A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic RPG coming to NDS (SEGA + Bioware)

SefirothDB

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware, huh... guess that means the main reason I'll be waiting before buying is the fact that this is the same franchise that gave us Big, Cream... ugh... any given character debuting in Sonic Adventure and after... and Amy. Hopefully they'll be smart and focus as much as possible on the old-school chars as possible - say, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and possibly some of the Chaotix. (Hmm... Chaotix RPG.... >.>``)

In any case, I'll agree that the style of gameplay will have a huge impact on the success of this title. A BG/ID/Torment/NWN-ish style will kill it. I could settle for a KH-ish style, but that series felt more like an action-adventure than an RPG (not that it's a bad thing, but saying 'RPG' and not feeling like yer playing one is a little disappointing).

I'm just going to sit back and wait a month or two before picking it up. I'm sure it'll be good, Bioware hasn't let me down yet, but there's this little voice saying that I'll still be playing with the NWN toolset more often than playing it.

"I want them to prove me wrong though."

Why? So that you can catch a glimpse of hope, and then have the next "canon" Sonic game can still suck ass? Strikes me as pointless. I hope it fails- I think they need every Sonic-related game that comes out to just completely fail in every aspect (poor sales, poor reception, poor ratings). I think people not giving their products the light of day would do them some good and pressure them to actually put out something halfway decent for once. Yes, "them" the so-called Sonic Team, not whoever they hire to make them a spinoff. Spinoffs are supposed to suck, not the main series. That's how they get spinoffs in the first place. And right now, Sonic doesn't deserve any. I think I'm alone in this line of thinking though, and it saddens me.

Even if this game does suck, it won't matter. Every Sonic game released for a few years now has had a negative score majority on its reviews-- it doesn't hinder the sales of the games though, because the older generation of gamers aren't the ones contributing to them the most anymore. I would wager that Sonic will likely follow a repetitious road of shitty game design until they tire of making games for the little bastard.

EDIT: That was meant for what Scatta said above, added quote in.

Even if this game does suck, it won't matter. Every Sonic game released for a few years now has had a negative score majority on its reviews-- it doesn't hinder the sales of the games though, because the older generation of gamers aren't the ones contributing to them the most anymore. I would wager that Sonic will likely follow a repetitious road of shitty game design until they tire of making games for the little bastard.

EDIT: That was meant for what Scatta said above, added quote in.

I disagree.

Don't get me wrong, DW-- I don't want to believe that that hypothetical paradigm will be the model with which Sega designs its Sonic games, but they've yet to hint otherwise. Wild Fire was the last good Sonic game I played, and I think a lot of that was aided by the Wiimote, honestly. Nextgen was a horrific piece of shit-- I coughed up 5 bucks to rent that unholy dreg of gaming and still wanted my money back when I returned it. Maybe Bioware will make an awesome title with this RPG idea (worked for Mario, though that was Square's masterminding), but the little blue guy simply seems doomed to mediocrity.

DW: I suppose it's not fair to include third parties and this game does have way more going for it with a good developer and all. However, the Sonic franchise in general already has enough crap going on as it is and we know that any sort of story elements presented in this game will end up being drafted over into the main series. As if the broken engines weren't enough- we don't need even more convoluted reboot storylines. Bioware is going to be forced to use certain characters in certain ways and there's bound to be only so much they can do within those bounds so chances are that some of the stupid crap in the franchise will taint this. That and, as pointed out, they're more of a console dev team.

Also, I never said I didn't have a problem with the multiple Mario spinoffs. ;D

Ducky: If Bioware really does pull through with this, regardless of whether it was a DS game or a console game, as you said people would think "Sonic's back." That wouldn't actually be the case, though- Bioware's Sonic would be back. The next game made by "Sonic Team" would still be utter crap. Granted, that won't take away from Bioware's Sonic game(s). It's just that Sonic won't truly be "brought back" by a 3rd-party developer unless that developer because -the- developer.

