A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic and the Secret Rings update

Serephim

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, all things considered you seem to have missed the videos and the previews for certain.

And there was an obscure demo offering in Famitsu. It just hasn't been made available yet. Its also been demo'd in various kiosks at trade shows. And so far, previews are positive.

Seriously dude, don't stick your head into a place you know nothing about.

And there was an obscure demo offering in Famitsu. It just hasn't been made available yet. Its also been demo'd in various kiosks at trade shows.

Take it you're talking about this, then. Which was also what I was talking about. Kthnx.

IGN and GameSpot have copies of the game and the impressions are mostly positive. If you read the rest of the thread, you wouldn't have to be a prick.

Meh. Gamespot, fair enough. IGN, less so. Also, no need to jump on my back because I don't think this'll be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So before this gets out of hand. All I've seen from this game are trailers and screenshots. I also like how the story's even more retarded than Next and Rivals, but I can let that slide.

I mean, fair enough if more than 2 websites previewed the game and like it. Fair enough if we get a lot of positive feedback from the demos. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate until I get something concrete to convince me that this actually is a good game and that I should look forward to it.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm pissing in your Cheerios, but we've been through this cycle with a lot of other games. Heroes. Rush. Rivals. Next. Riders...? Granted, some of those games were more explicit in their suckitude, but there you go.

See the thing is, I, personally, never got drawn in by or excited about any of those games (especially ones on non-Nintendo consoles, because I don't own them and I only rented the ones that were), so getting this excited over a new Sonic game is new to me. I'm so sorry that I'm happy for something.

You don't think I know what you've been getting at? I know the cycle, I know what you're talking about, but I don't feel that way this time around. Earlier in the thread (since you didn't obviously read any of it, I'll recap), I said I wouldn't get overtly excited about this game, because I don't want to feel disappointed if it sucked. After watching all these videos and reading numerous previews, my attitude's changed.

End of discussion. Back to Secret Rings stuff.

Since I guess previews was kinda asked for...

Pro-G's preview

1up's preview of the multiplayer

Offcial Nintendo Magazine (UK) is doing a 8 paged review

GamesMaster (UK mag) say:

GM loves: The depth to the handling and skill settings, seems to have massive replay value.

GM hates: Some handling niggles, some dodgy soundtrack and voice work.

IGNs preview

Sonic Stadium's preview

CVG preview

There seems to be some control issues (CVGs preview going as far as claiming made the game unplayable) but all other previews have said its due to the Wii's learning curve.

And the general public have had a chance to try the games in a convention, can't exactly remember which one though.

They also loved the hell out of Sonic Heroes. We don't.

I agree with Steven. To hell if I'm taking any chances with this one...

IGN from what I remember, gave Sonic Heroes a 7, but I do remember both IGN and Gamespot weren't very forgiving with either Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic the Hedgehog 06

Hey, Steven. My buddy, my pal. You want to stop being so crappy to everyone?

As far as your comment. You ask "Where's the Gameplay" and they say "omb the story sounds retarded." You do realize one has virtually no effect on the other outside of atmosphere, yes? Second, not all that many people were interested in Rivals to begin with and I remember a good few of us who actually liked Riders. Same goes for Rush and Heroes. In fact, Rush was pretty well recieved here. In fact the complaint I've heard most often about that game had to do with the music. Which is negligble at best. Granted not everyone here liked Rush, Riders, or Heroes but a good handful did. And afterall: not everyone is going to like everything anyway. Also, what Aki said works wonders.

As far as this topic, let's avoid turning it into a "OMB THIS WILL SUCK EVERYON SUNICK R DEAD." It's fine to say you're not excited about it but let's not start being sarcastic idiots.

Saw this on Sonic CulT:

Game On (channel 177 on Comcast Cable at 9 Pm Friday's) rated the game 92%,stating that this Sonic game reinvents with something new yet familiar, and is currently the second best Wii game (Twilight Princess is first).

Pros-

Fast, enjoyable gameplay

Tons of replay value

Good camera

Good controls that-once you get used to them-work with the game nicely

Story that is funny on purpose

Enjoyable multiplayer

Japanese voices available

Cons-

English VA's

Annoying helper Shahra

Some level up powers seem like they should have been available from the start

Sure, it looks nice, but so did Next. Where's the gameplay? Demos? Previews?

....Where were you the last 19 pages of this topic?

Okay, I dont really see what all the Preview fuss is about, since this is the first sonic game in a REALLY long time to actully advertise itself with Gameplay instead of retarded CGIs. (Although the CGI's ive seen are amazing, on par with Next with a different style.)

Another Plus is that Mostly everyone has gotten a chance to PHYSICALLY preview this game, and they all claim its pretty fun. Unlike Next, where the first few demos they got were so bad the only excuse was that it was an Early copy. Next CERTANTLY looked as awesome as this though, but after the game was properly reviewed with no time limitations, they quickly found the same problems i found in Best Buy one day. >_>

Yet another plus is that we've actully viewed entire levels of this game, seen them change yet again for the better, and have been told they actully get alot longer.

Although, IGN still is a wonky source to gather information. Although they usually give disliked reviews, their actully VIDEOGAME reviews. Such as with FFX-2 which got a 10. Although it was pretty stupid/short/lacked Final Fantasy elements, the game alone did indeed deserve a 10. Thats the same deal with Sonic Heroes. Although we dislike the story and a few elements, that game really did (from a pure engine standpoint) deserve the much higher rating than SADX and SA2B that it got. It was faster, much longer, and a damn lot prettier, although it seriously lacked what we were looking for. (i still found it pretty fun to play Super Hard mode with Team Sonic, although i believe it should have been avaliable from the start.)

EDIT:

Although i am seeing a few problems that can lead to the same problems we had with some of the other games.

Like in that video IGN has "Evil Foundry Begins". At the start, sonic is seen WALKING down a 90 degree vertical wall. Walking slow enough that if he had fallen, he would have hit the ground alot quicker.

Ageia PhysiX my ass.

Slightly OT here:

Such as with FFX-2 which got a 10. Although it was pretty stupid/short/lacked Final Fantasy elements, the game alone did indeed deserve a 10.

THANK YOU! About time somebody aside from me was able to look past the fanservice.

And I am in the process of creating the "Race for the Secret Rings" event. If interested PM me and DO NOT OPEN YOUR COPY OF SONIC AND THE SECRET RINGS WHEN YOU GET IT!

Sonic Heroes didn't deserve a high score. The level design sucked total balls (more so than Shadow) and the length was completely artificial. So I'm definitely going to say that the Dreamcast ports deserved a higher score.

I'm sorry, but no matter how you look at it that game was blatantly a bad game. The lack of memorability and variety outright kills its value as a game, god forbid as a Sonic game.

Also, from an engine standpoint it deserves a worse score than Shadow the Hedgehog... as the Heroes engine was the buggiest engine I've seen of ANY Sonic engine in 3D... not to mention the most overly complicated and plain un-fun.

And Seraph, you clearly have no idea how the physics engine is used in the game. I don't think I've ever seen a physics engine adapted for wall running.

Honestly, I can think of no reason for Sonic Heroes to have scored higher than even Shadow the Hedgehog... it was that bad on all facets.