A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Hedgehog GEDA

OVERVIEW

My previous fan games didn't go as well, i.e- Sonic Attack (now scrapped) and Sonic RG (Sonic RG is still planned to be finished in the near future). I just plan to go back in time for now, and present Sonic GEDA, a new fan game based on Sonic 1 for genesis, but with totally new levels and faster gameplay. As you all know, Dr. Robotnik is at it again, turning all the animals of Mobius into robots, and it's up to Sonic to rescue them. Metal Sonic had been commanded to collect the six (yes, six) chaos gems (emeralds). So this game has sort of a Sonic 1 / CD twist to it. Can Sonic rescue the animals and collect the six emeralds before Metal Sonic does?

Features

Realistic Sonic 1 style gameplay using a modified version of Chaos Rush's Sonic Revival Engine. Also a menu system and .ogg music.

Controls

Arrows - move

Space - jump

Up - look up

Down - crouch

Down + Space - spindash (Sonic CD style)

Down + move - roll

Zone List (some titles are working-titles)

ZONE 1: Shimmering Valley Zone

ZONE 2: Oil Refinery Zone

ZONE 3: Angel Temple Zone

ZONE 4: Icy Cavern Zone

ZONE 5: Mount Mobius Zone

ZONE 6: Neon Speedway Zone

ZONE 7: Electronic Observertory Zone

POSSIBLY TO BE ADDED LATER

SAVING & LOADING SYSTEM

SCREENSHOTS

COMING SOON

DOWNLOADS

DEMO v01: (No Longer Available)

DEMO v02: here

DEMO v03: ---------

SONIC GEDA DEMO v03 SCHEDULED RELEASE: FEB 2008

sonicexpert2dk7.gif

I'm not even too pleased with the engine that much. So I might just redo it using one of Damizean's 360 degree engines out of the pack of engines released not to long ago for GM 6 / 7. I've also realized that it takes much pressure doing a decent game by yourself, so have decided to open up for a few members to help with the project. I can do all the minor things for the engine, like Zone names, deciding which setup the game will be like, gathering Fonts, and a little of the coding and such, but other than that, here's what I would be looking for:

Logo Makers: To create the logos for the game, like the Title Screen logo, level title card, and end of level logos.

Spriters: to create or rip sprites from the games to use.

ADV GM7 coders: to help code many important aspects of the game from tweaks with the 360 engine, like extra moves, ringloss, corkscrews, to additional features like checkpoints, title menues,

AI enemies, bosses, gimmiks, etc.

Level Designer: To help design the levels for the game.

Backgound / Tile Ripper and Creator: To create backgrounds and tiles either from scratch, or reused from the commercial games.(must have paint program, or a scanner).

Music Person: To gather the music for the game, and be able to combine with the game. (i.e.- .ogg music).

And that's basically a team right there. Of course all who participate will recieve full credit for what they've done. So if you see a spot that you'd like, please PM me or email me at [email protected] explaining which position you'd like to fill. And please read the game's story so you can get an idea of what kind of Sonic game it would be like.

Basically: Dr. Robotnik is at it again, turning all the animals of Mobius into robots, and hoping to use the emeralds to build the ultimate Fortress in the center of Mobius, and rule all, and it's up to Sonic to stop him. Also, Metal Sonic makes a return to help collect the six (yes, six) chaos gems (emeralds) for Robotnik. So this game has sort of a Sonic 1 / CD twist to it. Can Sonic rescue the animals and collect the six emeralds before Metal Sonic & Robotnik do?

So please, it would be great to get a small little team here to help create this game. I feel that most people want to take it back, back to the 90's where Sonic was first created; and experience what true Sonic games should have been like back then. Thank You, and I know this game will be great.

Sincerely,

Power Hedgehog

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but it'll be hard recruiting a team. Most of us are busy with our own projects. The best way to request help is to win people's hearts over to the project by releasing an impressive demo and making people want to help with it over helping with anything else. I've been here for a few years; I know how it works.

My advice is to do as much as you can by yourself and make a good demo, while keeping the request for help out. People may help if they like your project enough. Good luck.

well, got new screens of Zone 7:

screenshot100gp1.th.png screenshot200iz8.th.png screenshot300yu3.th.png

By the way, tweaked Sonic's movement just a bit. Also, decided to use text from Sonic 1 for the title cards and Bonus cards. I'll have a demo up real soon, because I don't want to show too much unfinished work. The demo will contain all of Zone 7 + boss (2 Acts and Boss).

