A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What made the 2D Sonic games so great?

Nebula

Everyone knows that since Sonic games came out in 3D, his reputation has really been falling. So what made the 2D Sonic games so great? This is also research for myself as Id like to make a fangame soon.

The Good

1st - In Sonic CD ts actually a challenge, you dont just have to run from left to right, you need to search around for things, you can time travel, destroy a roboticizer to create a Good Future. Then of course defeat Robotnik/Eggmans machine. Such a simple idea, but harder than it sounds.

2nd - The music really suits the stages. They always have.

3rd - The levels and storylines are original with new and interesting characters, not to mention the different boss machines Robotnik/Eggman brings out all the time.

4th - Its possible to play as Super Sonic anytime during the game you wanted after you got the Chaos Emeralds.

5th - The bosses are awesome especially in all the new 3D games, Perfect Chaos, Biolizard and Metal Sonic.

6th - The difficulty has improved in Sonic Heroes compared to Sonic Adventure.

The Bad

1st - The other games were too easy to complete especially the new 3D games. Not to mention when you could easily defeat the boss as Super Sonic all the time!

2nd - The camera angles change at the most inappropriate time in SA and appartently in the new Next Gen Sonic game.

3rd - There is only one opportunity to play as Super Sonic at the end of the game to beat the huge boss.

4th - There are meaningless missions like in SA Directors Cut. This could be changed to include something more exciting. Same apparently in the new Next Gen Sonic game.

5th - There is basically no thinking involved, its just running fast and jumping at specific times, no searching what-so-ever, except in SA2 with Knuckles and Rouge which is good. Specifically the new Next Gen Sonic game. In SA2 I wanted more boarding like in City Escape!

6th - Its almost impossible to get "A" Rank in battles, like in Sonic Heroes. To get it you have to complete it in like 30 seconds! What?!

These are just a few things off the top of my head.

I think it's the 2D enviroment... Seriously, I have much more fun playing 2D games than playing 3D ones, not speaking just about sonic.

There are other reasons too like linear-boring-long stages, lack of gimmicks and meaningless storylines...

Guest Shadix

This would be more suitable in the debate forum, although this is a pointless topic to bring up because as you have probably seen, the responses haven't been all that insightful.

We've had this topic before. NOBODY KNOWS WHY THE 3D GAMES SUCK SO MUCH.

:D

Edit: oyea, Sonic CD was cheap easy.

"5th - The bosses are awesome especially in all the new 3D games, Perfect Chaos, Biolizard and Metal Sonic."

"1st - The other games were too easy to complete especially the new 3D games. Not to mention when you could easily defeat the boss as Super Sonic all the time!"

Totally contradictory.

If DW didn't (apparently) already start documenting this issue, I was gonna say that we convert this thread from a bashing of this kid into a community-contributed research topic.

In other words, people post their opinions and in the first, top post, we bullet the main point. That way, in a few weeks, we'd have a huge megalist of pros/cons. Consider it a research document of sorts. It can be stickied and linked to in the R/D forum maybe even.

Turn those frowns upside down!

I dont see why people praise sonic cd so much...it wasnt that amazing damnit

QFT. I honestly think it's one of the lesser games. :D

(Sonic 3, Sonic 3k, Sonic 2, Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic 3D. So shoot me, I didn't like it that much.)

Sonic 3D Blast owns. (Genesis, not Saturn, I haven't played that one.)

But honestly, is people STILL gonna complain about 3D sonic?

(Meaning those who still make these topics)

3D sonic has some issues, however it's like a breath of fresh air and it DOES have it's benefits.

Things like this makes me wonder why people don't complain about 3D mario, and 3D mario did have issues.

(Take note, that I'm not complaing about 3D mario.)

3D sonic has some issues, however it's like a breath of fresh air and it DOES have it's benefits.

Things like this makes me wonder why people don't complain about 3D mario, and 3D mario did have issues.

Breath of fresh air? You mean...the same glitch ridden game repackaged every year? A "polished TuRD" if you will?

Plus, where are the faults with 3D Mario? I don' see 'em. Show me (with evidence and not just talking like the slo-mo who started this thread).