because their use can change the feel of a show completely. Most of my favroite anime dont use them anyway. (Trigun is the only exception, but they dont use the newer mainstream ones anyway. Trigun's are actully funny.)

FLCL was too retarded for me to ever watch. On the other hand, there are anime that are just too serious or realistic to watch, in which case i would much rather be watching a regular TV show.

And not to mention i cant STAND cliched storylines. They murder me more than anything, and most popular anime are extremely cliche these days. I much rather the older anime styles and simplistic yet engulfing storylines than the retarded shit they do today.

Spelling issues aside,

Gimmie a break, the desktop doesn't have Firefox spellcheck, and it was getting late -,-

Beyond that: Make sure you establish a defined genre for your work. I'm not suggesting you conform to existing "Recipes" that most anime uses, but it should be consistent throughout. For example, don't start it as something that's all slapstick comedy and bad puns and end up all dark and depressing at the end. Are you going to "keep it real" or go with total fantasy kung-fu/magic and shit?

Whatever it is, just be consistent. That makes it far more enjoyable.

Also, don't do any of that introspective pretentious bullshit either. You are not Masamune Shirou. (Just sayin')

=Smidge=

Seconded on both accounts; Too many comics, shows, anime, etc. deviate from what they originally started as and what made them so unique. Rurouni Kenshin is an example of something that had a balance of lighthearted plot with some cool fights, to "BLOOD DEPRESSING STORIES ANGST!" and got so stuck in that rut that when it finally bounced back, it was just too out of place.

As for the last point, I don't think anyoneone here can write a story all about "why am I here? what's my mission in life? I'm so confused ;____;" without sounding like a moron.

Remember that comics, anime, television, etc. are all forms of entertainment. You're trying to entertain the reader, and that's you're number one goal.

No way, FLCL was the shit. An excellent example of how humor, styling, manic levels of action, an excellent storyline and a healthy dose of self-awareness can create a masterpiece.

Although if wacky antics and face-faults aren't your thing, there's plenty of more serious stuff that's entertaining. Try

for example. (Sorry, crappy AMV is the best I could find clip-wise)

=Smidge=

I'm a sucker for most of shonen manga (I barely watch the anime adaptations): Deathnote, dragonball, blackcat, naruto, bleach, buso renkin, shaman king. I always enjoy the fights, and the powerups they give each character. Though mainly they never die..which many people don't like.

I also enjoy stuff with a lot more emphasis on storylines, if any of you have caught code Geass, I am definitely enjoying that in terms of story and action.

Guess i should state that i never really watched FLCL. And although DBZ gets really speechy near the end of the series, it was like the best anime i've ever watched in my life. That show was awesome.

I mean, the episode where Gohan finally blazes cell was like the most epic moment in Anime history. The filters and art during the final blow was just awesome.

Guess i should state that i never really watched FLCL. And although DBZ gets really speechy near the end of the series, it was like the best anime i've ever watched in my life. That show was awesome.

I mean, the episode where Gohan finally blazes cell was like the most epic moment in Anime history. The filters and art during the final blow was just awesome.

The beam struggle was like 15 minutes though lol. But the end result definately was epic. I Lmao the moment Cell started turning to dust. That was halarious.