A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the RPG - System Demo Available

Majin Sam

but...why?

Because they were illegally translated to English, and Enterbrain had no intention on releasing the series in American for home computers.

It's just that, with RPG maker it isn't really your own game. You've already got the engine and template laid out in front of you...

That's the same complaint they use about fangames at Game Maker Forums...

Don't forget to mention the frequency of crappy games, either... <_<

he forgot to put that file in. its from the RTP. whenever you release an rpg maker game, you should put it all RTP files used so that people with rpg maker can use it. and also change that flag.

eh, it USED to be illegal, until enterbrain made it freeware.

I don't remember enterbrain every releasing it as freeware. According to their website, it still says it costs ¥9,800. You can still download the Japanese RTP, but it doesn't work with the English version.

RPG Maker 95, 2000, and 2K3 were all illegally translated (the latter two were done mostly by Don Miguel).

The RMXP was released in English by enterbrain, though.

Guys, it's not the engine that counts, it's what you do with it. RM2k3 has alot less limits than you think, most of it's apparent limitations have been overcome many times over.

Also, if anyone else is getting the system4 error, then take this image

SkinsTank-BahamutLagoon.bmp

and place it under the folder System1 with the filename system4.png

I don't remember enterbrain every releasing it as freeware. According to their website, it still says it costs ¥9,800. You can still download the Japanese RTP, but it doesn't work with the English version.

RPG Maker 95, 2000, and 2K3 were all illegally translated (the latter two were done mostly by Don Miguel).

The RMXP was released in English by enterbrain, though.

oh, xp was what i was thinking of.

Yea, that goes with any program. Some people just like to ignore that fact whenever someone comes by with something different. 'Twas the same with GM. I thought we had gotten past this, but apparently not.

I guess I'll play the next release. Hopefully you'll turn off whatever flag that is. Good luck.

DW: I didn't mean ignore the game. I'm not playing it for the exact same reason.

Rael: Neither sound especially awesome. I say that if he truly has a plot figured out, take an important part of the plot or sum it up in a few words. Similar to Sonic and the Secret Rings. It's effective and sounds quite a bit better.

• 2 weeks later...

Handbags at dawn !

I was interested by your post and you seem to be going through all the proper processes with your project. It looks good from the screenshots, but I've never, never used RPG Maker and so i don't know anything about it's limitations.

I can see where some people are coming from, where you're already supplied with an engine and in that sense any game made using it are somehow all clones of each other. You seem to have the right attitude, and perhaps you should consider moving to another game creator where you're ideas can flourish properly..

Or, put this project on hold and make something a bit small scale until you're familiar with another program and have the skills to give a Sonic RPG the quality it deserves.

Sonic: The RPG . . I like the title, it's bold and honest.

I vaguely remember a fangame that was demoed here a long while back using RPG Maker... It was interesting to say the least, but not much change from the basic RPGMaker Engine, just with Sonic Graphics and made actionstage style..

From the way you put it, it seems like you plan to do more than that...

All I can say at this point is good luck with it, and be sure to focus on the level design greatly... For a game with this style, that alone can make or break it more than anything else...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...