UPDATES:

• Changed All game text to those of Sonic 1
  • Made Sonic's movement more realistic (lower acceleration)
  • Added working Bumpers like in Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3 (see pic #3)
  • Made Sonic's Tube rolling faster
  • Changed Sonic's spring animation to that of Sonic CD

• 2 months later...

Digging up my own grave....probably not a good idea, but if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to discuss the new Sonic Geda engine! I would have updated last week, but I had no type of internet service here. I'm back now with a complete update.

This new engine is being created using Chaos Rush's Sonic Revival engine, so much credit for that. Well, I've used Revival's engine and modified it to work nearly like the previous Geda engine, but with much better movement. The newest demo will be released as soon as I can figure out some different floor tiles for the 1st level: Shimmering Valley. The background was taken from one of my previously scrapped game called Sonic Attack.

Here's a background pic of what the 1st level would look like:

pic1ll2.th.png

So, I'm thinking that I could use the emerald hill tiles for the floors

and such. Well, once I come to a decision about that, the game level progress can begin. I am hoping to keep steady work on this project with few delays, but I can't make any promises.

So, If anyone wants to comment on the background above, feel free to do so.

ALSO, I'll be uploading the new engine's screen shots at some point.

Bad - I liked yours better than his. =/

But although I'm using his engine, no one would probably notice it because I changed the sprites and tweaked the engine movements and coding. I also added a lot of new features.

The reason why I'm using it is because Chaos Rush presented it in a way where you could understand it greatly, and so far, it's been real helpful to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a few weeks of hard work, I've finally done it. I now present a fully working zone using the new engine of Sonic Geda. The file says Demo version 01, but this is really demo 02. This game contains a fully playable zone: Cosmic Speedway Zone. I wasn't really to concerned about the level designs, as I was just trying to get a demo in to see what the game's capable. Don't forget that this is still a demo, as I will be adding a heck load of new things and such.

The direct link to the game is: http://www.savefile.com/files/1216989

SONIC'S NEW ACTIONS: Includes better spindash, look up camera movement, and super-peel-out. Enjoy!

Also, check my first post for the demo too!

• Like 1

I'm surprised at how good this demo is. I completed the zone, and I'm going to play it again and type up my comments.

The physics are fine except for the jumping. It takes too long for Sonic to reach his apex. He descends at a good rate though. What engine is this game built off of? How much did you do yourself? I've had no problems besides the jumping.

Your enemies are very simple. Make some new ones that actually do something besides move around. You could have some attached to the ceiling that shoot things at Sonic when he walks under them, for instance.

I take back what I said about the engine having no problems. Your collisions need work.

sg1.png

I spindashed here, and I went through it and it forced me to the right a little bit. Or you could just mess with layers and allow Sonic to pass through it if he's below.

Is this the first zone? I'm guessing it is. If so, props to you for not following the "first level has to be bright and green" rule. The difficulty is very easy, but even so there are too few gimmicks (if you don't know what I mean, think of angel island's swinging vines, marble garden's spinning tops, etc). The starlight fire shooters and the "pipes" that force Sonic to roll are the gimmicks you included. You did a good job putting the level together even without a wide variety of gimmicks, but these kind of levels especially have so much potential if they have more. Even if you don't choose to alter this level, keep that in mind for designing future levels and they'll turn out better. I love the seperate paths, by the way.

There's way too much empty time at the end of levels. It should end right after the score is calculated. You also neen to stop the screen from scrolling once you do hit the sign. This time playing act 1, I hit the sign and the score isn't calculating and the level isn't changing. I have no idea why, you should look into it. I'll restart the game now.

Other complaints:

There's no time over at 9:59:99. It just keeps going. It looks weird on the timer, so either have it freeze at 9:59:99 or find some way to fix the way it looks when it passes that. Or you could just have it kill Sonic of course.

I think the monitors should be solid. It just bothers me when I can walk right through them.

When Sonic jumps on an item box, he should rebound off it.

Sometimes when I hit a diagonal red spring, the sample plays multiple times. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying.

I want you to finish this game. I was very impressed with the demo. It has a retro charm that few other fangames do. Rep up, keep up the good work.