A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Sonic Knockout: It's time for Beta 3.3!

Vexus

ssklogotcls7.png

CLICK FOR THE OFFICIAL SUPER SONIC KNOCKOUT WEBPAGE

newbetapromobj4.png

FULL GAME FEATURES:

> 27 fighters, with their own skills and fighting styles.

> New moves for fighters, and better use of the old ones too.

> Over 30 stages, with varying sizes, gimmicks, and hazards.

> Solid frame rates on older computers.

> The story will be continuous, but will take place after SONIC the hedgehog.

> Easy customizable controls that don't hinder your butt-kicking progress.

> Two-on-Two tag team matches.

> Buy unlocked stuff at the Future City store! What do you think is inside?

> 3 slot save feature

> Over 100 unlockables

I'm almost annoyed with myself for not registering and making a project here sooner XD

Super Sonic Knockout (SSK) is a fan project being lead by me and is one of the fangames being produced by SCDTi (Project Headway being the lead project...). SSK is a free-roaming fighting game, so it is usually thought of something on the lines of Super Smash Bros. The game is a sequal to my previously completed project "Sonic Knockout" and SSK so far has already gone major leaps ahead of the prequel. This is one of the new big names in fangaming, a fact that I'm very proud of :)

Reviews and all constructive critism is all welcome and will be addressed.

It looks pretty cool, and I don't wanna be cheeky but I've never heard of it, where is it a big name?

It does look pretty cool though, the only thing that seems odd is that your 2 player screens seem to be split vertically, this seems odd for a game where most of your movement is horizontal.

It's a big name down at the Sonic Cage Dome, plus Slingerland said himself this is one of the better titles for SAGE so I must be getting somewhere XD.

There wouldn't be that many people who would know too much about it if they never go to SCD, which is understandable.

I came here to get some more critique, since SSMB don't talk much at all in there their fan creation forum.

Anyway, progress on the game and several other bits for SAGE are well on their way. I registered for SAGE last night.

That issue will be resolved. Hints will display twice as long and the cutscene scripts can now be forwarded by pressing any key except Enter (which skips the cutscene.)

Progress is being made, but more so on character art at the moment.

I finally got a chance to play this, and I have to say, I'm very impressed.

The Enemy A.I. is well done, shows that it's not the usual path movement that I usually see in Sonic Fighting games. The graphics are hawt as well.

Looking forward to seeing this game being completed.

I did that to avoid accidental game exits, but the issue has already been taken care of. You will have to press F4 to exit Fullscreen mode then click the Close button, or you have to select "quit" in the game's main menu.

Anyway, things are going a little slower than usual. An unexpected injury and other things have put SSK back a couple of days. Nothing to worry about though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still working on the game by the way. It's just that my holiday had delayed production by 8 days. I'm going to be finishing up the main menu stuff soon, plus (with the exclusion of chaos attacks) I've completed some more characters.

There were a couple of new things on the new website that opened during SAGE... Mainly a couple more screenshots, a new video, more character art and profiles too... however another demo is a long time coming because I want it to surpass Demo 2 in as many areas as I can.

• 5 months later...

These past few weeks have been very hard on me. I've hardly spoke to anyone about SSK lately, and this is why. Suddenly and without warning I want to blast the latest playable demo of Super Sonic Knockout in your faces.

It's been a long time coming, but it's finally here. Here is what to expect from this demo:

• 8 fully playable characters, including 3 new additions
  • 6 fully playable arenas, re-introducing the new version of Route-99
  • The first 3 levels of Sonic's story, complete with a modified (shorter) script, a modified level 2, and more!
  • Last-day addition - Replay Mode! Play Sonic's first 3 levels with harder difficulty and varied missions
  • The Save System and Emblem Gallery
  • The completed Chaos attack and Boost system
  • 13 Item Boxes

The list can go on. But you can read the instruction manual that comes with the game to get all the new features. On the NEW IMPROVED website, you can find screenshots, movies, older demos, and all sorts. The image at the top will take you to the downloads page, and you should read what I have to say before downloading the beta.

Oh, and my actual site The ShadowBlaze Portal has also been given another rebirth, and some interesting additions actually worth checking out...

So... surprise XD.

• Like 1

I died in the second level and got this error:

ERROR in

action number 1

of Begin Step Event

for object parent_player1:

Error in code at line 6:

near = camera.near

at position 16: Unknown variable near

So I couldn't get any farther than that. I only have a few complaints.

1. Why are the keys backwards? I see no reason to use WASD unless you are going to need the mouse for something. Why not use the arrow keys and ASD or something?

2. It is as hard as hell to even get a hit to land. For one, Sonic's spin attack spins all the way around, but it only hits exactly a few pixels in front of him, like the other attacks. I always get beat up just because the attacks have to hit dead on perfect. No other fighting game I have ever seen was this picky.

3. The character art is really wonky. All of the characters are insanely tall and stretched, even the Sonic Riders models weren't this off.

Other than these three things, this is easily one of the best Sonic fangames ever made. The presentation is amazing, it's almost as if I were playing a real Sonic game. I love the little things, such as the hint bubbles and how you brought back Gemeral (I guess Sega just forgot about him?). I'm definately going to watch this from now on. Rep up.

Thanks for that Spike. I would have thought as much that a glitch would come up in that stage. I've never lost that stage so I really should have tested that XD.

The reason the keys are 'backwards' is because of the player 2 controls taking up the arrow keys. It's been REALLY hard to find a default control scheme that works and NO-ONE has suggested of anything better! If you could help me with that, than it would be really appreciated.

Sorry about the hitting collision being picky at times, The collision masks might need to be revised later. That and I forgot to set the character mask back to normal after doing some testing weeks back.

The character art looks that stretched? Oh well, I really don't want to remake all that artwork again, so I'll just take that advice for the remaining artworks I've got to do XD.

I'm glad you like the whole presentation, it's been alot of work worthwhile.

Besides the A.I complaints I had the last time I tested this for you (just back them into a wall, Spike - they'll never recover), there are a couple of other things I'd like to point out about the new additions:

Twinkle Snow looks pretty cool, but the level kept giving me errors whenever it tried to spawn the item boxes.

<3 E-123 Omega. The spritework is incredibly accurate, making it feel like an actual character from Sonic Battle. It's just as awesome as your spritework of Gemerl, and I applaud you.

Keep up the good work, buddy! =D