A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Archie Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic Universe

I've noticed that there is no pre-existing thread for the Sonic comics so I decided to do it first~ But first, a few rules...

1. This thread is for discussion on the comics in both of the Sonic titles. There shouldn't be much on other comics unless they pertain to these two (Like MegaMan during the crossover). Also, none of that UK comic stuff around here! (Unless it is relevant)

2. Let's try to be nice to everyone! Honest criticism is always welcome, but insults are not tolerated.

3. Also, please try to keep spoilers hidden for those who don't want to see them. An issue can be considered non-spoilerable about a week from it's release, but hide them until then.

4.Finally, let's have fun with this! I'll personally add in preview pages and useful stuff when I can, but it is up to you to make this enjoyable.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get discussing! First topic: How is everyone enjoying the crossover?

Edited by ZonicZoneCop

It's pretty good. I'm really digging the Eggman/Wily friendship. There both deranged enough to make that possible. XD

The Sonic Archie comics have been getting real good in the story department since the return of the Death Egg and Mecha Sally. I've been collecting the "World's Collide" story arc lately. It's pretty epic, especially since it's the most issues for Archie to do for a crossover.

• Like 1

Character development's been pretty solid, but all the retconning ruins earlier issues. I refuse to believe Geoffrey ever swore fealty to the order of Ixis. It's cool for a twist, but it completely ruins his character. Yeah his character is made more dynamic now as a result, but it's at the cost of his character from early in the book. If you didn't experience those stories when they first came out, it will be completely different for you than it was for me and other people. Some of this character development just isn't planned out properly and sacrifices previous story structure. It's hard to explain for me. Instead of letting the characters write their own stories, the author is taking liberties of changing the character, but they are either subtle about it, or they explain something that didnt make sense before by adding in details that dont make sense except they make sense because they're canon.

Confusing? Just move on. I'm not even subscribed anymore. I started collecting w/ the Sonic & Knuckles adaptation, and I stopped at the Sonic 3 cover (228). It wasn't intentional, but it's a pretty neat coincidence.

Edited by lone8643
  • Like 2

Character development's been pretty solid, but all the retconning ruins earlier issues. I refuse to believe Geoffrey ever swore fealty to the order of Ixis. It's cool for a twist, but it completely ruins his character. Yeah his character is made more dynamic now as a result, but it's at the cost of his character from early in the book. 

He always seemed like he served Ixis out of a duty, like a necessary evil. I assume it'll be wrapped up in due time.

I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of the comics. I did enjoy Part 1 of the Genesis saga, but later parts seemed to giveway to more SatAM influence rather than focus on Sonic and Tails. I occasionally buy those little booklets, I think they're called the Super Digest series? I haven't read them much. Maybe it's time I stop buying the comics since I've lost interest.

If you like a focus on Sonic and Tails, read issues 56-67 I think it is. They are the best of the entire series: Sonic and Tails go adventuring around the globe in search of Ixis Naugus (when he was a cooler character) and while other characters do show up, you get a very nice dynamic of that Sonic & Tails on an adventure! (56 is just awesome and 57 is a review of issues 0-3 and 1-56).

I actually drew up a draft and chain of levels for this story arc as a fangame, but it sits untouched in a composition notebook. i got sidetracked drafting up another game idea....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll be honest, I was never a fan. I heard that they did some kind of reboot and its good now but I havn't got the chance to read it.

I actually do own a few on my Iphone. I bought the shadow saga... It was weird. I remember the first one being decent, where Shadow was in blaze's world fighting metal sonic then metal sonic got blown to bits by a cannon (Im gonna say that part is "Puts on sunglasses" Non-canon YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

But later parts just got weird, like team dark going into this weird dimension where god was this giant panda who protects the emerald and it was all discoy and stuff. To bad jokes from SHADOW OF ALL PEOPLE!

But I also have most his first issues and his 100th anniversary and a few more. I can tell the difference beween the 1st issue and his 100th, the quality is much better and I think he has over 300 last I checked (Maybe even over 400 at this point) Although for the price of each comic and how many they are, I doubt I will get into them any time soon (if at all)

I love, love, LOVE the Archie series. It's a BIG part of what got me back into Sonic a few years ago. I thought the recent Worlds Collide crossover was wonderful, much better than the event books Marvel and DC have done for the last little while. The series really does deliver more than what you'd expect from the standard "based on a video game" concept. The characters, culture and world are developed really well, the writing is tight and the art, for the most part, is really good. 

I'd like to know what it is you don't like about it, Pharaoh Shadon, but from what you said it sounds like you've only read it before Ian Flynn came on board as writer (the reboot you mention. It wasn't really a reboot, but that's another story). I've been getting the Archives collections and some of that early stuff is REALLY hard to get through -really juvenile humour with terrible puns - by Flynn has done an amazing job!

Archie's Sonic is easily in my top 5 comic series at the moment (and I read a lot!) and it's easily one of the best all-ages titles out there.