Roy: Not everyone participates in strikes, and yet they're still worth a try. And as time shows, sometimes they actually work. Either way: even if it wouldn't make a difference. What's so hard about not wasting money on a crumby product? You make it seem like boycotting is only worth it if makes a difference, does it hurt when you don't play a new Sonic game? Do you really need a new Sonic game?

Aerosol: So? If you believe they're going to continue putting forth crap. And you think it's crap. And boycotting won't work. Why keep buying it? You just said you want a good one. If they're not doing that.. why would it be such a huge problem to just refuse to buy their games (aka boycotting)? You simply don't gain anything by purchasing a game you think is crappy. So even if boycotting wouldn't have an effect, it's not going to hurt you. Do you feel you need to play Sonic to live or something? Feel free to clue me in.

Edit: I want to see Shenmue 3 as well.. what's that have to do with boycotting? I feel like I'm completely missing something here.

Scatta, let me remind you what context they made that statement under...

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3157060

Pay good attention to number four, because that is what they were directly responding to when they said that. There is a bite there with the age old Mario to Sonic comparison... and Mario has crap released as much or more often than Sonic does, but it isn't in the main series. Sonic saw Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic 2k6 and even Secret Rings in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 respectively. The problem isn't that they are releasing spinoffs and outsourcing games, its that they aren't spending enough time on each individual game. What goes on in 3rd party groups doesn't matter at all, its what happens in the main group that makes good on that promise.

Anyway, what Bioware does is anyone's guess. They aren't predictable.

Scatta, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I don't really give two shithouse rats and a cat's anus about Sonic games anymore. I'm simply saying that younger kids who haven't broadened their tastes will still buy Sonic games if their fanship is avid enough for the picking. You're kinda making it sound like a political movement or something-- I was strictly making a statement; I haven't bought a Sonic game since SA2.

DW, the fact that the LAST good Sonic was coincidentally the LAST Sonic game also made has nothing to do with quality. While I do confess that Sonic stayed its downhill course after its first lackluster release (was that SA1 or SA2? SA1 seemed to be popular, but I thought it played and handled like garbage) it does not mean that a good release will set the tone for the blue dude either. Also bare in mind that this game makes heavy use of the wiimote (obviously) which actually means many of the game play flaws found in other Sonic games can be eliminated or improved on. Sonic Nextgen preceded Wildfire by only 4 or 5 months and it was a piece of ass pudding.

I don't fault you for disagreeing, but Sonic has nothing left for me in terms of "Could I give a shit?"-ness. Wildfire was fun, but it was hardly redeeming, imo.

1up: And please, for the love of God, don't ever make us see cute human girls making out with Sonic. Ever again.

Whatever Sonic 2006 game that showed up in......that's plain retarded. Nuff Said. Way to go, SEGA, you've really captured are hearts with that. =\

1up: Seriously, we'll hurt you.

QFT.

Why don't we all just spam Sonic Team's mailbox with that article? Better than boycotting and them still getting sales because of dim-witted kids, I spose.

Whatever Sonic 2006 game that showed up in......that's plain retarded. Nuff Said.

QFT.

That was Sonic 2k7, TRD.

That was Sonic 2k7, TRD.

Well, that just killed it for me. They must've been looking at hentai or something to come up with an idea as dumb as that.

If I ever get the chance to play that game, I'm skipping the cutscenes, seriously that's just so stupid that I don't even want to look at it.

My view of Sonic RPG:

Sonic defeated Eggman 1

Sonic gained 300 exp

Sonic leveled up!

Sonic learned Run!

Sonic got Running Shoes!

Sonic got Spindash Shoes!

Asshattery aside, the concept of a speedy platformer into an RPG will NOT work together, no matter what you do. the only thing you can do at the moment is make a mediocre game that hopes to play well.

suppose that's what happens to series when they run out of idea's